Cost of living in the Democratic Republic of Congo

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Don't forget to mention where in the Democratic Republic of Congo you are living.

How much does it cost to live in the Democratic Republic of Congo?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

Dear expat,

Hi. I'm a Indian Citizen who is having more than 6 years of experience in South Africa, Congo, Angol, Ghana & Tanzania. This TOPIC is dedicated to the all the Indian expats (not limited to them only) who is trying a Job here or already having an offer from Employer in Africa.

Following are very IMP points to discuss & know from Employer

1. Try to get reference from someone for the company you are going for
- Salary on monthly basis (Many employers do not pay monthly salaries & they keep your money on hold)
- USD Transfer to India (It cost you to transfer)
- Company reputation
- Work permit (many employer do not make WP & keep rolling to save money)
- Type of accommodation
(They talk good in interview & promise many things but once you are here NOTHING happens same way)

2. Take CONTRACT in writing (these are MUST)
- Basic family medical (Med. treatments are expensive here)
- Company vehicle
- Child schooling
- Paid house expenses(Electricity+Water charges)
- Yearly Paid leave + paid family travel to India

3. Work profile (In here Nothing is fixed , they will ask you to do anything !- BEWARE), you can not change a job in abroad as its ban by law here, so they use this as a weapon against you

4. Working hrs (Many companies work for 12-15 hrs, no time limits, even Sunday & holidays are working days!, I worked same way so BEWARE)

5. Increments (Most of the companies do not have this system, you keep working for same salary for years)

Basically I did not see any much of professionalism, all customized, & this is I have seen with several employees & not alone my experience.

If you need information on any companies in Africa write me back, I will happy to give you true report.

DR Congo is one of the MOST expensive place for EXPAT in the world as per recent research reports.

> accommodation prices
1000 USD minimum for good Apartment, Villa etc in good area of Kinshasa -capital of RDC.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)
EXPAT can not travel in Public transport. Don't even think about that! EXPAT requires his own vehicle

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)
Like Europe.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
No INSURANCE in DR Congo, NO Insurance companies supports Health, Life insurance in DRC. Presently banking sector is coming up & you may get these options.
Medical facilities are good but quality of consultancy & treatment is depends, if you have a major illness do not go for here.

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)
American School (TASOK) 500-700 usd a month
Jewels International School - 300-500 USD a month
Indian school - 150 to 300 USD a month (NOT GOOD EDUCATION)
French school
Belgique school

> energy prices (oil, electricity)
Oil/Petrol - 1.5 2 USD per ltr approx
Electricity - 30-50 USD a month (There is a big electricity cuts, in Kinshasa itself)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
Internet - 300-500 USD , 100-150 USD per month charges (Wifi)
Only Cellphone services available, no Landline.

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant
30 USD per person

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub
1 USD for local beer

> price of the cinema
NO Cinema in Congo !!

FRENCH (official language) & Lingala are main languages of Congo. East congo use Swahili much. English do not have any use

Write me for more details. If you need particular info about EMPLOYER, just write a name & I will tell you ALL !

Few VISA information for DR Congo

Once you have WORK PERMIT & if you wish to go out from Congo. You have to take VISA call Sortie-Retour (In and Out) if you do not get this stamp your Work permit will expire automatically.
This VISA cost you 250 USD.

Air Travel TO-FROM Congo is comparatively expensive, Return ticket to India is 1100 USD approx. (www.expedia.com), you require a Protocol/Agent at Airport (It may very difficult for you to handle Immigration issues) which is 50 USD.

So if you wish to travel on your personal expenses (Medical reasons, attend some urgent matters at your origin country)
This is what to have in your Pocket:

1100 TICKET + 250 VISA + 100 PROTOCOL + 50 TAXI

If you get offer in DR Congo, it should NOT be less than 2500 USD.

Write me back if you need any info.

Few things to think before you take a Job in AFRICA.

For accounts,Import-Export & Sales & Marketing professionals
- Every country has different accounts system, TAX, rules etc. Once you take a Job in AFRICA, you loose your previous credibility, if you think of going back to home country & take a job, will be very difficult. You can not keep up yourself with your Home country's new developments in this area, your experience in AFRICA does not count. Why? System is very different.

- For Sales & Marketing also this applies well. Market is very different, to take a Sales or Marketing job in your Home country (once you go back from AFRICA) you need to start from Lower level may be.

So before taking a JOB in here think 100 times.

Few calculation to make before step in to AFRICA

Most of the Indian Expats make a BIG mistake of Salary calculations, savings etc. Here is the actual FACTS about what do you save.

Example:

Your current salary in India
30000 Rs a month, you have to pay everything from this amount.
You can have Medical & life covers, family to help, friends, festivals to enjoy.

Your offer in AFRICA.

1500 USD a month salary in Hand
-Average spending for family for food etc. - 500 USD minimum
-Your NET saving is 1000 USD a month (50000 Rs in India as per present rate), this saving is only possible if you do not spend for entertainment, parties, tourism etc.

