I'm a new, anyone interested in hanging out and getting together?

Hello all!

I registered with Expat.com a few days ago. A little bit about myself: I was born in New York, but raised in Greece and attended a German school. Father is greek and mother is german. I moved to Greece a few weeks ago after going to university and working in Washington, D.C.

I speak Greek, German, and English. I have family in Greece and some childhood friends, but I am interested in meeting new people from around the world.

I am eager to explore all of Athens' city secrets and was wondering if anyone is interested in hanging out, hitting up some great places has to offer, and just enjoy the summerlife Greece has to offer. Any others suggestions of places to go and meet new people is very appreciated.

Thanks and hope to hear from you!

hi there, i am relatively new here also, well I have been here for 5 months about- but still not settled yet. I'm Canadian although i did live in Manhattan for a year or so ( used to be in film industry)  but settled back in toronto after to pursue Pilates, which is what i teach and love doing now..

I'm 33 ( female) oh and how old are you anyway if you don't mind me asking? and are you a guy or a girl? not too familiar with terms like "aki" on the ends of names yet etc.. my greek needs has yet to improve!!
anyway if you would like to go for a coffee sometime  ( not sure how far you live from the center tho) let me know, i love meeting new people !

Hey Brody,

Thanks for your message. My name is Alexandra and I am 29 years old. "Aki" at the end of greek names or words means "little". Alexaki means little Alex ;)

Seems you have been places as well. Manhatten, Toronto etc. What brings you to Greece? Its great to hear you are a pilates instructor. I was a track athlete in college. I pulled my achilles tendon then and havent really done much sports since. I have been trying yoga. I want to get into pilates, cycling etc. Would love to chat with you about pilates.

I live in Argyroupoli which is near Glyfada. If you live in Kifissia or Marousi, its pretty much on the complete opposite side of Athens. I usually get downtown with the metro and use my car for places in Glyfada and Voulgiameni etc.

I would love to get together for coffe, drinks or going to the beach. I am actually attending a community connection coffee meeting in Kifissia tomorrow between 10:30-13:30 at Nafsika hotel. Apparently its a monthly meeting place to meet new people over a cup of coffee. They also sell english books, cards, etc. If you are interested in going, let me know, we can go together or meet you there. I think it would be a great place to meet new people.

Talk to you soon!

Brody I've replied to ur mail :P
Alexaki / Brody we should arrange smt whenever u guys can ! :)

brody & koula75, let me know when and what you guys want to do.

coffee or beer on these hot days souns good 2 me!:cool:

name the place and i'll be there ;)

Hello, I have recently moved to Athens, about a week and a half ago. I am from Minnesota and don't know anyone here yet. I'm 23 years old and would like to meet up for coffee or something if anyone is interested

Welcome breeynj!

What brings you to Greece? I am up for coffee or drinks etc. I live near Glyfada. Let me know when you available to meet up.

Talk to you soon!

Welcome to Expat.com, breeynnj :)

I live in Alimos. I'm hoping to have the weekend off so I'll let you know when a good time works for me. Thanks!

Hi

My name is Brian and im moving to Athens end of the month.

I have absolutely no idea what Athens is and where to live yet.

Im moving to athens to study and work a bit.

If u fancy meeting up and have a cup of coffee ect. and maybe show me around i would perfect.

Im 34 and danish. Im moving from london.

Let me know.

Brian

Oh coffee lovers!!!

I moved to Athens 2 weeks ago and am looking for some coffee/ cocktails/ beach friends. I am a 26yr old Aussie gal, and am currently living in Syntagma area.

Would love to hear from you.

Hey to all, if someone wants to get some tips for athens, combining it with a coffee or a beer just let me know.
Hope everyone is having a great time in Athens

Hi Akarthis

Im in Athens now and sniffing around to learn the place a bit better.

I have to check out an apartment in Plaka tomorrow.

If u fancy a drink or bear let me know. Im staying at the Royal Olympic Hotel until thursday but will be back in Athens on monday.

Let me know

If any one els wants to join in pls. feel free to jump on board.

Regards

Brian

Hey, sounds like a deal. I will be walking at center tomorrow afternoon, after job. That means around 5:30. Write your mail so ,we can arange in more details.
More people are welcome

Hi there! I realize this is already an active post but thought Id give it a try.  I am also near here, I mean 2 months new, and really want to meet new people.  I am American and moved here with my husband who is Greek to be closer to family and hopefully start a life here in Athens.  However, meeting a good group of girlfriends has been hard.  I am 27 and pretty easy going, and willing to try just about anything once and most likely I will like it.  If any of you would be interested in meeting, maybe for coffee or something, Id love to! Just shoot me an email at [email protected]

Talk soon I hope!
Heather

Hi Akarthis

Lets say in front of the Parlement building at 18.00

Would be lovely if more from this string/Post was interisting to meet.

my mobile no. is 0044 750 756 1785 have not got a greek mobile yet.

