Do women in the Middle East secretly date or communicate with males?

Thank you everyone for participating, and giving your opions on this topic, it's greatly appreciated.

Julie

I don't think it's forbidden to have meeting or dating with women as long as it does not exceed the limits of the traditions and customs of the country .

I agree with LordMaxmillean.

Traditionally, with many families dating is unacceptable, unless your engaged to the one your dating.  Protecting and honoring ones name is a Big Deal to the whole family. I'm sure that people date, but secretly.... online, friends at school etc. But to say this is acceptable is wrong by tradition. And to have sex before marriage is forbidden, so im thinking this dont happen very often even with secret relationships.

You sad it already: it has all to do with traditions and it has nothing to do with the law.
I think here is big taboo about this subject and yes, lots of things happends secretly but it doesn't mean that it does not exist.

The more "modern" families maybe they are more open minded in this but like LordMaxmillean said before: not exeed the limits of the traditions and customs.

When I look around at the univeristy I see lots of young couples talking and sitting with each other.
Do you think that their parents/family knows?

If they are from a traditional middle eastern family then.... There parents dont know.... im almost sure of it.... unless they are expats. And if someone tells the parents, goodluck to them, they will probably never see each other again.

Of course they do, but that generally depends on the area they're in (Amman for example, is a bit more open) as opposed to some other forsaken place.

I kind of agree with all of the discussions but my belief is that dating is no longer tabooed for some families, especially in areas like Abdoun and Sweifiyah, and in families with western background in general. Movies have a very serious impact on girls and boys; they simply make the forbidden more acceptable by time. It is like career change for the first time; u fear change until change takes place and then you realize that change is not that bad, and it could even much better. Unfortunately this is not healthy in our culture because, to me, it widens the gap between old and new generations and parents would by and by lose control over their sons and daughters, coz the tepptation of openness is irresistable, it is diabolically good! I think I would talk more about this, but I may need longer space than this forum. I am against dating unless it is done by mature and grown-up couples who are independent. for any questions you may contact me on 0788294600

hi
firstly why do u choose this topic ?
but I'D say u can say that but not as uthink

Lovely, when somone is used to a certain way that things just happen... ie, dating, in the culture they are from  and then they have the chance to experience a different culture where dating is not the norm, then its just natural to be curious. 

I have asked this question many times. In hopes to learn what makes people so different..... or not so different...... and traditions do play a big part in how we react and what we think,, but It really comes down to weather the individual accepts the beliefs  as right or wrong.
Many young people have no desire to date while others do desire to date. If the one desiring to date is from a family where this is forbidden, then they make the choice to sneek or repress. It is what it is, some people are forced to be dishonest out of fear for losing family and respect and some people want to wait  until engagment.

elaine  sweet fruit is forbidden .
your speach is true , sex , curiousness , desire and troubles  all these factors take its place in this case ,  but it depends the people and there beleaves
but with engajment dating will be much beatiful

yo it all depends on the family

it is unacceptable to date in Jordan, but they do it anyway. Was it after work, in the Univ. or after school.

However sexual relations are totally forbidden, and are very hard to happen. It is a very strict , conservative society despite the fact you see a lot of the contrary images in Malls, Restaurants, and Cafes

people are the same everywhere? i agree with some comments, still, its not only in western Amman, maybe only more obvious, but people meet everywhere in Jordan, i assume,
people manage to meet, look at mobiles and what they offer, every single person can meet tuns of people in many sites, even at work or education,
then depend on what girls are in to, all dream to find the charming prince to end in a serious relation, but if didnt happen, girls can be enaged in different types of relations, not necessarly phisical, but as a natural need for attention and love, and i see it normal and healthy..

Mobile and what they offer you wrote.
That's why you get problems with brothers or fathers who control your phone.
Or when you dial a wrong number they keep bothering you.

What s wrong with that ? Normal people don't mind if there is no exceeding limits communication ... You can go with boy or girl anywhere you want but what's forbedden is sex ...

It's possible, but usually many of the women in the family know what is going on but none of the men. Or if they do know, they keep quiet about it. The problem is once it is over and the man is reined in by his family and married off to one of them, the girl could be left with no one to marry. Of course the males in the family who are looking for mates will consult their mothers who basically do the matchmaking. The mothers, obliquely or directly, will steer their sons away from the girl in question.

Middle Eastern families are one big secret. If the guy is the one playing around, all of the men will know for sure, but possibly none of the women will know, not even his mother. If the girl is playing around, with a relationship outside the family, the women may know but for sure will keep quiet, (unless they don't like or are jealous of the girl, then it's a whole different story) but everyone will be on edge, because if she is seen with him in public there will be a very big mess.

its ok and its not forbidden :)

i agree