Licensed Teacher ADEC

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some information regarding the Licensed Teacher positions with ADEC in Abu Dhabi.

I've read a few posts regarding this, however I've noticed that such posts are from last year and I know how quickly situations can change!

After an interview with Nord Anglia I have been offered a position, however I could do with some facts from anyone in the know before I make my mind up...

What is it like working in Abu Dhabi state schools with local teachers and Emirati children? Obviously, I know that this would vary from school to school and region to region, but what's the general consensus?

What is the standard of accommodation provided?

Finally, although I would prefer to be based in Abu Dhabi, there is also a possibility that I may be placed in Al Ain or Al Gharbia, what are these regions like for a young male in terms of standard of living and things to do?

Sorry for all the questions, if anyone could answer any of them I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi,
I see there have been no replies to your blog!!! Did you get any information? I have also been recruited to ADEC through a different company and would also like to find out more information. I am female and been offered a post teaching year 12 girls in Abu Dhabi.

I am also a teacher starting a new job in August and have pretty much the same questions so am really interested in the replies. What is life like for expats in Al Ain and how do you get involved with the various activities available

I am exactly in the same position, I have been offered a job with ADEC and would be placed in Abu Dhabi with the possibility of Al Ain or Al Gharbia. I'm not sure what it would be like teaching local Emiratis. I have also been offered a job in an international school in Doha, Qatar, which pays less but I get the feeling it's a very good school and I can see myself fitting there very well. I'm not sure which to choose now. I don't want to be tempted by the money and go for the ADEC post and end up hating it!

Someone, please reply.

Hi,

Yes I know what you mean, sounds like we're in exactly the same position really. I'm just looking for some information on the other two areas outisde Abu Dhabi that I may be placed (Al Ain & Al Gharbia). After speaking to some people Abu Dhabi city itself sounds great so if I was placed there I reckon I would go for it. I think it would be a good experience teaching local Emirati's, although I don't know enough about it to make an informed decision. What are your thoughts?

Also, do any of you know anything about the accomodation provided by ADEC? is it likely that you would be placed in an apartment block with other teachers in the same position?

I just don't want to sign anything then get placed somewhere I really don't want to be. So I really need some more advice before making any decisions.

Andy

The thing is you don't know much information until you get there. On my contract it just says Abu Dhabi, but Abu Dhabi is an Emirate and Al Ain and Al Gharbia are within it so I could be placed anywhere. I don't like the uncertainty. I'm contemplating accepting the Qatar post where I know the school, the class I will be teaching and the ability and intake of the children even though I will get paid less.

Is it literally a case of getting off the plane and getting told where u will be based? I'm really not up for that. That's far too much of a gamble really. I don't know what I'll do now. Might try ang keep this option open while looking for something else.

Hi

I am considering accepting an elementary position, will be coming there wiht my husband.  They keep syaing it will be in Abu Dhabi.  Would like to hear other people's comments in their experiences, both living there, and going there.

I've only visited Abu Dhabi at the point, but Al Ain is my favorite city in the UAE, smaller than Dubai & Abu Dhabi with more Arabic flavor but still a reasonable size expat community.

We met a number of expats there and they all seemed to love it.  If your keen on walking and outdoor activities you have Oman on your doorstep which is a huge plus.

I also will be working with ADEC and was recruited by Nord Anglia.  I have visited Dubai several times. It's a great country to live in.  My sister in laws have lived there for 20 years almost.  I hear the schools can be a bit chaotic but if you have good classroom management skills (at least elementary school) it shouldn't be too bad.  The living is very similar to the west, in the sense they have pretty much everything you would find in the US-Burger King, KFC, Chili's etc except of course no pork.  It takes some getting used to hearing the Athan at 430 in the morning but I adapted pretty quickly when I was there.  I have seen the traffic and can only say YIKES.  It is HORRIBLE.  I haven't driven in Abu Dhabi,but its anything like Dubai, good luck.  Hope that helps.

nyelene wrote:

Burger King, KFC, Chili's etc except of course no pork.

Sorry to contradict you Nyelene!
Restaurants (mostly in hotels) have pork dishes (they will be clearly marked in the buffets).
Supermarkets such as Spinneys and probably others do have a pork only counter (usually at the back of the shop).

Cheers
Arlette

If I do get a teaching offer, whether it is Abu Dhabi or Al Ain, how does the finding of our apartment work?  How do you know where to begin?

A good offer should include free family accommodation, transportation, health insurance, airfare tickets, paid annual vacation plus annual salary increase.