Regards

Brian

Easy drinking, opinion sharing, what else can you ask for a hot Monday evening?
Next time, more heed the call
Stay healthy

Bonjour from Montreal, Canada

I surfed onto this site by happy accident or was guided here by the Angel on my shoulder--in any case, this is truly a wonderful find for people like me who speak greek but have never lived in Athens long enough to get to know the in's & out's of daily life.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to write useful info.
It is refreshing to read some of the comments posted, free from the "PONIRIES & EXIPNADES'  that I have come to know dealing with Greeks who have never lived abroad!

My situation started like this:  My father had a surprise massive heart attack 2 yrs ago and passed away instantly, leaving me as his only heir. I now find myself traveling between Montreal and Athens, dealing with Greek bureaucracy, relatives, etc.. while trying to make good use out of some land that he left me.

Life dealt me a hand I never expected!  I had no intention of moving to Athens, yet here I am, slowly becoming rooted to a city I know little about and have to discover.

So...where to begin?    Does anyone know a good accountant? 

I figure a good accountant is probably the best place to start.

Thank you

Welcome to all of you ! I am greek and I would be pleased to help you if you need some help to find a job, learn some greek or get a view arround the best sights of Athens!I am more interested in meeting french people but I can give help if you need to everyone, americans,etc! Have fun !

Hi Laki :) I'm also from Montreal / Canada (from Greek parents) living here permanently for about 4yrs...culture clash I gather :P hope all turns out well!

Hi Koukla, It is encouraging to know u have survived Athens for 4 yrs. Ur a tough bird--those freezing cold Montreal winters have shaped u well :)

I agree, BUREAUCRATIC CULTURE CLASH is what I'm feeling, I was annoyed at how complicated & time consuming it can get dealing with Government paperwork.( army clearance, greek I.D. card,etc...)  The frustration will fade as I adapt to life in La Grecia!
After spending 3 months in Greece I arrived back to Montreal last week, and only then discovered this site.

P.S.   If u are missing maple syrup for ur french toast I will be happy to bring some on my return trip.:P

Lakiiiiiiii I miss KRAFT DINNER!!!!!!! :P i found it in a supermarket (Thanopoulos) which has some North American brands..BUT 3.50euros a box? cmon!!!!!!! I bought 3 boxes but that was it! :P One of my friends sent me 10 cheese envelopes and I ate them all :P They also had CANADIAN Maple Syrup at 11 euros a bottle, never been much of a fan of it so I didint buy it!

Culture clash so n' so since I've been comingto Greece 1-2 yearly since birth, but yeah, theres lots of #@#$^holes :P and bureaucracy DOES suck!

Where in Mtl are u at? I was at the corner of jeanne-mance park on st-Urbain...!:)

I dont have an accountant for you but I'm very resourceful and can help out a lot ! :D

LOL !!!!  I will fill the suitcase with kraft dinner.:D

I grew up in Park Ex. then la familia moved to Ville St. Laurent just as I was starting high school, and it's where I continue to live 25 yrs later.

I know the area where you lived, I pick up Portugese chicken whenever I'm around there.

If you haven't been back in a while you will be pleasantly surprised at the positive changes happening in your old neighbourhood, there is an "artsy buzz" that has gripped people and pushed them to transform the area into something beautiful. (much more greenery and less concrete, bike paths, etc)

After 4 yrs. of permanent Athens living can you give a newbie 3 things to look out for, that you only discover after doing  "hard living time" in a city?

(sorry to make you work a bit, but -just close your eyes and remember the suitcase full of kraft dinner.:P)

Hi,
@ Lakki
About the accountant, i am in the field and i can tip you with information. If your case demands more detailed observation i will direct you to one who works to my company.

Have a nice weekend everyone

Hi Kosta, thank you for posting.

I am looking for a professional accountant to study my file.

I will be returning to Greece in the next few months perhaps we can meet and compare notes, maybe we can help each other out.

thanks again

Hey Lakki,
Sure thing about comparing notes. I'll be glad helping you out with our "wonderful" system when you are here.

Hi Kalina and Kostos

I forgot my mobile at home but let's say tonight by Mac D at 20.00 like last time.

Ok if any problems i work at 2 Navarchou Nikodimou and will be there until 20.00

See ya

Thorhauge