Do and don't in Dominica

Are you living in Dominica? We need you to share your experience of the local customs :)

Is it difficult to adjust to the local customs in Dominica?

Could you please share with us a list of the do's and don't's in Dominica?

Thanks!

Hi! I would like to have some informations on the live in Dominica. How cant I find a job because I would like to stay 6 months or more. Can I use internet to find some? Which job centers can I contact?
Thanks for all.

Hello Animong... I am not sure this forum is of any use for us. Like you I asked for the same kind of information some.... days ago. And until now no news... It seems we are only two of us hoping to get some information from this forum... Sorry but I cannot help you but I am looking fro the same type of information. May be we could share our information if we have some...

Bonjour,

Je recommande le site officiel de Invest Dominica Authority: www.InvestDominica.dm

il est clair et concis
on vous répond sous 8 jours environ
et l'on vous envoi tous documents sollicités sur les Lois et démarches administratives personnelles, salariales et professionnelles, acquisition, création ect... (en anglais)

Bien à vous,

Jacqueline Rose
nouveau membre actif

Bonjour,

On peut tout aussi télécharger les documents nécessaires sur Invest Dominica Authority à partir du moment où vous êtes sûr qu'ils correspondent à votre profil, à votre requête.
Cordialement,

J.Rose

Hi

To live/work in Dominica one must be creative, resourceful and have money to support yourself for a few months.

I've just returned from a 13 day fact finding trip. No lazing on a beach for me! Why? Because, like both of you, I plan to return in Oct/Nov to spend the winter. Before I went, I did some research and found myself a 3 bed house to rent up in Portsmouth (NW). The lovely owner (overseas) is trying to sell it but agreed to rent it to me. It's still for sale and I'm sure she'd rent it again to me. Ok it's a bit basic but great until I find a better place which I intend to.

Jobs are scarce and if there are any, are offered to locals. Most of the expats I met were all working for themselves. Indeed an interesting lot. To get around the island is no real problem. The only negative thing I found there was that it was quite expensive (cars/food/rent). I had expected it to be a lot cheaper!  Sorry I can't be much more help but it really is a magical, unspoilt place and I can't wait until I return. If you are heading there in Oct/Nov and need a room to rent, maybe I can help out. If so, let me know. email (post a response and I'll reply)  Keep well.

Going to any country but your own and trying to get a job is not looked upon kindly by the locals; and rightly so.  You're taking jobs away from them; not to mention their survival.  In Europe this isn't as much problem; but in the Caribbean, Americas and Oceania it certainly is. 

Piers has the right idea - do a short scouting trip and see what you can find.  Whether you can get a job depends on your skills.  If you're a highly skilled professional - nurse etc. you should find work.  Not computer geeks.  Dominica seems to have plenty of those.  And not if you're looking for work in ecotourism companies.

That's what I did.  My case is different, however, as I'll be retiring there - bringing money into the country.  Not much - I've got just basic Social Insecurity, but enough to live on the local economy in a reasonable manner. Not come in like some typical rich Ugly American tourista and act like I own the joint!

My wife and I own a home above Castle Comfort just south of Roseau. This observation is a small thing, and once we got used to it, sort of funny. Personal space norms are very different in Dominica, especially in market checkout lines. The first dozen times or so, we get our goodies, and go, what we thought was, stand in line to check out. Well, no, so far as Dominicans were concerned, we were not in line. For us, being in line means, in the States, standing probably two feet, or more, behind the person in front. Leave that much personal space in Dominica and someone will just walk right up in front of you. At first we were indignant, got our feathers ruffled, a number of "excuse me's" resulting in bewildered looks from the "line cutter." Lesson learned: You stand close behind the person in front of you.

Also, we've had to learn to shop in European mode. Want to put together a dinner with friends? It will take at least five different shops to get what you want, if it's available. Just learn to make the shift. It's worth it.

FYI, I have some Dominica images on Youtube at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQ5Ya8DHM4
And our place is for rent when we're not there.

