Hello

Hello all
My fiancee and I moved here at the start of the year from London. We're working as English teachers but I'm on a sabbatical from my banking job and he's brushing up his Russian before hoping to get a job focussed on Russia back in the UK.
Are there any established monthly meetings etc for ex pats here? We love it and are having a great time but we'd be keen to meet up with any like minded people.....
Jess

Hello Jess,

Welcome to Expat.com and thank you for this introduction.

How do you find life in Latvia? Do you already have some favorite spots where you like to hang out with your fiancee?

Have a nice day,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

I don't know of any connected with this forum, although I believe internations tries to run something monthly. Never been though - it's not really my sort of thing.

There are a few of us here though - I know a handful of UK ex-pats and others living here now, and I've been here (from Scotland) since July last year.

Where do you work? Chances are you'll know a few ex-pats already if it's a school for teaching English!

hai hasnaa,this is preetha,im planning to study in RSU,i have 1000 qs in my mind regarding the stay n place,can you help me on this.pls contact me in [email protected]

Why not post some of your questions here and see if anybody has some answers for you?

We can all answer questions - but emailing you to find out what they are isn't the easiest way to do it.

Thanks for the reply Grafyte,im planning to study in RSU in riga,i got the admission and also paid ma fees,now they have sent a mail asking me to select my accommodation,tho i can see options in the college website still i dont have a clear pic,i literally need someone to help me on this,maybe which place is safe,cheap etc?

Have they provided location options? It would be nice to know what they have offered you - perhaps people will know of these locations. I'm not very familiar with areas if they are out of town - but if it's areas in the centre, I can let you know what I think.

Bear in mind RSU also provide some good information:

http://www.rsu.lv/eng/international-stu … nformationhttp://www.rsu.lv/eng/international-students/riga-life

i mean like they have give this link (http://www.rsu.lv/eng/international-stu … and-living) ,but im confused to select,n also i wanna share with someone,but i dont know how to proceed further to know someone who wanna share with me.

OK, I don't see the link (under review apparently) but I guess the easiest way to find people to live with is to check this forum, and also consider becoming a part of "Internations" - they have a Riga ex-pat forum too.

I'd also jump on to some of the Facebook pages for things like the Latvian Institute, or "If You Like Latvia, Latvia Likes You" and posting about it - maybe ask around.

I expect the University also has people who can help you - maybe email them and find out if there's somewhere you can email or somewhere you can post about wanting to share accommodation.

Also - there are sites like www.ss.lv that are sort of like Craigslist/Gumtree for Latvia - where you might be able to post up a "flatmate wanted" type post - and get people interested. I know plenty ex-pats who check there often for that sort of thing - you might also find other people looking for flatmates there! :)

Hai is it my Q's are lil unanswerable kind of? its that im much tensed moving to a new place......

Thanque for taking the time to consider me and replying for my questions,your response for my questions where encouraging,thats a good idea for mailing to the university,let me mail to student service manager,hope to get some kind of help from them.Nice knowing you,once again thanks a lot.Please keep in touch .

Well I don't know exactly what your question is.

If the question is "where should I live?" then - that's a very difficult question, because it depends what you're looking for. There are so many places and so many options.

If the question is "how do I share" with someone?" - then I've provided some suggestions of places to ask if anybody is interested - how would you do this at home? Facebook, forums, message boards, Gumtree/Craigslist etc - the usual places are where to look

If the questions is "what are the areas of Riga like?" then it's a difficult answer - they are all different. Places in the centre are nice, the old town is expensive, with small apartments, but it's quite touristy and unique. Places further out of town may not be so visually appealing, but offer cheap accommodation. Bear in mind transport routes (which can b found online) and travel times.

The best thing to do is show us your options (hopefully once your link is approved we can see) and then maybe we can help you decide on somewhere nice. I can't help you with a flatmate though - you need to source that yourself, and I think the university is the best place to ask, because then you can be placed with another student perhaps?

Cool - good luck! :)

For sure ill need ur help in future,thanks for ur guidence,btw im Preetha,im a dentist and my course in Masters in healthcare management.