New kid on the Block!

Hi, I've just joined this block and am still not quite sure how it works! I'm retired and looking to buy a home and live full time in El Salvador in the upcoming year. Any advice or info regarding either buying a home, visas required, safety, etc. would be greatly appreciated!-Paul.

yep, saw your note I am in Myrtle beach at present holidays and mess, was there in December and heading back in couple weeks by road, may fly back next week for a week first, not sure I moved there in 1994
senorpescado@gmail
Mike

Hi Mike, Thanx for your response! When you drive down, what route do you take from Myrtle? I've driven down a # of times from the west coast of Canada and I take I-5  til the mexican border, then head over and Cross at Nogales and drive straight down to hook up with Pan American hwy.
  Do you have to re-new your Visa every 3 months when you are in El Salvador? What do you do down there, aside from enjoying life? From your Call sign I take it you do a fair bit of fishing! -Paul.

i am about to drive back east coast, but I know all the routes
email me senorpescado dot c

Hi Mike, I tried to email you on the email you gave me but it doesn't work! Anyway, what is La Libertad like? Do you spend much time at the Beach? Any ideas on the best beaches to purchase a home on? -Paul.

Hi Paul, Did you receive my reply on the info you ask about? I sent it a couple of days ago. Hope you are doing will and I hope to hear from you soon.

Hugh

Hi Hugh. I just got your message asking me if I had received the message you had sent answering some of my questions. Sorry, no I didn't receive a message from you prior to this! Still not sure if I'm working this site properly or not! If you still have the message could you try to re-send it! Hope you and your wife are doing well! Thanx Paul.

Paul,
Sorry, but I just received you last message of Jan.25, I don't know what going on with this but I have added the message I sent on Jan. 21st. Please let me know you receive it. My email is hugh.talley@aol,com.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Paul,
Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you, I have had a touch of the flu.
I am very glad that you are planning a move to El Salvador, I love it here.
I will try to answer some of your questions, I think that you should also check out your
embassy here, they can tell you what you will need to become a resident. Please see below I pulled this off the internet site.

Address

Canadian Embassy Office in San Salvador, El Salvador
Centro Financiero Gigante
63 Avenida Sur y Alameda Roosevelt, Local 6, Nivel II
San Salvador
El Salvador
Telephone

(+503) 2279-4655
Telefax

(+503) 2279-0765

[email protected]
Website

www.canadainternational.gc.ca/el_salvador-salvador/
Office Hours

08.30-12.00
Head of Mission

Mr Pierre Giroux, Ambassador

You will want to apply for your resident card as soon as you get here, that way you can get a temp resident card fairly quick which will allow you to open a bank account and receive your retirement checks. It took me almost a year to get my permanent resident which you will need to get a drivers permit, but you can drive on your Canadian permit until you get a  permanent resident card.I used a lawyer in San Salvador but you can do it on your own. If you apply for your resident card you do not have to worry about renewing your visa every three months but if you don't you just have to go get the stamp you don' have to leave the country.
As for real estate, make sure you have a good agent otherwise you can end up paying a lot of money you don't have to. There are people here like everywhere else in the world that will try to take advantage of you. Please be careful, I would use a lawyer, see if your embassy has a list of lawyers if not check the U.S. Embassy site here they have a list of lawyers, doctors and others you might need. I might add that it is a wonderful experience to build your own home from the ground up. You would have to buy your land and go from there, if you decide to do this please let me know I can give you more information.
One more thing, PLEASE be sure to check with your embassy or lawyer on what paperwork you will need to bring to apply for your resident card, a lot of my paperwork had to be what they call
“Apostille” from the country of origin, also all types of documents must be issued within the last sixty (60) days otherwise they are consider invalid.I hope this gets you started, let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Hi Hugh, I did receive your email this time! Thank you so much for the reply. Yes, that information will be extremely helpful. I hope you are feeling better and that life is treating you good in El Salvador.
     I know you built your own home from scratch. I have tought about the possibility of doing that rather than purchasing a ready built one, however I have no experience in doing that! Was it hard and did you need to know alot about construction ahead of time? If you have someone else doing it for you, what does it cost per sq. ft. (or sq. meter)? What sort of building materials do they use down there for homes? How big is the house that you built? I know the pictures I saw of it look very nice. Where in El Salvador are you located? Are you in the mountains?
  Anyway Hugh, thank you for all the info and please stay in touch!  Your friend--Paul.