Hi,

There are a lot of posts from people who are looking for information, but very little responce from the expat community in Abu Dhabi.

I too have taken a contract with ADEC and would like to know what the single housing allowance is?

I have e mailed ADEC a week ago asking this question but have had no reply.

Is there anyone out there who works for ADEC on the single housing allowance that could give us/me more insight into the accommodation situation? It is obviously a big issue.

skg

Hi,
I am teaching here under the ADEC umbrella with one of the many providers. Yes it is daunting when you have no idea where you will be located but often companies working for ADEC do not know until Aug what schools they have a where they will be. Due to this they recruit people and keep them in a pool till they are sure where they need to be placed.

Abu Dhabi as you know is the capital so it is busier with more to do than Al Ain. Al Ain is a quieter, slightly more conservative town but loved by many.Many people revolve around the rugby club in Al Ain even if you dont play rugby. There are restaurants, pubs and outdoor stuff. Abu Dhabi has more choice and is bigger basically. I have friends who have moved from Abu Dhabi to Al Ain in the teaching field and loved it. At the end of the day they are about 1.5 hours apart so easy for a weekend away. Al Gharbia is out in the desert and will be quiet. depends what tpye of person you are and what you like doing after hours!!

Accomodation is an issue. Some people were given housing by ADEC last year, some were given an allowance and told to find somewhere. Places on the island are more expensive than off. There is an area called Khalifa City, about 20 mins out of Abu Dhabi city,which has a lot of studios and apartments available at the mo. Studios can be found fr 50,000 plus per year. Friends of mine just moved into a brand new 2 bed flat for 100,000. Another area called MBZ... mohammed bin zayed city is slightly furthur out of tomwn but places are cheaper there too. Khalifa and MBZ have shops and supermarkets but not much night life so to speak. You would travel towards town for a night out. You can check out Gulfnews.com I think and Dubizzle.com for classifieds and property.

Teaching in local schools is an amazing experience. Different challenges and you must be very culturally aware and sensitive. I have taught in International schools here too and all I can say is leave your misconceptions at home, have no expectations and keep an open mind. I have friends in Qatar also who enjoy it. Some in Doha English Speaking school and some in Dukhan. Both have lived and worked in various countries and have now lived in Qatar for a number of years. So life must be good there too.

If you are working in local schools here then you will usually have the support of one of the provider companies who are based in the schools. each provider has their own system of working with L teachers and the level of support, invitations to meeting and general taking you under their wing varies. At the end of the day the people you work with in school will be your support network and most are very understanding of what it is like to be new!!

Hope all this blurb helps.

Andy,
I read your post and it said everything I've been wondering. I was recruited by the same company and have basically been kept in the dark. While the newsletters have been helpful, I still have lots of questions. Do we know how we're being paid? This car business worries me - I'm not used to driving on the right and certainly haven't experienced the type of traffic we've been led to expect. I'm wondering why the accommodation is so far away from schools? I'm not thrilled at the prospect of spending up to 3 hours a day sitting in a car. Does anyone know what the consequences are for early termination of a contract?
Is there a way of communicating via email?
Sorry about all the question marks, but I am excited to be able to talk to others in the same boat.
Cheers
Annie

Hi,
just read yr mail. I am also awaiting 2nd interview with Nord Anglia. Dead interested to workl there too. am 43 female English teacher. the offer says 225000AED is that good enuf. married with 2 sons, 18/13. how is housing like? eran £45000 gorss in London now and want to make sure finances wud be right be4 embarking on thsi exciting dream to teach in UAE.
big thanks for replies. very anxious now as I hv interview next week.
Pls help!!!

andrewrhodes wrote:

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for some information regarding the Licensed Teacher positions with ADEC in Abu Dhabi.

I've read a few posts regarding this, however I've noticed that such posts are from last year and I know how quickly situations can change!

After an interview with Nord Anglia I have been offered a position, however I could do with some facts from anyone in the know before I make my mind up...

What is it like working in Abu Dhabi state schools with local teachers and Emirati children? Obviously, I know that this would vary from school to school and region to region, but what's the general consensus?

What is the standard of accommodation provided?

Finally, although I would prefer to be based in Abu Dhabi, there is also a possibility that I may be placed in Al Ain or Al Gharbia, what are these regions like for a young male in terms of standard of living and things to do?

Sorry for all the questions, if anyone could answer any of them I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Andy

Hello Arlette,
sent u emal earlier. anxious about english job offer for ADEC in Abu Dhabi.
wud be sooo grateful to get info on whether offered pay of 225000 gross is good enuf + acco and bonuse

FeeAcer wrote:
nyelene wrote:

Burger King, KFC, Chili's etc except of course no pork.

