Americans living in Slovenia

Hey guys, I would love to meet Americans that live in Slovenia. I've lived here most of my life, except for the 2 years I spent in Florida. I'm trying to keep my English language level up. Plus I think Americans are way cool :-). So please post a reply on here if you're interested in hanging out with a Slovenian girl:-).

Hi Nadia,

the Americans in Slovenia page can help ;)

Just a thought....

Rather than asking for Americans to teach you English, why don't you ask for English people to teach you their own language?

I know that American language and English sound the same to you, but Slovene and Croatian sound the same to an English person.

Dear June, you are right but I guess she wanted to keep in touch with Americans because she comes from Florida and not so much to improve her English. But I agree with you, I work for international organisation and we do use only GB English which is indeed different, especially business English. On the other hand, international schools here use more American English or a mix of both so.... it always depends on your motives, I guess.
But Slovenian and Croatian is not so good to compare, I would say Serbian and Croatian would be better example in this case. In that I am sure since I do speak both myself.-)and I would not go to Serbian person to teach me Croatian either.

I have to agree with VesnaV, u cant compare slovenian with croatian...!  I speak croatian but am having a very difficult time trying to pick up slovenian.  In fact we are considering moving to Slovenia because schooling is better for our kids, but I am worried that the  language will be impossible for me to pick up.  I would love to hear stories of expatriates that have successfully picked up the SLovene language and are conversant beyond, hello how are you and how long it took them to get there....!  My kids are young and they tell me that they will pick it up quickly, but I am not so sure.  When we r visiting i.e. camping or skiing in SLovenia, my kids at first try to communicate in Croatian with locals but eventually have much better success in english.  I am skeptical that they will pick it up so quickly, and even more skeptical if I will ever be abel to pick it up.  It seems like such a difficult language! :)

Rada bi vam povedala zgodbo...
Zeljela bi vam ispricati pricu...

Just for those that don't understand what we mean: first sentence above is Slovenian and second Croatian.... how similar are they??

The sentence is " I want to tell you a story..."
Judge yourself....

June222 wrote:

Just a thought....

Rather than asking for Americans to teach you English, why don't you ask for English people to teach you their own language?

Probably because y'all have that thick British accent...   :D

In all seriousness this is a tough language...there seem to be so few similarities between it and English.  I know a bit of German, but that doesn't seem to help either.

"Rada bi vam povedala zgodbo..."

:blink: