Ask A Local

I've lived overseas and I know how difficult/frustrating it can be to find out information about very basic things about a country you're looking to move to, when you are living in another country. I'm now living in Barbados again and I thought I'd start a thread to see if I can help out some you who want to know general basic/miscellaneous things about Barbados and life here or just a local perspective on some things. Obviously I don't know everything but I'll do my best to help or hopefully point you in the right direction.

Bajanstz,

Thanks, and this is good to know. We are in the process of selling our house now, and we will be involved in shipping and finding a place to live. I have  lines on shippers, and cariblist for a place to live. I am sure I will have questions as I move through the processes.

Hi fletchh,

Hope the process goes pretty smoothly for you. Hopefully I can help with whatever questions you find yourself asking :)

bajanstz,

Considering we are looking forward to living in Barbados, and we will visit the immigration office at the careenage, is it a problem to come with a one way ticket?  Many countries do not want people showing up with one way tickets, and I can understand that policy, but is it a problem in Barbados?

Hello fletchh,

As far as I know Barbados takes a similar stance as other countries regarding one way tickets. I'm not sure of your exact situation eg if you're planning to live and work here and you have a job offer etc so that could of course influence immigration but my advice would be to err on the side of caution and get a return ticket to avoid any unnecessary problems/issues with immigration.

I'll see if I'm able to find out anything more for you though

I plan on staying retired, as I enjoy it. My wife is  a speech pathologists and has made contacts and understands what she wants so do. I have to admit that I agree about the ticket, but if you find anything else out, please let me know.
Thanks again.

bajanstz,

We are getting ready to ship our personal items to include 2 bicycles next week. We are only shipping personal items,  but as far as personal items go, which ones are subject to duty and which ones will they let pass?