The other side of the Malian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Mali, how would you describe the two sides of your Malian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

I`ve been in Mali now since June with a couple of months out into Liberia.

Bamako is great - plenty to see, friendly people and traffic that actually stops and lets you walk across the road. Restaurants are good and plentiful with lots of options.

I`ve been into the Northern areas of Tessalit, Kidal and Gao but I haven`t made it to Tombuctou yet, that will come.

So far, its all been work and no time to play the tourist. I know that the tourism industry here is suffering now, but that will change, but as the security situation improves, then so will access to the other areas, but in the meantime we`ll stay local.

My work unfortunately doesn`t send me to the great tourist areas, and some places are not pleasant. Mali however, is really good and I wouldn`t miss it for the world.

To anyone thinking of coming to the west of Africa - give it a try... we don`t have a lot of sea (or none), but we`ve got the biggest beach in the world :-)

I don`t know how long I`ll be here, but thank you anyway.