Living in Suva, Fiji

Bula Vinaka All, I recently sent this message in reply to a query about moving to Suva and then thought maybe it would be a good idea to post it for everyone...
We've been here for nearly 7yrs and still love it. The locals are the friendliest people in the world, they are full of smiles, kind, caring and although most do not own or earn much they are generous. The coupe has had a very positive influence on life here and Fiji is possibly the safest place on earth to live. Barring rainy season, they say it rains every-day here, probably true, though the reality is it rains for 30-60mins which is why Suva is so beautifully green and lush. Fortunately because of the tropical climate, in approximately 15mins all is dry again. The cost of living can vary depending on your tastes so I'll just write a few examples for your perusal in FJ dollar…

The food available in Suva is wonderful. Everything is grown organically and arrives fresh each day at the markets.  Most produce eg; lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, chilies, garlic, egg-plant – (an almost endless list) – and there's a huge variety of tropical fruits, all the above is sold in bundles from $1. – $4.00 We've found the local beef, lamb, goat and poultry not only better tasting but cheaper than it would cost in NZ. The seafood available is amazing and even cheaper than other meats.  Basic needs like sugar, rice, flour etc average around $2. per kilo. Because of its wonderful sugar Fiji produces some very good spirits at very reasonable prices ie; 750ml bottle $39. and beers about $3.00 All wines are imported and range from $12. – $120.00 per bottle and are good value because of a low tax duty. Housing rentals are charged by a per month basis. 3brm houses are available from $1200. – $4k. A friend of ours recently leased a brand new 2brm executive apartment, fully furnished, air conditioned, 24hr security, swimming pool and in a great area for $2k. An electric bill averages $100 per month. Water costs about $100. per year. A Fiji Telecom home-line is $11.50 per month + your calls @ .12cents per min. Fiji also has Vodafone mobile and others eg; Digicel and Ink who undercut Vodafone. There are plenty of activities, excellent shopping, markets, shows, art-galleries and lots of sporting clubs… When you feel like a break from town, almost all resorts in Fiji offer a ‘local rate' which makes them affordable to enjoy. Public transport is very cheap eg; a seat on the best coach-bus from Suva to Nadi costs $22. Taxis are $1.50 to flag + $1. per km. Cars are a luxury item and pricing them is like guessing the length of a piece of string but you could probably find something decent (2nd-hand) for 8k.

Best Regards, 

kiwi_expat

:top: kiwi_expat!

Hi

I found the blog about life in Suva really interesting and useful. We are hoping to be making the move to Suva mid August and had/have tons of questions about daily life there.

My husband and I are coming from NZ and are looking at medical insurance for our stay in Suva (3 years in the first instance). Do you have any recommendations as to a healthcare provider?  We have no private health cover in NZ but are currently searching throng the options, although my husband has cover through his workplace.

Many thanks Patty

Hi Kiwi expat, are you still living in Fiji? I found your comments helpful and would love to touch base with you to learn more about 'updated' experiences. my wife and I may be moving in Oct (2013). thank you.

Hi nsadraz,

Please note that this discussion is dated.. 2012 :D

You can start a new topic with all you questions or even for the sharing of informations on the Fiji Forum as it might be interesting ;)

Again I hope you get some feedback soon

Best wishes to you and your wife

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Bula vinaka Patty, sorry I can't help with info on health insurance as I have never bothered with it, although like you my husband is covered by his work-place... :)

Bula vinaka nsadraz, Yes we are still living in Suva and LOVE it… Prehaps you would like to ask moi more questions through my mail box? :)

thank you very much for your message. I am not sure what a mailbox is, but my email address is [email protected]. I would appreciate if you kindly email me so that I can pick your brain a bit. many thanks.

Bula vinaka nsadraz, if you click on my name (kiwi-expat) my profile page will open, then click on ‘send a message' box and your message will be sent to my mailbox… Vinaka vakalevu :)

Do you think it's possible to move to Fiji a $1600 a month budget? That's for rent, food, electric and everything else?

Cobra7 wrote:

Do you think it's possible to move to Fiji a $1600 a month budget? That's for rent, food, electric and everything else?

If you mean $1600 FJ currency, you can do it but it wouldn't be a very flexible lifestyle.  Expats who retire in Fiji (permit reads 'assured income') are required to bring in $30,000 FJ per year ($17,000 USD) per person/couple.

Hi ,

I am a surgeon planning to move to suva . I have a contract with FNU . Kindly let me know the cost of living etc. and also regarding the housing  and transportation.

Try this website for cost of living and other information. www.numbeo.com

Hello stumpy my name is chris we had the pleasure of being in fiji 4years ago have not stopped thinking about our time there we have talking about living there I I was wondering if you could  tell me a bit about a person would go with work and living it would help out working out if it would be good for the family :)

Chrisbo57 wrote:

Hello stumpy my name is chris we had the pleasure of being in fiji 4years ago have not stopped thinking about our time there we have talking about living there I I was wondering if you could  tell me a bit about a person would go with work and living it would help out working out if it would be good for the family :)

Hi and welcome to Expat.com.

I suggest you read through all the posts on the Fiji forum for information. To get a work there you have to find a company who is seeking an expat and apply. All depends on what type of work you are looking for.

You could try a Google search for work.

Can I get any Job withing three month

Can you help me get any body can help me get invitatation letter