New members of the French Guiana forum, introduce yourself here

Hi all,

Newbie on the French Guiana forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in French Guiana if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello everyone! 

As my tag-name suggests, my name is Sarah. I'll be moving to French Guiana in just about three weeks. I feel the practical transition will run quite smoothly for me as my partner will already have housing prepared.. (I'm lucky, I know).

Now, language wise.. that may be another set of marbles altogether! I don't speak French.... yet. The language barrier will be my most difficult aspect to adjust to I think. I tend to pick up languages relatively swiftly, but French isn't the easiest of languages either!

Anyhow, I'm extremely excited about my move over! I love new experiences and learning about new cultures so I'm really just eager to get going!

P.s. I'm bringing my dog over from northern europe, via Paris, so maybe I'll be able to offer some advice once I've been through that malarkey :)

So far, I guess a big HELLO and hopefully meet you all soon! :)

We are a Swedish family looking for a place to move in South America.

We already submit a message about moving to Argentina. But as we are flexible, we are open for suggestions. E.g French Guyana.

How can we manage to get hold of a job in FG? We are academics with a lot of experience. Is there any job, title or education that will be better?

We are open for working or building units in social care, schools or tourism...

Best regards
Johan Pettersson with family

Hi family Petterson!

I assume that you also speak Swedish! ;) I'm Sarah Koivula, Finland - Hello! Welcome! I will move to Guyana in two weeks so unfortunately I can not help you so much yet. I In any case, understood as much as that French language is almost as good as necessary - can you or your wife speak French? It would be a good start in any case! :) If you happen to move to F. G. now you know In any case, another who speaks Swedish! :)

Hej familjen Petterson!

Jag antar att ni talar också Svenska! ;) Jag är Sarah Koivula, från Finland - Hej! Välkommen!  Jag kommer att flytta till Franska Guyana om två veckor så tyvärr kan jag inte hjälpa er så mycket än. Jag har I varje fall förstått så mycket som att franska språket är nästan så gott som nödvändigt - kan ni eller din fru tala franska? Det vore en bra början I varje fall! :) Om ni råkar flytta till F.G. så vet ni nu I varje fall en annan som talar Svenska! :)

Hello! Thank you so much for your reply. Glad you are on the way :) Did not think that the language is so important. Has always done just fine with English and a little Italian / Spanish. Very easy for language luckily.

But none of us speak French ...

Do not know which occupations are most viable, but probably you're right: top:?

We are open to suggestions for different jobs.

Hope that all will be well for you, and hope we get to ask some questions anym forward?

Good Luck!

Yours sincerely
Johan Pettersson with family
email: solbrev [at] hotmail.com

Hej! Tack så jättemycket för ditt svar. Kul att du är på väg  :)  Tänkte inte på att språket är så viktigt. Har alltid klarat mig med engelska och lite italienska/spanska. Har väldigt lätt för språk som tur är.

Men ingen av oss talar franska...

Vet inte vilka yrken som är mest gångbara, men förmodligen har du rätt :top: ?

Vi är öppna för förslag på olika arbeten.

Hoppas att allt blir bra för dig, och hoppas att vi får ställa några frågor längr fram?

Lycka till!

Med vänlig hälsning
Johan Pettersson med familj
epost:[email protected]

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=751320

Thanks!

Closed