Are there any EUROPEAN expat communities in CR?

Hello....new here.
Been looking into moving to Costa Rica for about 2,5 years now...studying all the ins and outs and trying to make a decision on where to live and doing homework as to our pension and if it will be able to take us there.

We were here last year and looked into Santa Ana, Rincon de la Vieja, Lake Arenal and Quepos (Portalon)

The part of Costa Rica that we found to be really nice was in the area from Dominical to San Isidro, in the mountains yet close to beaches.
We will be looking into different spots when coming over again in Jan/Febr 2014.
Those spots being Orosi, Biolley near Buenos Aires (very remote), Punta Banco, Manuel Antonio and Dominical towards San Isidro in the mountains

My wife however is starting to get worried because she thinks she will not be able to talk to people anymore, she's from the UK (I'm Dutch) and will go crazy! We live in Belgium and she has that problem over here and when we still lived in Netherlands.

We'll both be 65 when we come over to live there.

Are there any EUROPEAN EXPAT COMMUNITIES in rural areas along the Pacific coast up in the mountains?

Hoping to hear from you soon.

The British community is quite active in the Central Valley and hold a celebration for the Queens birthday every year, that hundreds of expats, attend.

We purchased property in a community called Altos de Antigua.  The terrain and climate is very similar to that near San Isidro de General where we also looked extensively.  There is one Danish owner, a couple of people from Costa Rica, three from the U.S.A., and quite a few Canadians.  There is a good map on the link I gave you above.  There is a road that has been in existence for years that goes to the town of Parrita on the west coast.  It was in poor shape but is being redone to help take some of the traffic off the upper west coast highway.  Right now the trip takes about an hour from our property.
Cheers .... Terry

Talking of Buenos Aires, this place is one of the top 'hot spots'  for lightening strikes ...and less chance of having any expats as neighbors.

Thank you cupacoffee...do you know of any (european-uk) expat communities on the west coast?

Thanks TerrynViv..will be checking it out.
When we stay at Manuel Antonio we could do that area by car I guess.

Yes you can, the only tricky part is finding the road that goes up from Parrita.  If you will be using a GPS I could send you the coordinates of the turn off.  We are renting a house at Altos de Antigua for two weeks starting January 19th.  We will be there to pick out tiles, counters, cabinets, etc.  If you are there at the same time I could show you around the complex.  It has a gate on Phase 1 and Phase 2.
Cheers .... Terry

We'll be in Manuel Antonio from 14-21 Febr....pity.
We will be in Dominical from 22-25 Jan. but have a very tight schedule then. If you send me the co-ordinates we will see what we can do.  Thanks.

If you are heading north through Parrita the turn off will be on the right side of the road on the way out.  The coordinates for the turn off are N 09 32.097 and W 084 22.753.  It starts out paved and then turns to dirt.  The coordinates of Altos de Antigua are N 09 47.238 and W 084 23.370  If you do make it that far you can call Brian McLane (the developer) at 506-2416-4044 and if he is around he will most certainly show you around.  Good Luck!!!
Cheers .... Terry

Guy Fawkes bonfire held annually at the Club del Mar, in Jaco, which means there will be Brit's involved. Sheelagh Richards and her husband have a B&B in San Isidro, so advise you to try and contact them for additional  info on where the Brits hang out...

jordan6223
Look in Facebook. There are tons of groups in Facebook for the expats living in Costa Rica.

Regards,

Rafael Valverde

Costa Rica is being flooded with people from every European country.  The ones in our area claim they made the decision to retire in Costa Rica to escape the Islamification of their country.

Hola!
I just arrived in Costa Rica about a month ago. Like you, I am European (Belgian) and would love to have contact with a European community.
The country is great but like every move, it takes time to adjust to a country.
Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any!
Doei!!

Suggest you check out the foreign embassies in Cost Rica  to see what is there.
Note: some Embassies 'team up' with other countries.

Good luck