The other side of the Lithuanian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Lithuania, how would you describe the two sides of your Lithuanian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Lithuania is a quite place, safe, with beautiful landscapes, and you can speak English  with almost everyone. It is not necessary to learn lithuanian.
But if you buy something you can not read the labels because most of them are written in lithuanian, latvian,  polish or russian; and that is very desperate for me. Mainly when I try to buy something specific.

People is not very kind in general, mostly with foreigners.

Everybody asks me why IŽme here because most of the young people try to scape to others countries to earn much money.Salaries are very low ( the minimum is around 240€) ant itŽs very difficult to be hired if you do not speak lithuaninan or russian, or your level of English is really good.

young people can be more open

Some normal things are impossible to do here, for instance to open a bank account. If you do not have a labor contract you can not open a bank account.

The prices are always higher if you are a foreigner, and people in markets or streets try to deceive you.

When I try to speak in Lithuanian they do not understand me ( before even to try it) and they change into English. It is very impolite because IŽm making a great effort to speak their language that it is really difficult. People in general are not very polite.

but nobody screams in public places, or speak low as spandiards... :-)