Bringing a car to Malta

With the help of this forum, and reading all the documents from Transport Malta I have just brought my car to Malta successfully and did not have to pay tax. It's important you apply for he tax exemption as soon as you arrive. You will need to provide evidence that you have owned the car for at least two years prior to arrival in Malta (including copies of car insurance certificates for 2-3 years), that you have been resident outside Malta for at least 1 year (maybe 2 - please check) - this needs copies of utility bills and evidence that you owned or rented a house in the UK. You also need to prove that you are moving to Malta for at least a year (evidence of house purchase or a rent agreement for at least 12 months) - a job contract would also help. I took photocopies and originals to the Transport Malta office near Valletta when I arrived, a few days before my car arrived. After about 4 weeks they issued me with a temporary permit for the car, valid for about 3 months while they process my application. I've just been asked for a copy of the ferry arrival docket for the car which I have now supplied. It looks like my application will be accepted and I've been old my UK Mot will be valid (maybe because it's still valid for so long - about 10 months - so I won't need to get a local equivalent (VRT). When I next hear from them, if my application is successful, I need to take two forms (available at transport Malta) and my mot certificate and insurance to the transport Malta office to swap my number plates for Maltese plates. In the meantime I had no problem getting my car insured for a year with British plates using a company called SMS . The transport Malta officials have so far stopped us on the road twice to check our documents and they are clamping down on untaxed foreign cars. The tax is extortionate so I would strongly recommend you get all your documents ready and apply on arrival or make sure it's worth you bringing your car if you have to pay the tax.

Should it really be this difficult? Great post!!

Are you sure that your MOT is valid?
Ours was not and even the VRT had to be redone because it took them so long to process the application that the VRT  was older than 6 months!

Also remember that you will have to pay the import duty if you want to sell / exchange or scrap the vehicle.

Terry

Having re read your post I realise that you have not started the registration process just the exemption part.

For the registration you will need a current VRT and don't forget you will need a jvec odometer verification before registering your vehicle....

.http://www.jevic.com/import-and-export/country-regulations/malta/

Terry

Very interesting posts, plenty of information, is it the same procedure if you wish to bring a motorcycle to Malta.

eddiepie wrote:

Very interesting posts, plenty of information, is it the same procedure if you wish to bring a motorcycle to Malta.

basically its the same system depending on age etc, this is the link for working out the registration tax....

http://www.valuation.vehicleregistratio … cycle.aspx

Not sure about mileage verification for a motorcycle.

Terry

from memory motorbikes no longer have registration tax (or if under 600cc ??)  - something like that

I know things might have changed but the TM website still gives the registration fee, so not sure what is currently happening.

Terry

Hi all. Went on registration site filled out form end result €00.00 for 125cc motorcycle' but not
100℅ sure for 09 plate

eddiepie wrote:

Hi all. Went on registration site filled out form end result €00.00 for 125cc motorcycle' but not
100℅ sure for 09 plate

Great, it looks like there is no fee to pay but there will be admin costs.

Terry

Yes, not to expensive.

Thanks Terry - this forum has saved me bundles of time and $$$$ :-)

I think I have odometer readings on my last MOT - is it not part of the VRT?

The guy at transport Malta info desk definitely said my UK mot would be valid as it still had 11 months on it but I guess I should be prepared for having to get a vrt.

Any advice on where to go for a vrt and what I should expect to pay. Do you need to book or can you just turn up?

Also - where can I get the jvec odometer verification you talk of if the one with my uk mot is not good enough? How long does it take and how much ?

BFish wrote:

Also - where can I get the jvec odometer verification you talk of if the one with my uk mot is not good enough? How long does it take and how much ?

JVEC information here.........
http://www.jevic.com/services/vehicle-m … ter-malta/

VRT stations are all over the island ,so it will depend where you plan to live.
Booking not always necessary but it will depend on the area. If your car has passed a recent a UK MOT then it will fly through  a Maltese VRT and cost is around 26€.

Terry

I'm already here Terry, living in Sweiqi. I'm sure I'll find one nearby, probably in San Gwan ... Thanks !