+++ Now actual issue starts here+++
You think you are savings 50000 Rs ! No dear wait,
How much you need to spend from 50000 Rs in India? E.g. taking care of your house, your parents, any other liabilities, Insurance, emergency expenses,unexpected travel to India.
Now just  - minus all this Expenses & count. Got it!!

AFRICA now is no more about savings, its about living a different life style. So again think before you step in here, you are going to loose so much -Your nice career, family, festivals, help & much more.

i swear ur posts are very very helpfull and a bliss to the expat creed. gud going MU god bless u.

m sorry for my mail as i have gone thru the other congo previously. temee about the employer (mentioned in my mail) if u have any idea??

vikas

Hi.Im Jan from Poland.I try to go to DR Congo.First sorry my english is not so good.I have one question.How I find job in DR Congo.I want go there and stay there for all live.What You think.What w`ll be good?Go there and looking for the job or try get job by intrnet.Greeting from Poland.How big is salary per month for one person/mechanic/?

Helo, I suggest u not to go to Congo directly, there is no chance of findings jobs. You can try Internet , try unjobs.org, its good website to find jobs in UNITED NATIONS.

Best of luck.

I am from the Congo, but I have lived as expat as well oustide (in expensive places, too). Life in the Congo is very expensive as said earlier. Jobs are hard to find. If you are looking to start a business however, depending on what you plan to do, this is the country! Before taking a job beware. Living in the congo is liken to a high risk investment---you will either make it big or loose it big. Again like I said, it depends on what you plan to do. You need resilience, a good network of trustworthy people and sound money managing habits. Good luck!

Thanks very much,but how to go to India,Im 59 year old I want  go somhere out and I looing for good friends and good life,but I want to go for rest of my life.What You ting about that?

Greeting from Poland... Jan

Hi janjanx1! Could you please start a new discussion on the Democratic Republic of Congo forum.

Thank you!

Hi Christine.How are You

Hello janjax1 thanks for the information about Congo, could u please add some information about kinshasa...is the city too dangerous? Im gonna live there for two years because of my job...and please add some information about illnesses too.

Thanks a lot for your help

Hi MU,
Hows the family life for Indians there in Lubumbashi.
Hows GroupJumbo ?

Any other peculiar info. pl share with me about Congo.

Thanks in Advance.

I do not have direct experience for the place but I do know about it. Lubumbashi is very quite place! Its very small town without much of happenings. Few guys also complained about boring life after office n on weekends. Someone wants to live a life like that it will great. For making successful deal just read my post above about salary & precautions to have right contract in hand.

Dear MUliving, thanks for the info, this is really useful to know. I heard that Kinshasa is awfully expensive, and this puts some perspective on things.

Dear Sir,

I am Rajneesh Kumar singh, a geologist by profession. Cemaf is offering me USD 3500/Month.
Would you tell me about this company please. I also need information about other india mining comanies establised there.

Regards
Rajneesh

what is the average salary of a geologist in Lubumbashi? and how gud is the company Somika (Cu & Co mining, offering me $3000/month. can family live there?

Welcome to all new members on this topic :)

-> Muliving, you have put some valuable information in this topic which would in fact better come in a new topic as they are not particularly relevant to the title of the topic "Cost of living in Democratic Republic of Congo"!

-> Rajneesh: Please start a new topic on the mining companies; you are :offtopic:

-> Gneiss19: you are :offtopic: please start a new topic

Thanks all for your understanding :)

Cheers
Arlette

good morning

somika is offering me usd 2000 /month for mgr(F & A)in lubumbashi net saving after tax basis.is it reasonable salary for a CA like me,pls. advice me about the cost of living in lubumbashi and safety issues.they are offering me bachlor status now.

Regards,
Tapadwiti

MUliving wrote:

Few VISA information for DR Congo

Once you have WORK PERMIT & if you wish to go out from Congo. You have to take VISA call Sortie-Retour (In and Out) if you do not get this stamp your Work permit will expire automatically.
This VISA cost you 250 USD.

Air Travel TO-FROM Congo is comparatively expensive, Return ticket to India is 1100 USD approx. (expedia.com), you require a Protocol/Agent at Airport (It may very difficult for you to handle Immigration issues) which is 50 USD.

So if you wish to travel on your personal expenses (Medical reasons, attend some urgent matters at your origin country)
This is what to have in your Pocket:

1100 TICKET + 250 VISA + 100 PROTOCOL + 50 TAXI

If you get offer in DR Congo, it should NOT be less than 2500 USD.

Write me back if you need any info.

Dear sir

good morning

I would like to know about safety issues in Lubumbashi & cost of living over there.

kindly help me out b'cos i have job offer for Lubumbashi for usd 2000 p.m.net saving after tax. is it fair for manager level over there.what are other issues which i have to take care before moving to there.

Kindly help me earliest.

