Motorbike / Scooter rental

Hi there!  I'll be in Cuenca in 2 weeks for 1+ yrs.  I travel a lot and usually like to rent a scooter or motorbike when I'm in Thailand or the Philippines.  I was hoping that someone might know where one could rent one on a monthly basis for a reasonable price. 
The only thing I could find online was the Expensive Enduro bike businesses that have guided tours and u just rent one of their bikes for quite a lot. :(
  In Thailand , for example, I rented a scooter for something like $100/mth. :)
It makes my life so much easier when I'm exploring a new city and finding the best location to rent a condo. :huh:

Thanks for any insight or tips :thanks:

Matt

It's one of Ecuador's quirks, that there are very few options for scooter rental. All I've seen is Freedom Cycle, and yeah, $25 per day is pretty steep for scooter rental. I think there must be some regulations that have prevented any mom and pop scooter rental places from starting up.

Thanks for the reply.   :D   Good to know.  Looks like buying a cheap motorbike will b my best bet then....
But this will take some time to figure out all the rule and what to look for when getting a bike in Ecuador... :(

I know taxis and Pub. Transp is great but nothing is better than the freedom of zipping around every street to experience a new city.

Matt

There's a thread on the forums somewhere with a lot of good info on motorcycle licensing. One of my Ecuadorian friends told me recently that you don't need a special license for under 150 cc, but this particular friend often has bad information, so I don't know if it's true.

I bought a Fatty 150 motor scooter for about 1600 usd.  But you do need a license and a license plate.  But it is great  to zip around in..

Mack,

I have ridden scooters and motorcycles in Thailand and the P.I. as well. Riding in Ec is a little different, especially in town. You may want to check out the riding habits before you jump right in. Driving here is pretty much every man for himself, and you can expect little or no consideration from other drivers.

I have not driven in Cuenca, but there are several others here who have and do. Personally I have never had any fear of bikes, I raced Motor Cross in So. Cal and even did 180 mph down the 5 freeway without a second thought. I did have a moment of pause while riding on the streets of Tokyo, it was controlled chaos. Here in Quito it is simply chaos..

I agree with quito0819 a smaller bike or scooter may be great for in Cuenca, as always you will need to keep your head on a swivel.

Good luck.