Communications-WHAT WORKS BEST?

I am Rick Emmerich.  My wife, Dr. Malia and I are in San Miguel de Allende.

We have been here 4 mos.

Is there a cable or dish network that gives a wide variety of Pro Sports from the US?  Pro B Ball, Baseball, Football, etc???

Is there ANY company of combination of companies that will give 99.9% Internet Connection (or better)?  OR, Is that too much to ask down here?  (I work from home and spend all day on the phones which are VOIP)  They shut down when the int. connect fails.

Which phone service do people recommend if they are calling the US/CAN a lot?  Besides VOIP.

We LOVE it here!

I haven't lived there, but I have traveled all over Mexico many times and for many years. I would certainly have cellular phone service as a backup.  Utility reliability has always been an issue there.

Ah, yes the cable problem, I know it well. I think 90% is very unlikely. I haven't seen it. Getting programs from the U.S. is tricky also.  You have to have a cable( I use cablemas). Use "hidemyass" then use something like Hulu+. The modems don't have the range of the modems in the U.S. (30 meters is the max) so you have to experiment with the placement of your Blueray in relation to the modem. We are currently registering 4 bars which will bring in most of what we want. Oh and you need a multi-functional wireless router. We have heard nothing positive on dishes.

Phones are another issue. We use TELCEL which is supposed to have the most range etc. Even cells seem to be effected by the internet. Our problem is thick walls coverage wise. it's variable in building or out, you just have to do the move around until your reception improves thing. We gave up our U.S. phones because coverage was very spotty and expensive. With TELCEL you can buy minutes on line. Be aware those minutes last 60 days , so use or lose them.

Telmex has had very high Internet reliability for me.  The semi-associated (you can pay it on your Telmex bill) Dish satellite service has a large number of ESPN channels.  I don't use the phone much so a $60/yr Skype plan which includes a US phone number gets me to any number in US and Canada at no additional charge.

Telmex's $999MN plan includes unlimited calls to the US and several other countries.

I really don't know how many telephone companies there are.  Axtel doesn't seem very competitive.  They match or nearly match Telmex's rates.  I don't know about reliability.

I tried Megacable twice.  Terrible service.

I wouldn't guarantee 99.9% reliability with any service.  Telmex has been 90+ for sure, how much high, I wouldn't hazard a guess.

I have the most basic pay as you go cell phone plan.  Airtime to the US is about US ,23-.25/min.  Reliability and coverage, my friends tell me Telcel is best.  Ask around, check the websites.  If you know anyone who has been in SMA a long time or someone in business, that's probably your best source.

Telmex must depend on the area, because I have a friend who is switching to cabelmas because of poor service with Telmex here. I guess service depends on location with almost everything.

No argument from me, there.

Everything in Mexico, from the treatment you get at INM to gas delivery or electricity to phone, cable and Internet service depends on where you are, maybe down to the colonia.

Skype is no guarantee either.  A lot of my calls are to California and Nevada.  For about 4 months almost all my calls get a "trouble on the line" message, some are recovered, most are cut.  In the last week, Nevada seems to be a problem.  KY, OH, FL, GA don't seem to be a problem.  It wouldn't surprise me if the problem wasn't right here in Mexico.

Don't think cablemas is available here.  I'll check.

Given the infrastructure decline in the U.S. I wouldn't be surprised either. I know there is a news, information lag there.

I've found the location of the modem is critical especially here. They replaced the old modem with a new modem with less range, but it worked ( the old one not so much ) so in order to get coverage to the back of the property I had to move the modem so that it sits away from walls in a window. The property is one of those divided old properties with the street section and a second building at the back. There was no wi fi reception for the back until I put the modem in the window. It's one of those figure it out yourself things. You might be able to improve your reception by experimenting with the modem position. With the new modems you have about 98 feet ...period.

That's pretty much true anywhere in Mexico.  My studio is pretty much dead center and we get good performance in the kitchen, living room, dining room, bedrooms and even baths.  Go out the front door and nada.  That's no problem.