Sorry to contradict you Nyelene!
Restaurants (mostly in hotels) have pork dishes (they will be clearly marked in the buffets).
Supermarkets such as Spinneys and probably others do have a pork only counter (usually at the back of the shop).

Cheers
Arlette

If they're offering 22,500, that's more than any of the LT's from last year are making.  I guess you must have a doctorate.  check out the TeachAway FaceBook page.  That has LOTS of info on it.
Good luck.

mamijaka wrote:

Hello Arlette,
sent u emal earlier. anxious about english job offer for ADEC in Abu Dhabi.
wud be sooo grateful to get info on whether offered pay of 225000 gross is good enuf + acco and bonuse

Maybe I'm wrong, but do they really use txt speak as part of the curriculum these days? No wonder the kids are so f***** up :mad:

Hello Andy.
I arrived to the UAE August 25 and am working with an ADEC provider.  I am still trying to fiugre out things myself but I will tell you my agency has been wonderful.  The housing, meal plan, transportation, and training have been marvelous thus far. 
Al Ain is a lovely area very very close to the city of Abu Dhabi.  It is very family oriented and has more green in it than many of the areas I have seen so far.
ADEC teachers return to school Sept 12 and students return September 15.  I live and work in a very rural area outside of Abu Dhabi and love it.
If you accept the offer to teach here, I hope your agency will be as kind to you as mine.  As I said earlier, I am still trying to learn things about this area, but if I can help at all, please, let me know.
Lani

Dear Expats -new or existing:

Moving to Abu Dhabi or Al Ain  and with a Teaching job' is a great idea. You won't regret it for many reasons!!!

From my experience- my husband is teaching(English) in Abu Dhabi University and was recruited by the uni from China. My husband is teaching Local Emiratis, who are sometimes young boys and girls sometimes, professionals, and they are military. He enjoys teaching them so far I can hear from him some funny stories; it's a great way to learn Arabic and their culture. The locals are very nice people if you can get to know them. Some are awesomely knowledgeable and open to discuss anything. My husband got some locals guy friends  me some girls and all of them are very nice people- once they invited us to visit their private camp in a desert, it was something experience, I loved riding over the dunes, at dark and light,, locals are fascinated when it comes to drive! I love the way they eat in a big plate together (with everyone) by hand.

~ many times I have seen my husband being frustrated because of the students (laziness/ unwilling to study etc), sometimes the management is an issue-not efficient enough to handle difficulties and afraid of accepting ‘change' which affects everyone around you. It might not be easy for expats to work in such a difficult condition but the scenario is not same in all places.

We have got furnished accommodation, medical insurance, ticket etc. The benefits depend on the contract that you agree with your employer by negotiations. Normally, for the teachers in most cases- the institutes arrange the accommodations, for singles (shared villas), for married couples (flats), If children they arrange bigger flats.   

Those who work far from home,- its better to drive rather than depending on taxis which is far expensive. I live 25km away from work, so everyday I drive50 km, sometimes it takes 1 hour to reach depending on the traffic, but its getting better and will get better I hope. Many people live in Dubai and work in Abu Dhabi (130km) and vice versa of course their means of transport is driving. People who will be based in Al Gharbia, Ruwais for example (western region- industrial, oil, gas – area- border with Qatar) – its better for them to find accommodation within the are because it's a bit far away from the Abu Dhabi city

It's very easy to buy a car here (2ndhand or new) through your bank (they will arrange car loan against your salary).  If you want to sell it that is also easy(with bank's help if you find a buyer). For some British expat- its difficult to drive on the right side but if you take some (private driving lessons) just showing your previous License, you will get used to with it. It will cost 100AED per hour. The trainers gather (all day) in front of carrefoure(airport road), male, female trainers are available.

Life over all in Abu Dhabi is very good. If we can overlook in certain things in the society/systems and respect local norms and traditions. we are having fun working and living here, no stress for paying bills/ no tax. We get almost every international cuisine/shopping/clothing/cosmetics. We go eat out, watch movies, clubbing, shopping, meet friends .. (Making friends with opposite gender is very difficult here-for the women basically)

Cheers to all, and welcome!:)

Oh just to clarify, its 225,000AED yearly, as well as the other pecks. Just wanted to know if this is good enough for a family (husband & 13 year old). My hussy also hunting for job there now so 2 salaries better than one. Also I am anxious about British schools they have there in AB for my 13 year old in Year 9. Any info will be gratefully received.

nwilkins824 wrote:

If they're offering 22,500, that's more than any of the LT's from last year are making.  I guess you must have a doctorate.  check out the TeachAway FaceBook page.  That has LOTS of info on it.
Good luck.

