A handy bit of info for newcomers about bins

Hi all,

I'm sure the legacy Expats are aware of this in Malta, however after my surprise this morning I thought it might be handy to post up for anyone coming or just settling into Malta life.

When you're putting your bins out for the bin men to pick up, please remember that there are certain days when it is only a pick up for recycling. Now my landlord has never mentioned this and there are no signs or notices (this might be different due to your location) advising that on a Tuesday and Friday it is only recycling rubbish that is picked up (based on Msida, check with your local council for your area). Unfortunately I had no knowledge of this and was slapped with a fine of €58 from a non-uniform warden. Just a heads up!

I have challenged the fine but we will see what happens with that!

a non uniform warden - never heard of them?

Neither had I until she ticketed me for €58 as soon as I left my flat this morning. Do you have the same recycle days where you are?

Councils inform residents by posting flyers in post box, well at least ours did and ours recently changed.
Different days for different areas.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

a non uniform warden - never heard of them?

Stealth wardens.  :)
Have to be 'covert' as imagine the word would swiftly spread if it was known they were about.
Wonder if they target local residents as much as us 'aliens'?

Hezza wrote:

Neither had I until she ticketed me for €58 as soon as I left my flat this morning. Do you have the same recycle days where you are?

Did you ask for some form of identification?

Terry

Only the " foreigners" around us put out bags on the correct days, the Maltese put any old bag out any time.
The bin men just leave it if its not the correct day!

Cannot believe they have undercover wardens!

tearnet wrote:

Only the " foreigners" around us put out bags on the correct days, the Maltese put any old bag out any time.
The bin men just leave it if its not the correct day!

Cannot believe they have undercover wardens!

yep id agree with that - along with all manner of other garbage...

am afraid i would have been obliged to ask for ID and demand to know why there not uniformed dispute the charges.

i am also aware of uniformed wardens actually hiding and obscuring themselves from view to catch motorists not wearing seat belts and making illegal right turns..... i agree these things shouldnt happen but hiding to do it!!!!!

stealth revenue makers - no doubt with daily targets to meet and yes i do wonder if local hosts are subjected to the same fining as us (A)liens. answers on a  postcard.

I actually question how much rubbish is actually recycled.
We have one recycling day here but notice others leave their cardboard etc out on other days and it's collected along with the non recyclables also vice versa. Also agree that the impression is that we 'aliens' are the only one's that follow the 'rules'.

We get rubbish collected every day here, 7 days a week! And recycling on Tuesdays & Fridays... I agree about the 'locals' not adhering to the rules & I thin k we are the only ones in our road who ever bother to recycle lol

There's a "Waste Collection Schedule" for all of Malta/Gozo with the days and times for collection of the different kinds. Go to wasteservmalta.com and choose "Home Collection" from the menu on the left to download/view it.

Well regarding the comments about "Aliens" how do you suppose the bin men can decide if it's aliens or local peoples rubbish. What I do is apart from the fact that I made it my business to find out my collection days I allways look at the colour of the bags already out to confirm that I have it right. Regardless of other people's good or bad habits I just do the right thing and sleep well at night in the knowledge that nobody can blame me.

FlamingGalah! wrote:

We get rubbish collected every day here, 7 days a week!

even Sundays ?

Was waiting for a bus in Zebbug this afternoon when a missile came flying out one of the top flats and hit the pavement with a bang. Turned out to be a  thin plastic shopping bag filled with empty tin cans and other trash - couldn't say whether it was recyclable  :D  but it will  lie there until the next refuse pickup! The person in the flat don't have to worry about it now -out of sight out of mind, what a mindset  :mad:

We have a person like that but she chucks food out without a bag.....for the cats....horrible habit...

Yuck ......

johnnymalta wrote:

We have a person like that but she chucks food out without a bag.....for the cats....horrible habit...

and unless she tidies up after, illegal

A follow-up to my post about Zebbug - I've been told by a reliable Maltese source that Mosta, Zebbug and a couple of other towns have their refuse collected in the late afternoons - including Saturdays. So there I was, wrongly accusing someone of littering, when their only crime was that they hurled  the garbage over the balcony instead of going downstairs and placing it on the pavement for the refuse folk to collect  :joking:

georgeingozo wrote:
FlamingGalah! wrote:

We get rubbish collected every day here, 7 days a week!

even Sundays ?

