Cost of living in Portugal

Hi everybody,

It would be very interesting and useful to exchange informations about the cost of living in Portugal. The idea is to help those who would like to live in Portugal.
Don't forget to mention where you are living

Let's compare the:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Portugal?)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer or a coffee in a regular pub

Thanks in advance for your participation! :top:

Sent by Abelhas in Dec 2006

i am in rural central Portugal, east of coimbra

> accommodation prices

rents are cheap. can be as low as 100 euros a month.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)
trains very cheap, 20 euros to lisbon (3 hours away)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

500 euros a month - family of 5

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
n/a

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)
n/a

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

electric about 20 euros a month

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

adsl 35 euro/month. no tv license. phone 16 euro/month line.

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant
it is possible to get a full meal (3 courses, coffee, wine, starter) from 3.50 euros... normally between 5 and 10 euros per head... expensive places can be 20 for everything. almost all menus are REAL food, home made, home grown even often... not like the microwaved packaged rubbish that  uk pubs sell.

> prices of a beer and of a coffee in a regular pub
a bottle beer, 60 cents, coffee 40 cents...

I just wrote an article on the cost of living in Portugal, based on my experience of just over five years in this sunny country.
http://ginovandewalle.com/cost-of-living-in-portugal/

I am a bit surprised at some of the prices given above - I too live a few miles east of Coimbra, but it's rare to find a coffee under 80 cents (perhaps we're talking different sorts of coffee here!)
In general, I find Portugal surprisingly expensive, and with the fall of the pound against the euro we British ex-pats are all in for some serious belt-tightening! :|

goispro wrote:

I am a bit surprised at some of the prices given above - I too live a few miles east of Coimbra, but it's rare to find a coffee under 80 cents (perhaps we're talking different sorts of coffee here!)
In general, I find Portugal surprisingly expensive, and with the fall of the pound against the euro we British ex-pats are all in for some serious belt-tightening! :|

As you can see, the post is half year old. Besides, we are in an economical crisis now. That should explain it. :D

i have found some prices have been coming down, which is good news

http://www.gekkoportugal.com/cost%20of% … rtugal.htm

some info on living in portugal here.
http://www.gekkoportugal.com/living%20in%20portugal.htm

Food is generally quite less expensive and of better quality than ... well... England for example. You can eat in a restaurant for almost nothing (and you have a big plate). But I agree with goispro, it's not that cheap to leave there if we consider the average wages which is quite lower. Plus, the healthcare products (shampoo, etc) are the same prices than in the north of Europe.

Hey everybody!

I am an Italian freelance software developer (we already have clients, I won't need to target the local market), and I am considering, with my partner to move to a country between Iceland, Finland, and Portugal (I posted in those forums as well).

I would like to ask your real-life experience on the subject. I mean, all things considered, between rent (we are renting, at still at first), bills (we will need a 24/24 Internet connection), cost of living, what are your average, rough, monthly expenses?

Thanks!

Hello!
I arrived in Lisbon a month ago and I can give you some ideas about internet cost etc..
It is about 40€ per month for internet (24/24) for 2mg! It includes internet, TV cable and fixe line.
i rent a flat on myself in Lisbon (central area) and it is 600€ per month.
Then  about extra costing (electricity etc..) still need a month or two to see how much it is.
Good luck :)

hi!
accidentally found this ; check it out...it is interesting.

sandcastlesinportugal.com/the-cost-of-living-in-portugal/