Is the wage good enough??? Well, generally teachers get between 8 and 12k aed per month, so 18k plus is good, and to be honest the jobs are part of an education reform so may only be for a few years and then AD should be in 'top of league' worldwide (dream on)

Take the risk......isn't it a risk wherever you are on a salary and benefits of this type?  I have a lovely flat, wage, and am very happy working in AD and Dubai.......one point....Emirati boys can be very lively and as a women, I didn't enjoy teaching them as the lessons were marred by unacceptable behaviour like chatting and lack of motivation.....not surprising if they go home and have another 6 or more teaches 1 to 1. Girls a dream......in my experience.

by the way ADEC offer is excellent.....:cool:  Just behave and respect the Islamic values......we're not here to change cultures and beliefs.

Pork easy to buy......alcohol also ......don't drink or eat during Ramadan and get used to driving fast with your eyes wide open...even the one's on the back of your head!!!

thanks immensely for your response. very helpful indeed.

Abu Dhabi Flower wrote:

Is the wage good enough??? Well, generally teachers get between 8 and 12k aed per month, so 18k plus is good, and to be honest the jobs are part of an education reform so may only be for a few years and then AD should be in 'top of league' worldwide (dream on)

Take the risk......isn't it a risk wherever you are on a salary and benefits of this type?  I have a lovely flat, wage, and am very happy working in AD and Dubai.......one point....Emirati boys can be very lively and as a women, I didn't enjoy teaching them as the lessons were marred by unacceptable behaviour like chatting and lack of motivation.....not surprising if they go home and have another 6 or more teaches 1 to 1. Girls a dream......in my experience.

by the way ADEC offer is excellent.....:cool:  Just behave and respect the Islamic values......we're not here to change cultures and beliefs.

Pork easy to buy......alcohol also ......don't drink or eat during Ramadan and get used to driving fast with your eyes wide open...even the one's on the back of your head!!!

'Abu Dhabi' is not like the way it was shown in the movie' Sex and the City 2(2010)!! shocking…my god! :rolleyes:

I have just been hired by nord anglia as an advisory teacher but have discovered that since I am starting late (someone dropped out) I don't get end of contract bonus plus I dont get a relocation allowance because I have worked less than one year? Is this normal? Has anyone have any experience working with nord anglia asan advisory teacher?

Nord Anglia's contract with you has nothing to do with ADEC.  As an advisory teacher, you are there to give model lessons and help the Arab teachers with lesson plans.  You do NOT work for ADEC.  ADEC LT's get their end of contract bonus no matter when they were hired. Nord Anglia is a separate company doing contract work for ADEC.

hello, read your info and felt you could help me. i applied to nord anglai 1 month ago. had a telephone interview with TeachAway, nice lady in canada. to date am still waiting for 2nd interview for advisory teacher post. I have emailed her twice but things going very slow, losing patience. is this how long it took u tooget going with them? i live in the \UK, female teaching for over 12 years. salary offer is approx 18000 monthly + accomodation. i worry that this may not be enough to pay my 13 year old's school fees there which seem quite high. can you help me with some information to allay some worries. heartfelt thanks

bellatrix wrote:

I have just been hired by nord anglia as an advisory teacher but have discovered that since I am starting late (someone dropped out) I don't get end of contract bonus plus I dont get a relocation allowance because I have worked less than one year? Is this normal? Has anyone have any experience working with nord anglia asan advisory teacher?

I understand i am not employed by ADEC. Was just after information as to what benefits they offerred. I applied to teach away a few times months ago. Never heard anything. I am a female science teacher too. My benefits are the same as yours mamijaka, 18000K month and accomodation. You should also get school fees allowance for your child. The process does take a while.

Thanks for your response. I guess I will just check out others whilst waiting for them. Do you mind giving me an idea how long it took you from when you applied through TA to when you got hired? Are you already in AD or still in your home country? I was told that I should possibly be looking at DEcember/January as a possible start time. I also understand that although its not ADEC being our direct employers, they have to follow ADEC guildelines on pay and conditions. I will also attempt applying directly to ADEC through the providers. sorry for so many questions but any answers will be most helpful.

bellatrix wrote:

I understand i am not employed by ADEC. Was just after information as to what benefits they offerred. I applied to teach away a few times months ago. Never heard anything. I am a female science teacher too. My benefits are the same as yours mamijaka, 18000K month and accomodation. You should also get school fees allowance for your child. The process does take a while.

