Home Broadband Choices

I have read several threads on this topic, but they are a little dated so I just want to solicit opinions again.

My landlord provides my internet. It is not working right now though. The provider won't deal with me because I am not the account holder. The landlord doesn't have time to deal with this for me. He now wants to take away the internet and credit me the amount off my rent. But then I have to get my own internet.

I rather not sign a 12-month contract, but I might have to I think. Regardless, I'm now at a loss where to start with getting my own internet. I have Viva now (though it has gone dead yesterday and today and tech support won't even discuss it with me). I know Viva works (usually) in my building. But can I get a Batelco service and just plug and play the same way or will some sort of installation be required? Is there an advantage of one over the other?

Thanks.

I personally prefer VIVA but you can get Batelco as well. Just make sure your internet connection is over 3G/4G and not an ADSL connection which also requires an active phone line in your flat. Connections over 3G/4G are portable, meaning you can just take the device with you to wherever you go and it will continue to work. If you get one of the portable rechargeable modems as well, it's even easier.

The telephone lines and internet lines are two totally seperate things in Bahrain. I have ADSL and no telephone line. I use a company called Rapid Telecom and in my area I only get 2mb per second but they put an antenna on my roof so now I get 8 or 9.

Menatelecom has a device that you can take everywhere but the signal strength (like all of them) depends on your area. Best bet is to contact Zain, Menatelecom, Batelco etc and ask them to run a test in your area. See who offers the best deal regarding data usage, some offer 25mb per month whilst some offer 250mb. Research over the net or on foot through the stores is really the only way as it all depends on where you live

Thanks for the inputs.
I went with Viva. It was the easiest. They gave me the router on the spot and it was plug and play so no installation or waiting was required.
I found it rather expensive to get the speed and traffic I preferred so I went with I thought was enough. Hope that won't be a mistake!

No Stakan, you made the right thing. The speed on VIVA is the fastest in Bahrain.