BFish wrote:

I'm already here Terry, living in Sweiqi. I'm sure I'll find one nearby, probably in San Gwan ... Thanks !

Sorry, your profile says you live in Brighton.

Terry

Will update now :-)

At last some real information about this.  Too late for me probably.  I arrived with my car on 4th Decmber 2013 and rented a fantastic apartment.  The lease was for minimum 12 months so I went for it, even though I was not sure if I would reside here or just stay as a tourist.  Late in January, I decided to make this place my permanent address so I went to the Transport for Malta office and they dropped the bomb on me that I had passed the 30 day limit and I would have to pay an import tax of 60%!

This does not make any sense.  Does it mean that anyone driving to Malta for holidays has to import their car just to cover the odd chance that they will fall in love with the island and want to stay?  This is certainly not in line with EU regulations.

how about if you take your car out of Malta to Sicily, and come back, so restarting the 30 day clock ?

have you applied for your eresidence card ?

rtintle wrote:

At last some real information about this.  Too late for me probably.  I arrived with my car on 4th Decmber 2013 and rented a fantastic apartment.  The lease was for minimum 12 months so I went for it, even though I was not sure if I would reside here or just stay as a tourist.  Late in January, I decided to make this place my permanent address so I went to the Transport for Malta office and they dropped the bomb on me that I had passed the 30 day limit and I would have to pay an import tax of 60%!

This does not make any sense.  Does it mean that anyone driving to Malta for holidays has to import their car just to cover the odd chance that they will fall in love with the island and want to stay?  This is certainly not in line with EU regulations.

Were you trying to claim exemption from the import tax?
Also if you were working then you cannot be a tourist, so should have started the importing process when you arrived.

georgeingozo wrote:

how about if you take your car out of Malta to Sicily, and come back, so restarting the 30 day clock ?

If he is a tourist he doesn't need to do that !
If he started his residency then he should have started the registration process, but I guess its worth  a try.

He will however still have to pay the import tax.

The German saying is ' Unwissenheit schützt nicht vor Strafe' which translates as ' Claiming to not know doesn't save you from punishment'.

The information about importing cars to Malta is everywhere on the internet and on this website.

If you are not working here and have not applied for residency and registered as working just leave ............. and come back later!

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

The German saying is ' Unwissenheit schützt nicht vor Strafe' which translates as ' Claiming to not know doesn't save you from punishment'.

similar expression in English "Ignorance is no defence"

Thanks all for the comments.  I am not working and I have not applied for the e card yet.  I would go to Sicily and re-import, but that could be seen as flaunting the spirit of the law.

'Unwissenheit schützt nicht vor Strafe'   

I am still a tourist, and am now deciding to take up residence.  I will just import and register the car and fight for my rights for duty free status on personal goods.

"The information about importing cars to Malta is everywhere on the internet and on this website." 

Not so true.  The only concrete rule I read is that once you have your e card, you have to import and register your car right away.  If you do not have an e card, then why would you even have a right to import your car.

rtintle wrote:

The only concrete rule I read is that once you have your e card, you have to import and register your car right away.  If you do not have an e card, then why would you even have a right to import your car.

not quite - its not once you get your card, but once you are resident. By apply for an e card you are declaring you consider yourself resident.

rtintle wrote:

Thanks all for the comments.  I am not working and I have not applied for the e card yet.  I would go to Sicily and re-import, but that could be seen as flaunting the spirit of the law.

'Unwissenheit schützt nicht vor Strafe'   

I am still a tourist, and am now deciding to take up residence.  I will just import and register the car and fight for my rights for duty free status on personal goods.

"The information about importing cars to Malta is everywhere on the internet and on this website." 

Not so true.  The only concrete rule I read is that once you have your e card, you have to import and register your car right away.  If you do not have an e card, then why would you even have a right to import your car.

If you are a tourist then taking your car to Sicily on a day trip and starting the registration process based on the vehicles arrival back in Malta is not a problem.
However you will have to prove that both you and the vehicle have been outside of Malta for at least two years prior to your application for exemption, that may be a problem for you.

Terry