Can foreigners own property in Indonesia?

I have asked around and I keep getting different answers, so i thought I'll ask here.

Can foreigners own property in their own name in Indonesia. I mean a foreigner who does not work in Indonesia or have any status. For example, I am able to buy property in Malaysia although I am Singaporean and not working or doing business in Malaysia.

I was thinking of buying a piece of land to build a house for myself in Bandung. Wonder it its possible.

Also, if anyone knows if social work carries any weight in Indonesia. I have done several clean water projects in Jawa. And several other projects to help the poor... these past two years. Someone mentioned to me yesterday that those things I have done may help me now. I don't know.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Sheri

No.
See sticky at top of Indo page.

Hi Sheri,

I'm surprised to hear that when asking around you get different answers to what is a very simple question…can foreigners own land in their own name?  The answer is no
under current law, (regardless of status or work), and it doesn't look as though that law will be changing anytime soon.

Your best option is for a long term lease with right of use and to build.  Such leases can initially be for a 25 year period, extendable for another 25 year period.  The next time you're in Bandung stop by and discuss this with a notaris.   Many foreigners, both ASEAN and non ASEAN have such arrangements here in Indonesia and this seems to be adequate.   

Regarding your volunteer social work, what kind of “help” do you think that will provide for you beyond the satisfaction you have in knowing that you have helped others?   So, I don't know what kind of “weight” or influence you think your social work might carry, but that certainly doesn't provide a path to navigate around the laws and regulations here in Indonesia. 

Good luck!  Bandung is wonderful.

Thank you very much. Yes, I heard of this right of use... but I wasnt sure if it was legit.

Anyone can help me with the contact of any good, honest notaris in Bandung?

Also, what are good places should I look at to live? I like Bandung because its cool and has an airport that connects directly to Singapore.

Any input welcomed :) Thank you so much.

Sheri

@ mas fred

Yes... done, thanks :)

Sheri, I suggest you start another posting thread:  "Notaris Recommendations for Bandung Please"...and solicit suggestions on that thread.  You might also start another thread soliciting suggestions on best areas in Bandung for living.

The type of lease you're looking for is called Hak Pakai and it is indeed a very legitimate and legal lease for use by foreigners.  You can read more about these leases by a simple Google search under  Hak Pakai.  Just don't be mislead by statements like, “Foreigners can Use Hak Pakai to Purchase Property in Indonesia” as that is totally false in that you are not purchasing property, rather you are only purchasing a limited and time certain right of use of property.

Wonderful! Thank you for your input and suggestion :)

Sheri

yes i think you can buy 1 house or may be big house with the land but going smoothly with the local people helped.

[moderated: sorry but free advertisement is not allowed]