How can I get a visa to libya if I'm American? where to live?

Hi,
Does anyone know of a way I can get a visa to Libya? I am American.
I have heard that tourist visas are not allowed.
I would be happy to work there, preferably part time, but I don't speak Arabic.
Does anyone know of any companies that would be so kind as to hire me for simple work that doesn't require knowing Arabic?
I don't know of any other visa besides the business visa?

Also, I have heard that renting is not an option in Libya. So what do people do that wish to stay for an extended time, such as a month to a couple years?

I certainly wouldn't want to buy a home there (nor could I afford it) until I decided whether I liked it or not.

thanks for all your help.

Hi Dua Dua

First of all rejoice you can absolutely find work in Libya if you don't speak Arabic, many compainies hire expats so English is understood in many places. As for getting a job it depends on your qualifications and experience and your domain of expertise. What can you do? If you have a Master or PHd you can easily get a job as an English teacher in University. Experience is not always necessary as long as you have the degrees.

Regarding the issue of rent, you may have misunderstood, renting is not impossible but the market is difficult, it can take some time to find the perfect place. However it is pretty easy to find flats for rent it is more difficult for family houses. Some companies also offer accommodation to their employees but this is only suitable for single men, i'm not sure they cater for whole families. In university they give you an allowance every month to pay your rent.

I advice you keep looking, Libya is a great place to live and i'm sure you're gonna like it here. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions. Hope to see you soon in Libya.

Hello again,
I actually don't have a degree at all.
I was hoping for some job that anyone can do like office work, or a nanny, or something like that.
Do you know anyone that would be willing to hire me and can sponsor me for a visa?
I appreciate it if you give them my contact info, or send me theirs.
I would even be willing to volunteer for a limited number of hours especially if I got free housing in return.
It would just be me... no children or family.
Although I may want to bring my pets if I stay a long time. :)

Regarding tourist visas, they are available now. You would need to apply before you come but you would get the visa placed into your passport at the airport. I think they are valid for 28 days but you would want to verify this.

I'm affraid i don't know anyone, i only know about finding work as a teacher for the rest i've never tried. I hope someone else here will be able to give you more details. I wish you all the best.

Really? we can apply now for tourist  visa to Libya? that is great news

The Libyan Embassy in Washington DC said tourist visas are not being given out.
Also, I contacted a Tourism company in Tripoli and they also said they were not permitting tourist visas.
They said they were giving business visas but they have stopped that since it appeared the visas were not honest. For example, they were saying "engineer" when the person was not an engineer.
The Embassy in DC said they cannot say when visas will be allowed. They said they just wait for the Libyan government to tell them they are accepting them again.
The Tourism company said they had heard that there are plans to allow them again sometime this year.

Please, if you know how I can get one, or if the information I have is incorrect, please advise me on what to do.
I do not have connections and I don't speak Arabic, so any information is appreciated.
Barack Allah Feek

Libya is a closed country so you will not get a visa of any kind.
There is no way you will be able to get a visa.

You may try to get a job first after which Employer itself will issue you a visa sponsorship

I am an American too and have traveled to Libya but as you say, there has not in my experience of the past 6 years been any such thing as a tourist visa from the Libyan embassy in DC.  Libya is not a closed country though and you can get a visa if you know someone who can go to the immigration office and make the visa for you.  What happens is this:  The person or agency applies at the immigration office with copies of your passport and visa application (from the Libyan embassy site).  The immigration office then issues a visa number and that is sent to the Libyan embassy in Washington.  You then have to do battle with them to get them to acknowledge that they have the number and get them to issue your visa.  Really, it is very, very difficult even in the best of times.  Currently there is a "Do not go to Libya" warning issued by the US department of State so that will make things nearly impossible.  Since you don't have a degree, you could always apply to a university in Libya and perhaps come on a student visa.  I don't know what the university fees in Libya are but they do have international universities.

In other words is impossible to go to Libya to work and live?

No, not impossible, but unless you have someone inside of Libya to make the visa # for you, it will be next to impossible (for Americans).

I still can't get into my inbox on this site? anyone else having probs? I was able to get in it before from this location.

thank you for replying

@dua dua > please have a look to this topic concerning your inbox: [auto moderated: we have made new changes]

@Christine,
Thank you, dear.
I am already doing this. However, the whole site shuts down when I try this. Most recently, if i get a message in my email on yahoo and click that link, I can access the message from that particular person. However, then when I try to click the inbox to see the rest of my messages, it shuts down again.
Julien responded on another area in which i posted this problem and said he is looking into it. thank you for responding and helping. :)

Hi,
Report from the Libyan Herald:

Libya to start issuing tourist visas

By Tazeez Hasairi.