With best regards,

Tapadwiti

Good Day MU,
Hope you are doing good. Please can give me name of the companies in Lubumbashi into Beverages and Juice Manufacturing. and how is life in General there for a person from Indian Origin.
Thank you very much

Hi

Could someone please tell me of there experience working with a company named Radiocom in congo kinshasa.I am considering a job offer from this company.Some info on the work culture etc

hey Suresh12

i had also got an offer from this company named RadioCom , Congo
if you have any update regarding the same , pls update us bout some bit of information.

dear all,

kindly let us know any information regarding the Company RadioCom

Dear MU ,

what do you say , if a company like RadioCom is offering a sales position worth USD 3000 a month tax free saving INR , along with other expenses like accomodation , car , fooding , is it a worthy deal to go for it at DRC ? what do you say regarding going out there along with your entire family ? pls guide us with your feedbacks.manas12n

Hi Suresh12 and manas12n,

Welcome on Expat-blog!

You are off topic. The title of this thread is Cost of Living in the Democratic Republic of Congo, i suggest you to start a new topic on the Democratic Republic of Congo forum.

Thank you very much,
Christine

i have offered a job in congo as servrice engineer where machines are to be managed and maintained., the company will provide the housing,and travelling. but the food is mine. they are offering me US800/month. is this salary worth it for food allowance only? Can i still save from this amount? KIndly help. thank You. I am from the PHilippines.

Hey Charles.
800 USD for the foods. It depends on what kind of food do you want to eat. If you cook by yourself, I think It won't be a problem. But if you want to buy food outside, please think again. Most of restaurants here are expensive... At least, you have to pay around 15 - 20 USD anytime you want to eat. And it's standard price and not in a very good restaurant. If you can find the local food, i think it can be cheaper...

hi friend ,i am offered a job in d r congo in new cesamex sprl.

i wanna know if its a reliable company , they r offring me 1200 usd. job profile is pharma marketing.

Rajneesh wrote:

Dear Sir,

I am Rajneesh Kumar singh, a geologist by profession. Cemaf is offering me USD 3500/Month.
Would you tell me about this company please. I also need information about other india mining comanies establised there.

Regards
Rajneesh

Is the salary before or after taxes? Salaries >ca. 2000$ are taxed with 50%.

elie_eg wrote:

i need to know how much would food cost per month

If you want European food from a super market: it comes all from Europe and cost as much as there or even more (500$ a month). If you buy local food on the market, it is a lot cheaper: fufu, kwanga, maniok leaves, ... And if a native neighbour does the shopping for you, this will cut the price again.

some prices in 2010 (shopping by native on local street markets in Kalamu):
50 kg rice 45 800 Fc (ca. 46$)
oranges at Kalamu (KN) 250 Fc/piece
oranges at Embo (KN) 200 Fc/piece
5 ltr vegetal oil 7500 Fc
5 ltr palm oil  5000 Fc
5 kg sucre 5500 Fc
3 smoked fishs 5500 Fc
225 g Margarine Blue Band 650 Fc
1 tomato 200 Fc
6 patatoes 1500 Fc
9 plantains 1000 Fc
1 ananas 1300 Fc
6 maniok roots 500 Fc
1 cube Maggi 100 Fc

Hi Everyone... can someone plz tell me about vinmart in Lubumbashi.. Im getting offer as CA, Mgr Finance of 2000 net savings.. is it feasible to go there?

i am planing to start a business in DR Congo, kinshasa... i was wondering how much will renting an office cost me? Living costs as well, ranging from transportation, food, basics needs and etc
Basic bills as well, housing and all the bills that it comes with,  phone bills, .... how much will it cost to import and exports goods,

any good advice would be nice,
please email if you think u can help

my email is [email protected]
thank you

Hello Dear...I would like to know about the Democratic republic of congo and also about Nigeria as i am going there after 3 months as i have got job for the Airtel Project in African Countries...Can u please tell me what is the cost of living over there....Main about the Foods....

Hello ashishkhaitan, Ikonic300 and rajivb4u.

I think that the above message on the thread might give you a hint and also provide answers to your questions.

Thanks

Karen :)

Hi,
Please give me details of what you want to know about congo and the place you need to make your new business. For office cost, prepare 300-700 usd monthly for eastern side city apart from Lubumbashi.
I am now working in south sudan but congo is my home country. Feel free to contact me on
Jmaseka(at)hotmail dot com. Thanks.

Hi jmaseka,

I suggest you to share your experiences and advices by posting them directly on the forum for other members to benefit.

Also please note that you posted on an old thread. For better visibility and interaction, I invite you to start a new discussion on the Democratic Republic of Congo forum.

Thank you

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Hi all

Kindly provide me the Current cost of living IN DR congo in USD for 1 single person from India.  for ''General Accountant ''.

1.Cost of apartment (with sharing) or (without sharing).

2.Food cost.

3.Internet

4.Water

5.electricity cost

6.Medical Insurance

Etc... and How much can we negotiate with the employer for atleast saving of USD 1200/- to send it to INdia. 

If i miss any points in the above list,kindly add the same and give the approximate cost ..........

Dear Friend,

I got an offer from Congo Foret an UK based agro processing company in DRC.
I am an engineer, done my MBA and have 6 years of experience in agro processing sector.
I am offered position as Factory Administrator next to Managing Director.
May I know the salaray I can demand them per month.
Let me know if there will be any additional local salary.

Regards,
Ravi