Armed robberies in Zawia

Have you been to your bank in Zawia and found it closed this morning? There has been one (could be more) armed robbery in a bank in Zawia this morning and this explains why other banks were shut too. Our bank might not reopen for some time as the staff has been totally shocked by the violence of the event.

I also know that some guns shots have been fired on campus in Zawia, and not for the first time...

Is there anything happening or is it just a "normal day at the office" in Libya?

You mentioned before that it is common to see people with weapons. Is it legal to carry them everywhere, even on campus? Or do people conceal them & not obey the law.

Do you know of a place that has a list of Libyan laws, not just on guns but just for my knowledge?

I don't know the law i just know the facts, weapons are everywhere, semi concealed as in you don't see them in their hands but you know they have them.
I don't know about the legal system in libya i have never looked into that and i guess internet, especially in English would be useless

Well I thought there may be talk about the laws and safety at the universities  especially after there has been gunfire at one.
I would think if it was against the law, they would instruct the professors to report anyone they see with a weapon.
or I thought you may learn the laws by seeing what occurs when someone does fire a gun, like for example, if the person is charged with carrying a weapon, or if they are just charged with firing it or endangering others.

Dua Dua, there are no laws in Libya at the moment, the government is only transitional, the police and the army have no real authority, the country doesn't even have a constitution at the moment so all those concepts you mention do not apply in Libya.

You must understand that Libya is a beautiful country, yes with really warm people, yes BUT it is a country in COMPLETE CHAOS. As for reporting problems... to who? the university is under the control of the students, backed up by their family clans, there is no police office you can go to, and even if there was, what would you say? someone fired a gun??? they all do it, all the time, everywhere... this is normal, acceptable behaviour in this country.

I'm sorry to sound so harsh but this is the reality of a country that is only just starting to rebuild itself. Concepts and principles that are taken for granted in the West are totally alien here. This is the main culture shock for expats here, the total lack of reference point because here nothings "works" as we know it.

wow, that is a bit hard for me to comprehend.
I guess I thought the police that were in place before would have kept their jobs and the transitional government would support them, or enforce the laws that were in place before or just change the ones they don't accept until a permanent government is in place.
Well that shed's light on the clan wars or whatever.
So if someone is shot or killed....the family just takes them to the hospital?
Even if everyone sees who does it, nothing will be done unless the victim's family wants to become murderers?

I wonder what happens if I were to get killed there? or someone that doesn't have any contacts there.
Do they just leave the body lay in the street?
I find this all very interesting to be honest but .. you are right, it is so foreign to me.
it's like being a child and seeing the lights go out, then you begin to realize what it means when the electric is out....no hot water for bathing, no way to cook food, no way to flush the toilet or get water if you use a well, etc, etc.
So my mind is trying to comprehend the other areas this would affect and try to understand how this works.

If the transitional government can't enforce laws or appropriately punish guilty people, how can it give scholarships and money to students?
That money comes from the government, right?
surely if it can manage that money it can pay to have some protection, or some judges to hear cases for people that are just....lost and hurting others.

Comments anyone?

Money is easy in Libya there's plenty of it it's everything else that is difficult...

:) They can pay me to be the police when I get there. I will channel my anger into constructive punishment of the bad guys and they can then hear me talk all night about God and finding their way back to the right path :D heehee

sounds like you love challenges  haha