The other side of the Bangladeshi postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Bangladesh, how would you describe the two sides of your Bangladeshi postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Hello,
Very nice to share my views as you expect. Bangladesh is very nice country, have different types of natural views, many peoples are living in Dhaka, have own heritage areas in old town in Dhaka and Narayangonj. People are very helpful, but communication is  not like professional standard, it is rising up. Political instability may stack the travelers plan. Currently low and order situation is OK. That's it. If anybody needs any specific information then that can be shared on required moment.
Happy to share you.

Regards,

Newaj

It would be nice if I could agree with Newaj, but unfortunately I cannot. I have lived and worked in a number of countries in Asia and Africa, including the last 3 years in Bangladesh, and the simple truth is that Bangladesh is not a nice country, neither for ex[pats nor for the majority of it's citizens. It has a rich cultural heritage, but unfortunately due to corruption, poverty, uncaring attitude and extreme pollution, most of the physical remnants of this culture has destroyed, and what is remaining will be gone very soon.

The corruption, violence, incredible selfishness of the people and lack of caring towards one another, pollution, crime, rapidly increasing cost of living, and the horrendous traffic, make Bangladesh a very hard place to live, and an even harder place to like. Dhaka has deservedly been ranked the most unliveable city in the world for the past couple of years (and other cities such as Chittagong are not much better), and Bangladesh has for many years been ranked in the top 10 most corrupt countries in the world, and although I have tried very hard, with the exception of a small minority of the people whom are wonderful, I find it very difficult to find any redeeming qualities about the country.

Anyone considering moving to Bangladesh, should do so with their eyes open in regard to what they are walking into.  The following blog which was written very recently by a young Bangladesh female journalist, is a very accurate summary of the problems associated with living in Bangladesh:

http://wondersonder.wordpress.com/2013/ … the-world/