How to make friends in Trinidad and Tobago

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Trinidad and Tobago :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Trinidad and Tobago??

Thanks in advance for your participation

For sure that in term of cultural events, there is not much to do here, Trinidad is wellknown for it's Carnival and for the liming time...People likes to party here...
You still have Movie Town, the Queen's Hall for some theatre, and maybe some performing arts with the new Art's center being open ...

I am an Indian singer now a time i am living in Toronto (Canada) & i like to make friends & visit to Trinidad so i need your help is it possible
thanks
vishu

vishu : me too. please let me know...

Having visited Trinidad lots of times it is easy to make friends there. You can go to one of the many clubs. Trinidadians are normally really friendly and love to chat and LIME!!!

Ian
(moderated: no ads)

It is easy to find friends in Trinidad. If you don't like going to the many bars like Shakers then I suggest going to some light classes. It is easy to meet new friends in common interests if you join a class. Not sure if you like Yoga but there is a great place called Moksha Yogo where there are some nice people. You can find small classes to do in the newspapers or search for them on facebook. Hope this helps.

Hiiii I'm Trinidadian, currently expat in Egypt Cairo,

But i can tell you it's really really easy to make friends in Trinidad, Trinidadians are very friendly and warm towards foreigners, we love a good party (which we call "lime") this can be from just standing outside on the street having beersssss or alcohol of any kind for that matter!!! Yesssss u can drink alcohol on the streets of Trinidad, anywhere anytime, and it does not have to be in a brown bagggggg U can stand in front of the police station and do this even in front of the PRESIDENT'S house :D Happpy daysss that it iss.

Port of Spain is where u want to be for all the lime light though on any given day.  And be sure to be their for Carnival, u haven't been to trni, unless u check out Carnival "the GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH" :D

so i think you can rest assured that trini's love to make friends and ABSOLUTELY LOVE TO "LIME" AKA partying, hanging out.

Oh and never mind the blatant speech, don't mean anything by it, that's just the way we speak.

Hope i was helpful have fun the trini way (the true freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee wayyyy):D

caribbean chica wrote:

Hiiii I'm Trinidadian, currently expat in Egypt Cairo,

But i can tell you it's really really easy to make friends in Trinidad, Trinidadians are very friendly and warm towards foreigners, we love a good party (which we call "lime") this can be from just standing outside on the street having beersssss or alcohol of any kind for that matter!!! Yesssss u can drink alcohol on the streets of Trinidad, anywhere anytime, and it does not have to be in a brown bagggggg U can stand in front of the police station and do this even in front of the PRESIDENT'S house :D Happpy daysss that it iss.

Port of Spain is where u want to be for all the lime light though on any given day.  And be sure to be their for Carnival, u haven't been to trni, unless u check out Carnival "the GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH" :D

so i think you can rest assured that trini's love to make friends and ABSOLUTELY LOVE TO "LIME" AKA partying, hanging out.

Oh and never mind the blatant speech, don't mean anything by it, that's just the way we speak.

Hope i was helpful have fun the trini way (the true freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee wayyyy):D

Looks nice country.

go to a bar  ^ _ ^ or any kind of gathering ^ _ ^ us trinis are strange beings that can make friend anytime anywhere *we usually drink anytime anywhere as well * but just try talking to us !
we are very casual no stress people. so have fun in trinidad

[Moderated: Expat.com is not a dating website]

Expat.com wrote:

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Trinidad and Tobago :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Trinidad and Tobago??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Trinidadians are some of the most friendly people on earth.  If you go out to a social fun, sports activity or new at a job, be polite, say hello, make small talk, ask their opinion on liming places.  They might just invite you out.  Guys watch out for the ladies, in Trinidad its 10 female to 1 male, so there is a shortage. Get involved in some sports club, lions is a great way to meet people.  Trinidadians like people believe in manners, like, saying goodmorning, goodafternoon, thank you. They will not think highly of you will you give off the attitude that you are better than they are.  Hope I was able to help.

I've been living in Trinidad for about a year now. And I have found a great set of people here who I'm proud to call my friends. Most of them are from work tho. But I did spanish classes at UWI, and swimming classes, and I've been going to toastmasters meetings. Through those mediums, i've made friends with amazing persons. And the bonus is since these are things I'm interested in, I've found persons with similar interests.

So take up a class, or join a club or community project (even if its not your community).

hi iam a Trinidadian and i am here to make friends and business where possible
dex123

I agree that it's easy to make friends here.  The island is small so it's two degrees of separation.  This means that once you meet a few people you'll quickly expand your network.  I'm not one to go to a bar by myself, so I've found activities such as hiking groups to be best for me b/c the small setting provides more opportunity to talk and make friends.  Trinis love to show off their beautiful country so they'll quickly take you in and show you a good time. 

