Nice neighborhood for a family

Hi,

I am planning to move from Sweden to Cape Town with my family. We have two daughters, 4 and 6, and would like to live in an area with other families and close to school. We love outdoor activities and seek à safe place and would prefer to live in a house. Would very much appreciate advice on places to live, maybe security estates or similar? I have heard a lot of good things about the southern suburbs and the Atlantic seaboard but would love to hear from real experience.

Kind regards
Christian

Cape Town is a great place for outdoor activities.  Especially anything to do with water and mountains.  Any area coastal along the cape is safe for families.  Simon's Town, Camps Bay, Hout Bay, Fish Hoek, Kommetjie, Muizenberg are all good.

I am from the Netherlands and have a house in Sunset Beach an upmarket village 12 minutes from the Cape Bowl . I use it mostly as my summer house because for my daugther we had to go back to the Netherlands. With all the house owners we installed our own  Crime Watch why it is very safe. My daughter of 15 years old goes to Parklands College a private school in Parklands ten minutes drive from Sunset Beach when we are here. There are more private schools like Elkanah and the international School. Parklands is my favourite because they have great sport opportunities and most of all are very good with children from overseas which English is not their mother language. They have a preprimary, primary and high school so my daugther is already from the age of 3 years old in this school.  We love the beach and are involved in a lot of activities like windsurfing, kitesurfing and supping. My daughter became this year vice champion Wavesupping in the Netherlands thanks to our outdoor watersport live. If you have questions you can e-mail me. GL Simone

The places you've mentioned...are overpriced and overcrowded. We lived and still have our house in Parklands on the Sunningdale side, off Sandown Road. There are many beautiful houses at much more realistic prices. To own or rent. On the Sandown stretch,  you have firstly a top private hospital  (which I have worked at before relocating to Mozambique), a range of stores grocery stores, I.e. Pick n Pay, Woolworths, Checkers, and a MASSIVE  brand new Food Lovers Market, a Virgin Active gym, huge Builders Warehouse and at the end of that stretch is Parklands College. I actually miss Cape Town just mentioning all these convenient places.

The Parklands, Sunningdale area has many security complexes. This area is quite safe. One would obviously take the usual precautions. Also a very family orientated community. 
Take a five minute drive north towards Big Bay to Eden on the Bay for a variety of beachfront reataurants for awesome sundowners while your kids play on the beach. A five minute drive west to Blouberstrand, for surfing, kite surfing,  and other "beach" activities. Great and very safe for your daily jogging too.

The West Coast National Park is great for some outdoor activities.  Please google this place for more info to suit you. There's game and nature reserves on the West coast. Especially great if you want to get away from hoards of tourists in normal touristy places like the Cape Penninsula. Trust me...the Penninsula  over the festive season is a nightmare.

I have soooo much insight on Cape Town and surrounds Please feel free to email me should you want more info.

Thank you so much for the information, how can I contact you?

Kind regards
Christian

Hi there,

Did you find anymore information for safety and less expensive places to live around cape town?  My family and with 3 kids are looking to move down to that area but we are just in the researching faze.  I want to check out safety, schooling and things to do around there as well as kids activities like soccer, gymnastics and I'm guessing no hockey lol.  We are from Canada.
Any help for places to start would be great.  Our kids are going into Kindergarten, grade 3 and grade 5.  We are also looking to rent a house.
Thanks K

Cape Town is a very safe city and a great place for families.  As with anywhere else in the world, higher quality generally requires higher fees.

Hi,
I've been away for a while but it is now clear that we will move in July next year, very exciting. We have heard a lot of good things about the American school so that's our first choice right now. We will most likely chose a security estate close to school, don't know which one, we would like to live where other kids live. Hout Bay is also an option but I don't know anything about the international school there, can anyone please advise.
Thanks
Christian