Also, we spent five years or more looking for our place. Friends directed us to Dominica, and we simply have fallen in love with this beautiful, green, lush island. Until I retire, we get to spend about six weeks there a year. Looking forward to cutting the tether!

Cheers

Dan

Thanks for the informations!

bonjour, je suis étudiante française et j'aimerais avoir des informations pour un stage à la Dominique au niveau du tourisme.

Hi, I 'm a french student and i would like to have some informations to a training in dominica.  How i can find a training in tourism

Bonjour Mayou, tu peux déjà essayer de contacter le ministère du tourisme de la Dominique : http://www.tourismdominica.dm/

Hi Dan,
You are living my dream and I am retired! I live in Denver which I love and I'm planning my second trip to Dominica (the first didn't count, it was aboard a boat), in anticipation of moving there. Glad to hear you spent so much time looking for your house because I am of the same mindset, plus I might sell my American houses.

I'm most interested in what made you choose Dominica and some of the things that still give you cause to stop and think, "will this be the right move?"  Aside from the personal distance thing which I have heard before, would you be willing to share some of your impressions and feelings?

Having visited extensively in Central America and some of the Caribbean Islands I'm most inclined to put Dominica at the top of the list. I'm beginning to get serious about the relocating and would very much appreciate the experiences of the expats and expat-wann-be's.
Thanks so much for blogging. I look forward to hearing from you. My private email is [email protected]
if that's more convenient.
Marty

Marty

Why we chose Dominica? First, we just fell in love with the place, we love the green, the mountains, the people. As soon as we got off the plane, we knew this was something special. Fly into Antigua, and you see a large, low lying barren place. Fly into Dominica, and you come in between verdant mountains. On so many islands you can't drink the water. We run the tap for a minute to clear the pipes, and use it. Dominica does not have mega-resorts (although the Kingdom of Morocco is building a resort in Portsmouth -- go figure). We do some work in St Kitts, and I'll admit we love hanging at the Marriott for a week, but it is just so not right that I also want to get away after a while. Such outside influences stress and pull local culture out of shape. Dominica has poor folks, but does not have that degree of massive disparity that creates poverty, if you can see my distinction. Dominica has the potential to be self-sustaining. I worry, as do many others, that they will get sucked into the larger geo-political system. Japan builds something, but then wants a vote for whaling for example. China does the same. So does the US. Interesting how a country of 70,000+ people still has  Dominica has many of the benefits of places like Costa Rica, but no scorpions or other bad critters. Mosquitoes, but they're everywhere.

I love the island. This is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. My wife dives, we both snorkel. I've learned to love Roseau, a crazy, noisy, crowded little town, but with its own charms too. We have developed friendships with a wide range of people, from local folks to other expats. And in my admittedly broad range o\to testing experience, the best rum punch on the planet is Cecil's brew at the Evergreen Hotel, just down the hill from our place. We bought a two story house, about 3,000 sq ft., and converted the downstairs into an apartment and have a lovely young family living there. They care for our property (a third to half an acre) of lush hillside while we're away. We rent out the upper level for vacationers, three bedrooms, two baths. That has worked out well.

I made a video a while back of our place and the island. We've done a lot of remodeling since then, so it now looks different, but the video still gives a sense of what we achieved, and what the island is like.

youtube.com/watch?v=xEQ5Ya8DHM4

[Moderated: no free ad ont he forum + please post in the housing section pls]

With the collapse of the economy, we've sharpened our pencils and come to realize that with all of the various things we do, and want to do, we need to let this go. We want to spend a lot more time sailing than we anticipated when we bought our home. So, we put our place on the market, a hard but okay decision. We listed with Paul Blanchard at Blue Sky Realty. We bought it through him, and consider him a good honest person. The listing has newer photos.

blueskyrealtors.com/listing-fortune-%96-beautiful-5-bedroom-sea-view-property-on-17%2C650-sq.

I wish you the best for finding your place. I'm always glad to chat about Dominica, will always love the place and hope to continue to go back there.

Kind Regards

Dan Jordan