How to make friends in Turin

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Turin :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Turin??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Just give me a call... ;o)
I live in Turin. Since I travel quite often I know how important a contact could be: so, if you want, just contact me, I will be pleased to be your Cicerone!
Relax

Hello everyone,

One way to  make friends that I've found extremely helpful is to get into  contact with the International Women's Club of Torino. (moderated: no ads please)

Ciao

My advice is to contact anyone through blogs (me!!) and facebook who live in Torino or Piemonte.  It's probably the easiest way to get to know people.  As far as IWCT (International Women's Club of Torino), Unless you're a woman with nothing to do and money to spend then it's not useful.  I was a part of the group and they have a lot of activities, but I don't have money to spend EVERY SINGLE TIME they meet.

or start organizing Expat.com meet-ups! :)

Circolo dei Lettori in Via Bogino (free conferences or concerts, a bar)- 'Jazz Club' concerts (cheap)- or subscribe to a good gym. Cafés near university, if you're young. If you are much older, you'll probably find that the Torinese are rather reserved people.

scotinturin wrote:

:rolleyes: I'm finding it tough in Torino, people are so closed here. I've never had a problem socializing before, HELP!

You will also find that many are also sly,false and Selfish here, people which go around acting as if they are god knows who... etc etc, trust those which you know and yourself first.

I'm honest enough to say many and not all people here in Turin act like this, i'm sure that if you do make friends, and I seriously mean people which you can depend on, then you will have trustworthy friends :) I have a few friends here which I can depend on and believe all the rest are just people which I know but would only trust them as far as I could throw them :P

If i were to compare Turin to Milan, i'd have to admit that in the case of asking directions, their alot nicer here, or shall we say 90% explain in a fairly clear way (In Italian, god forbid if you expect them to give you directions in English ROFL)in how to get from A-Z . ;)

Then again this is the way I see life in general, we all know alot of people but how many would you consider "friends"? Think about this :/

Hi!!I'm an Italian student from the University of Gastronomic Sciences, Italy. Cooking italian food is my passion and I organize cooking classes in English, dinners and catering. Write me if you are interested and I will be more than happy to give you more informations about it :)

Hi guys!
I am getting ready to move over to Turin/Torino in a few weeks as my husband is working there now. I work in radio on the air here in Michigan (near Chicago) and have two grown kids and would love to meet some people there! Please email me and say hi so we can hang out.
[email protected]
Excited to meet any expats or natives in Turin!
Carole

Hello!
Unfortunately many people in Turin are not used to speak a different language in their daily life so they are pretty lazy to start a relationship in English. But I think this can still be possible!

A place I like a lot is the imbarchino at valentino park. It is the one down the little hill close to the entrance in corso vittorio. At imbarchino in the afternoons you might find people working and reading and at night haveing some beers. I think the place is nice, just right close to the river and I have often noticed foreigners there.

I also think that the best way to make new friends is to subscribe a course, drawing, paintng, dancing or whatever you like.

I will add more if I will have more ideas. Sorry it is not much!
Have a good sunday
Rita

These are some very old posts. I wonder who is still living in Turin from the US!

Hi Carole
i replied to you a  minute ago. I am from the UK but I believe you should find a few of your co-patriots on couchsuring.org website in Turin groups.
good luck!
kindest regards
janie