There's a hash group here that goes on bi monthly Sat runs in the bush. You get to see various parts of TNT and meet cool people (who all love to drink and lime). It's a great group to get involved in with people from all over with various interests.

hello tyo all my soon to be friends !!! hope to be talking to u all soon.

hello !! i am a new member of this site and i must say i am pleased with all the comments ive red so far. i am from Jamaica , no need for the eyebrows now guys please , i am one of the good ones. i have never bin to Trinidad before but i am always a fan of this country as far back from Primary sch. i do hope to meet some real friends from this country. please feel free to contact !!!

That is really encouraging !!!

[moderated: off topic]

I agree with most of the comments left. Trinidad is a great place to meet new people and generate new relationships. I would suggest getting out often. Simply read the daily newspapers and see what events and functions are coming soon. Based on your personality and interests select a few and see what happens!

To make friends here in Trinidad and Tobago may not be as difficult as you might think , firstly the people here are very warm and will open up if you really want to reach out to them , any ways what are your interest , be it drinking , pub , sea , cooking or just getting to know the island , i belive it might be eaiser than you think

look for instance  i worked in the ship building assistant fro a while  and i meet up with some mature people white very open minded taste and the facts is you need to find a similar interest , like for example ,,, bird watching , massages , or art or what ever is your interest and surely some one will share it and you can meet others with like mindness , if you want email me and i can probally make time to go to the sea or a simle picnic with you or introduce you to some one etc [email protected]

I AM UGANDAN WILLING TO HAVE A FRIEND FROM TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO PLEASE CATCH ME UP AND WE EXCHANGE SOME VALUES

Hi ECWAKU GABRIEL,

Please can you avoid posting in caps lock, this make your text difficult to read. :)

May be can you tell us more about yourself. ;)

Thank you,

David.

i'm still not get some of the information i want been its my first time travelling to Trinidad and i want work permit to work in country and also somewhere to rent and how i go about getting a job.

Hi saltfish,

Can you be more specific on the work you are looking for... in which sector pls? It might bring better guidance and save your time if you give us accurate information :D

You should post an advert or your resume in the jobs in Trinidad and Tobago section. Make sure to adjust your qualification and you experiences on your resume to the jobs your are applying please. It might help ;)

For accommodation, you should post an advert in the Housing in Trinidad and Tobago section pls :)

Best wishes and hope this was helpful.. sure the other members will soon give you more feedback ;)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

if you haven't made any friends check me in st. james this weedend and i could be your friend ....

I a young business man in nigeria. One of my main hopy is traveling leaning new culture meating people from diffrent background,testing thire food, I like nature elot wildlife beaches and ocean. Am planing to. Take a trip to trinidad and tobago in december to celebrat christmas there cos am a christian. So looking farwed to meat a friand dat will show me around country thanks.€

Just be urself

[Moderated: off topic]

hey all I am a Nigeria that wish to reallocate to T&T.and am an experienced public health officer.I did contact the embassy and one of the things I need to get is an invite from the person am going to see over there and for now o don't have I just want to reallocate.
any advice would be highly appreciated.
thanks all

Hi, am moyia am from jamaica and am really interesting in meeting new friends from trinidad and tobago.

Am new and. I will like to start getting to know some TnT people at this moment, if interested.

Try taking a class on any subject you like to meet like minded people or get involved with a church group or even volunteer, there are many ways to meet people

Hey if you need friends please feel free to email me as needed [email protected]   or call me 1868 3895003

Greetings!
I am moving to POS in two weeks and would love to meet people involved in sustainability, keen to explore outdoors. etc. My background is in environmentalism and I am currently writing a book on biodiversity in food, told through the lens of taste. My favorite chapter is the one on chocolate, and I am grateful to be spending the next few months working with the Cocoa Research Centre.
I am not much for heavy partying but am one for delicious food and good conversation.
Kind regards,
Simran

Send me more details about Trinidad through.....++++

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : avoid posting your personal details pls

I would love to meet some friends, and even visit some day.

contact the Nigerian Embassy in Trinidad

HI bro how are You , are You still using this site, I plan to visit there , do u have a whatspp;

Been here a while now and I'm finding it difficult to meet like minded friends

hi I am nadeem abbas from UAE. Working as Refrigeration technician in big maintenance company. I like to come to trinidad and tobago. For doing job or business. Plz advise me
Closed