The other side of the Latvian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Latvia, how would you describe the two sides of your Latvian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

The two sides? Hum... having to deal with the strong conservatism ideals that still lingers around plus the "grumpyness". Although it is understandable where all of that comes from, still takes a while to get used to and not be affected by it.

Yeah I agree with Gus' - there are a larger proportion of people in Latvia who seem disgruntled. Understandable, considering what the country has been through, and often easy to forget that it will take more than just another foreigner saying "cheer up!" to make a difference. I do think that's changing though - newer generations are far more forward thinking/looking, and there's definitely an air of optimism throughout the city, but it will take time for that to filter through all generations.

The language barrier can be tough sometimes too - English is spoken in places, but not everywhere, and without at least a little Latvian, it could be a struggle to get by if you're not in the centre of town the whole time.

Two sides, that would be a under statement... there are so many sides it makes trying to fit in brilliantly challenging.

There is the "it could be worse" shrug of shoulders and getting down to the hard work since 2006, then there is the legacy of the occupation that still lingers and overshadows, coupled with a dogged insistence of making people feel welcome (even if it is with strange customs) but most of all, it is the sheer tenacity of people to be Latvian.

My biggest difficulty is trying to learn Latvian, nearly everywhere I go I mangle a few words and suddenly everyone switches to English, infuriating as I am the guest in the country and so should be the one trying to use the language.

Coming from the UK, I find peace and tranquility even in the centre of Riga everywhere, and find the UK noisy and crowded and slightly overwhelming now. Even arriving at Riga airport, you feel relaxed rather than the stress of a UK airport and border.