Telmex is selling repeaters or amplifiers at fairly reasonable prices if you just can't get the signal to reach your farthest corner.  That's pretty new, I think.  I've been paying my bill in person for a couple of years and Tuesday was the first time I saw them on display.  There are two fringe benefits to paying in person besides the main reason.  It's a nice walk which I need as much as I can get and there's a berber who is open at the time I like to go.  He lived in the states for several years and cuts hair like they did in the old days, fast, precise and finished of with a shave around the ears and back of the neck.

Make it fun!

Definitely,we walk a lot, and it makes a big difference. When you walk you find places you didn't know existed, and it's healthy and usually pleasant. If you drive you go right by that shop never seeing it. You also meet people. I looked at some Mexican opals in a shop when we first got here. There I met the jeweler who last week directed me to the shop that did watch repairs. It's not like you can pick up a phone book or the yellow pages to find things like in the U.S.

You meet people, then they recognize you, remember what you like and talk with you. Later they tell you what they know about subjects that interest you, or where to find things. It is the Mexican way.

OH, you can pick up a phonebook and yellow pages, even yellow pages online.  But the effort may not be fruitful.  Any person you come in contact is potentially the source of better information. It can be difficult at times.  I'm looking for a seamstress to do minor repairs on a few garments.  A know where a tailor is but I think is prices are kind of high.  I'd like to see what a seamstress would charge.  My landlady doesn't know, the lady who runs the closest Abarrotes doesn't know, the owner of the hostal I stayed at when I first got here doesn't nor any of the other business people or restaurant servers I've asked.  It's nothing urgent though I may just take them to the tailor.

I haven't been successful with the yellow pages or any other publication. They always direct me to another city, or don't get the actual request and suggest things I'm not asking for. Campeche is pretty small compared to most other Mexican cities. Its also much simpler.You have to make an effort to find it here. Most just drive the two hours to Merida where the yellow pages directed me to go.

The hard part initially is figuring our who might know something and in what category they might put it. A good example is the "hardware" stores. There are stores that have cleaning supplies only and stores that have hardware only. Some things can be found at the Mega seasonally. No WD40 when we wanted to lubricate the locks in July, but they have it now. Of course, now the new Home Depot is finished, so that may change. Less than half the size of US home depots, but still the same store.

When we first came here we asked people who live in other parts of mexico where to find coconut oil. Four people replied  giving different sources where they knew you could definitely get coconut oil. Not here you couldn't, the pharmacist looked at me like I was crazy, the bakery didn't provide it for sale, and there are no quaint little organic shops here. I ordered it from Puerto Vallarta. and they shipped it here until I noted a jar of it at the local GNC. That's the mystery of here, what your are accustomed to finding at the local market or Trader Joes in the States isn't here. It also isn't thought of in the same way it is in the States.
I know a reasonable tailor if you are ever in the area.

I have an advantage if you want to call it that.  Aguascalientes is a two hour bus ride with more malls and stores that don't exist in Zacatecas, though talking with my landlady, people go there because there's a wider selection of the same products.  If I go to Aguascalientes, it would mean renting a car or spending a lot on taxis, so I haven't done that. I also go to McAllen, TX 6 to 10 times a year and can get anything available in the US via Internet.  Still there things we just can come by.  The current item under search is something to seal the exterior doors from the rains.  The prevailing winds direct driving rains right at the doors.  In days gone by, 20-30 years ago, you called the local blacksmith and he did a custom job.  Blacksmiths are dying out or are only interested in big jobs, so none are available here anymore.  There's stuff at Home Depot but it all requires reconstructing the thresholds to eliminate the grooves between floor tiles which seems too much of a project.  Fortunately, so far no damage has been by the water that gets in.

We share another problem it seems. The owner of this house had a fanciful construction plan. She spent money on expensive gimmicks and custom doors in the front and saved money on ready made windows and a slider in the back. The ready made just doesn't fit the 100 year old design well. So we also have a drainage issue when it rains. We have silicon calked again and again yet the rain hits the slider and some water will come in. Part of the problem is the concrete pad in front of the slider is angled wrong so water comes toward instead of away from the door. If it were my house I would call the guy who did the doors in front and have him fix the back.