Tripoli, 4 January 2014:

The Media Coordinator  at the Ministry of Tourism,  Faisel Alghaloushi, confirmed to Libya Herald that last Thursday 26 December 2013, the Ministry of Tourism had met with the General Passport Director as well as the Economic Department Directors across different departments to discuss tourist visas.

The meeting led to a decision to start issuing tourist visas for foreigners, the source confirmed.

Alghaloushi, confirmed that tourist visas with a validity of 28 days can now be issued from the airport within a couple of days from their application.

He anticipated that tourist visas will start to be issued early in 2014.

Read more: http://www.libyaherald.com/2014/01/04/l … z2tzPRZIgI

thank you :). 28 days is nice!

this is great news, and if you can get it at the airport that's even better, although it's gonna be a long wait for you guys. Been there a few months ago, they have 1 tiny office and NO COMPUTER system, only old fashioned ring binders...omg the state of them with hundreds of paper filed or just tucked in and they have to go through each paper one at a time to find yours! Good luck and be patient, that's a good training for what awaits you everywhere in Libya lol

I'm sorry. I don't understand. I haven't really traveled much except with a tour group and everything was done for us.

So can we just buy a plane ticket and when we arrive go to this office for a visa stamp?

or must we apply and pay beforehand and then buy a plane ticket and arrive and get the stamp? In which case they have to find our paper?
I can't imagine that they are flooded with that many visitors and paperwork, especially if it was recently faxed to them.

What happens if you arrive at the airport and they can't find whatever paper it is they are looking for?

dua dua wrote:

I'm sorry. I don't understand. I haven't really traveled much except with a tour group and everything was done for us.

So can we just buy a plane ticket and when we arrive go to this office for a visa stamp? NO you do need to apply for the visa and have it approved before you buy your plane ticket

or must we apply and pay beforehand and then buy a plane ticket and arrive and get the stamp? In which case they have to find our paper? That's the way to do it

I can't imagine that they are flooded with that many visitors and paperwork, especially if it was recently faxed to them. then you don't know Libya. As i said they have NO COMPUTER, NOTHING to let them know about you or your case, it's in there somewhere on a paper, which one? well it takes a long time to find it. As for visitors, there are many expats in Libya who arrive on a daily basis. It might not be popular with tourist but it is very popular with workers

What happens if you arrive at the airport and they can't find whatever paper it is they are looking for? wouldn't be surprised if it happens, when i arrived in November 2013, it took them about 2 hours to find my paper, they almost gave up, until someone thought of checking another ring binder. They did find the paper in the end. If they don't i guess it's more wait. I suggest you have the number of the embassies with you ready to call, as well as the name of the person who issued the OK for your visa. No kidding, that's the way we convinced them to keep looking for our paper

Never forget that Libya is a country in total CHAOS, things as you know them in your home country don't apply here, it's a jungle out there

Lol, God help me to keep my patience.
Does the airport have air conditioning?
Lol
oh my! I am just imagining me now being so tired from a long flight, and I am prone to headaches, then being in full cover (which I am not used to), and it being 100 degrees with no air conditioning.
and my absolute pet peeve is people not knowing what they are doing in their job.
I will end up losing my head and they will stamp me as banned for life!
hehehe

and the website for the embassy emphasized that they can be of no help to you if you get into trouble in Libya.
It says they are not in LIbya now, they advise not traveling there and those who do travel there should be aware that the embassy will not be able to help them in most cases.

Thanks Embassy! :top:

dua dua wrote:

and my absolute pet peeve is people not knowing what they are doing in their job.

ohh God you're in trouble then, not sure Libya is for you as here NOBODY knows their job, i'm really not kidding, it is total CHAOS, because salaries for Libyans are low, they take 2 or 3 jobs at a time. They go in the morning, sign up then leave to go to the next job... People are always missing from work for now reason and if the person is not here then nothing gets done. I've lost count how many times that happened to us, you come, you wait, you wait some more then they tell you so and so is not here today. Come back again. When? nobody knows! Same everywhere, happened to queue for hours at the hospital to get a form, after 3 hours or more they close the door, the doctor is gone! why? where? no explanation simply go home come back another day