Yes on Sundays too.

To another point I found out from the waste services website when I first moved here that the rubbish is collected at 8:30am (quite how you are meant to put it out half an hour beforehand if you leave for work at 6, but that's another story lol) but the other day I saw some bin bags with white stickers on them from the council stating that rubbish is collected at 7:30am! I just put all rubbish & recycling out the night before (as everyone does) & hope for the best!  :huh:

Be careful FlamingGalah, we were told by our land-lady and neighbours that we will be fined for putting them out at night, it's got to do with stray animals etc breaking into the bags for food. But it sounds like the people in your area all do it despite the potential of being fined, whereas in ours there is not a bag in sight until early morning.

I think its only expats that would have forum topic about when to put out the bins!

The Maltese just put the bags out when they want and probably know that only expats are likely to be fined!

life's to short.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

I think its only expats that would have forum topic about when to put out the bins!

The Maltese just put the bags out when they want and probably know that only expats are likely to be fined!

life's to short.

Terry

That's why we are on an expat forum to learn about a country's quirks  :happy:  Agree about life's too short but if you are retired then the money spent on fines could be better used somewhere else.

I fail to see how any of the fines for putting your bin out at the wrong time can be enforceable.

It would be like fining you for being at the bus stop at the wrong time!

In Mellieha its run by the local council (but outsourced) and they merely tell you the day of collection not a specific time.

Sometimes on a holiday there is a collection and some times there is not.

Do the bin men get fined for not arriving on the correct day? 

Its all very "Maltese"

Terry

Jus found this, not sure when it was issued.

http://www.villageofmalta.net/wastemanagement0001.pdf

Terry

The forum is a great place for people to share views etc but those who don't think it is or who find topics boring then don't bother.

If all the bags are black how would the council know who put It out in order to,issue fines, expat or otherwise. I know loads of expats who put them out when they feel like it. It's not the nationality that's the problem, more ignorance.

Not all the bags should be black, use the grey ones for recycling. Also, remember, there is no Council Tax to fund the collections.

The cats by my place must be colour blind because they don't know or care what colour the bags are, Just put your bags out on the correct day. And that's a problem for those who go out early, take it with you and put it in the bins along the road etc. there is plenty of them.

johnnymalta wrote:

The forum is a great place for people to share views etc but those who don't think it is or who find topics boring then don't bother.

That's right up there with the "if you don't like living here then f*** off argument" johnny. Some here may not find that kind of 'advice' helpful.

Cheers

Mike (glass half full)

Ha ha too right Mike. Great place to live In spite of all the moaning. Safer, warmer, etc. one or two up their own arse try their best to put it down. Get your self over permanently.
Cheers

I live in a small street & everyone puts their bin bags out at night & as I live on the ground floor of a small block all the bin bags are right outside my front gate, so I don't know how they would be able to tell who put the bags out & at what time (unless someone has thrown out something with their address on & the council warden opens the bag to find out!). I appreciate the problem with cats, but unless people use dustbins (which I doubt the council would empty) I can't see any way round it as it simply isn't convenient or even possible for many to put out their rubbish 'half an hour' before collection... Especially when that time changes almost daily & some days it isn't collected at all lol  :lol:

I use a big dustbin, and had no problem with it being emptied each time

georgeingozo wrote:

I use a big dustbin, and had no problem with it being emptied each time

There I was having a little chuckle over Terry's - "Do the bin men get fined for not arriving on the correct day?" quip when in you come with your sensible and well thought out response.

Now stop it right there.......this isn't what the forum is all about.
http://isanam.com/scraps/smiley-face-gif/smiley-4.gif

http://dringhousesandwoodthorpeward.mycouncillor.org.uk/files/2012/02/40440195_dustybin2032.jpg

Let's Vote For DustBins  :one

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing025.gif

.........ahh! the good old days when the rubbish used to take itself out.

Ha ha love it, after all it's only a bit of fun. People take things too seriously sometimes.