Yeah I got my job through axcis, a uk agency, who hire for nord anglia. I live in Australia and I am flying out in 4 weeks. Took ages because of ramadan then I had the interview in early sept and just got the contract on thursday. The benefits are not the same as being employed through ADEC. We dont get all the allowances that they do. Pay is the same as is flights etc but that is it.
I am starting in 4 weeks but my contract is not a full year so i guess i dont a gratuity either at the end of the contract either. Read up on your abu dhabi labour laws before you come.

ohhhhh you are wonderful with such a quick response. thanks. here is what I hv been sent. through Teach Away who are recriuters for Nord Anglia. and I hear Nord Anglia are one of the best employers there. Job details are: Secondary level students, 225,000AED per year, public school, 1 year contract, 22-30 per class, furnished accomodation, employer provides visa & family healthcare, 20000AED given for unfurnished housing, 24000AED bonus if placed in rural area, annual transportation allowance, mobilisation allowance, school fees allowance for up to 2 children -25,000 per child. what then does ADEC offer on top of this? I dont seem to find it anywhere. So what you meant was TA was your recruiter for AXCIS? I am so grateful for your assistance. i will surely read up on the labour laws, anything particular about it to take note of? I hv read loads on what is allowed and not tolerated in the muslim world which i find ok really. I am fussy about everything cos I have a family. Best of luck to you for everything.
thanks again.

bellatrix wrote:

Yeah I got my job through axcis, a uk agency, who hire for nord anglia. I live in Australia and I am flying out in 4 weeks. Took ages because of ramadan then I had the interview in early sept and just got the contract on thursday. The benefits are not the same as being employed through ADEC. We dont get all the allowances that they do. Pay is the same as is flights etc but that is it.
I am starting in 4 weeks but my contract is not a full year so i guess i dont a gratuity either at the end of the contract either. Read up on your abu dhabi labour laws before you come.

I am guessing mobilisation allowance is to do with some money towards either cabs or taxis or towards buying a car.

mamijaka wrote:

ohhhhh you are wonderful with such a quick response. thanks. here is what I hv been sent. through Teach Away who are recriuters for Nord Anglia. and I hear Nord Anglia are one of the best employers there. Job details are: Secondary level students, 225,000AED per year, public school, 1 year contract, 22-30 per class, furnished accomodation, employer provides visa & family healthcare, 20000AED given for unfurnished housing, 24000AED bonus if placed in rural area, annual transportation allowance, mobilisation allowance, school fees allowance for up to 2 children -25,000 per child. what then does ADEC offer on top of this? I dont seem to find it anywhere. So what you meant was TA was your recruiter for AXCIS? I am so grateful for your assistance. i will surely read up on the labour laws, anything particular about it to take note of? I hv read loads on what is allowed and not tolerated in the muslim world which i find ok really. I am fussy about everything cos I have a family. Best of luck to you for everything.
thanks again.

bellatrix wrote:

is it because you heard nothing from Teach Away that you decided to apply through Axcis for the same Nord Anglia??

mamijaka wrote:

I am guessing mobilisation allowance is to do with some money towards either cabs or taxis or towards buying a car.

mamijaka wrote:

thanks again.

bellatrix wrote:

I dont think that is for nord anglia. I thought mobilisation allowance is setup money for when you arrive (relocation allowance so you can buy some stuff when you arrive). Maybe I'm wrong. Nord anglia contract doesn't mention anything other then accomodation and flights home.
I didn't use TA, I applied but heard nothing from them.

Oh yes they have confimed to me and sent me the forms that my employer is Nord Anglia. I did worry so asked specifically and got the response that its Nord Anglia. I am just confused now and hope this is true as I have the documents they sent as an attached file in my email inbox. But I hear they are not consistent with everyone. I know the package must be right before I accept any offer.

bellatrix wrote:

I dont think that is for nord anglia. I thought mobilisation allowance is setup money for when you arrive (relocation allowance so you can buy some stuff when you arrive). Maybe I'm wrong. Nord anglia contract doesn't mention anything other then accomodation and flights home.
I didn't use TA, I applied but heard nothing from them.

well then it must be nord anglia then. Does your contract mention a relocation allowance? or gratuity? Can you let me know please.

also my contract isnt for 1 year but until the end of the academic year but since I start late is not one year

not not really. its the list I have sent you that I was offered.

bellatrix wrote:

well then it must be nord anglia then. Does your contract mention a relocation allowance? or gratuity? Can you let me know please.