Tax return

Hey guys, it's about time to file returns to the IRS. How do you proceed with this? Pls advise :top:

Hi Lara well I was searching the web for the same purpose about an year ago.I am F1 student from Germany I read forbes website 2 days ago and it was said that IRS are about to have some delay in regards to their opening date. I had same problem as you last year...I needed to file my tax return , so while I was searching for these forms 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ for international students I found a website called sprintax so I decided to take a shot and I was amazed. For 10-15 min I was ready with my tax return :)) it took 4 week but finally I got my refund. I am not really in this stuff I mean tax legislation, law etc. so that's what I know I hope I was helpful wish you luck :))

Hey Don, I also heard that there is going to be a delay this year, which is good for me. I have more time to decide how to file my return.BTW I have also heard of this Sprintax, I think I will check it out. However you say you used it - do you know can I claim my FICA( yeah, I have withheld...) and my State TR? And do you know how much it will cost me?

What exactly do you need advice with? Generally speaking if you make less than $10,000USD a year you are not required to file an tax return (federal). Remember the majority of states require you file a tax return even if you do not have to file a federal form.

I will work on a sticky this week on this topic.

Taxes are always do April 15 or 16 depending on which day of the week it falls on. Delay or no delay, they are due this day.

1040EZ is for most people ages 18-25

Thank you, usmc_mv! However I am a non-resident and I think this form is not for me. Last year I filed 1040NR-EZ + 8843. However I did not do it by myself. I don't know why I filed this, however I guess there was no problem since I got my refund a few weeks after April 15. I looked at this Sprintax website and it seems promising, I am thinking of using it since I don't have anyone to help me this year with the returns. I also have to file a State tax return and I want to get my FICA back( I have withheld, despite the fact I shouldn't have been..). I saw that Sprintax offers these returns and it seems quite cheep - USD36. I think this is a good price for this kind of service.

When I lived in the United States the IRS had a website that had a wealth of information.  The IRS is less concerned that you get every little detail correct as they are that you file.  They will be more than happy to point out your mistakes.  And even happier to knock on your door should you fail to file.

Thank you, MiaCulpa :) I am aware of this and it is exactly why I will not make any mistakes :) First, however I plan on doing some more research. For now sprintax is my top choice. However we will see what happens in the end :)

Hey Mia, I realized how IRS doesn't give a...hoot about our concerns :)) I needed to file 1040X for my first year because I filed 1040EZ insted of 1040NR-EZ :))  there was a delay and I got some troubles with IRS + I didn't know that I should file 8843 as well :) to confirm my non-residency status..That is why read more, the more you know the less you are about to be manipulated :)) and BTW Lara i don't know what are you about to do :)) and how you are intending to prepare your tax return: accountant, online software or whatever but make sure you file your return before 15th of April :) and if you find an easy and fast way to do it! Don't wait for long cuz prior the deadline it's bloody hell to send anything to IRS..they are stuck with papers. :))

As far as I know the tax season "opens" on January 31 and I plan to be finished with my return by then and send it to them on the first days of February

LaraClarc wrote:

As far as I know the tax season "opens" on January 31 and I plan to be finished with my return by then and send it to them on the first days of February

Free file opens, tomorrow January 17.

Be advised, the IRS website is horrible. I would seriously consult a tax professional like HR Block. The tax law is overly complicated and recently I was audited myself and I am not even close to 40 years old.

I decided to use Sprintax. Looked up some additional info and it seems pretty good. And the price is good and as far as I found out it is pretty fast. I want to complete the forms and send them and take this off my hands. usmc_mv I don't count on the IRS website at all. True, there is much information, however this is tax after all and it's not that simple. I want everything to be right. Tomorrow I will try to contact somebody from Sprintax for more information. If you want I can share with you what I was told :)

The IRS is saying you can send them tax returns, but due to the government shut down in 2013, they cannot start processing individual returns until 1/31/14.  I successfully e-filed a federal corporate and state corporate return on 1/17/14, was accepted in a few hours.  Last year many tax returns could not be filed until 2/10/13, the excuse that time was last minute congressional action.  You can get an automatic 6 month extension and wait until 10/15 to file, but any balance due had to be paid by 4/15 to avoid additional interest charges.

The system is not especially difficult.  Simply follow the instructions on the form/online.  They will let you know if you make a mistake.  Few people are shot for making a simple mistake.  Lately.

MiaCulpa wrote:

The system is not especially difficult.  Simply follow the instructions on the form/online.  They will let you know if you make a mistake.  Few people are shot for making a simple mistake.  Lately.

MiaCulpa,

This probably does not apply to everyone. I can ask 20 Americans and 20 foreign nationals if they have has issues with the IRS tax returns and filing instructions. I would say 35/40 would have had problems. Especially if you do no speak fluent English. Tax requirements are different from everyone. Ironically after responding on this thread I got a letter from Uncle Sam saying I did not file for 2011/2012, even though I did. Does that sound easy? Sounds overly convoluted to me, considering I e-files both years.

usmc_mv wrote:

Ironically after responding on this thread I got a letter from Uncle Sam saying I did not file for 2011/2012, even though I did. Does that sound easy? Sounds overly convoluted to me, considering I e-files both years.

That happens often enough to people I know filed because I am the ERO, received paperwork saying it was successfully filed and then an IRS notice 6 months later.  Unfortunately it often takes persistence and two or three letters to straighten it out, which can be very intimidating to those not well versed in English and/or tax laws.

mugtech wrote:
usmc_mv wrote:

Ironically after responding on this thread I got a letter from Uncle Sam saying I did not file for 2011/2012, even though I did. Does that sound easy? Sounds overly convoluted to me, considering I e-files both years.

That happens often enough to people I know filed because I am the ERO, received paperwork saying it was successfully filed and then an IRS notice 6 months later.  Unfortunately it often takes persistence and two or three letters to straighten it out, which can be very intimidating to those not well versed in English and/or tax laws.

Darn, I work for the Department of Justice and the director can't pay his own taxes. [Moderated: Off topic]

Once again, are all these hateful responses really necessary?  How do they assist the topic at hand?

I am not attempting to speak in absolutes.  I am not ignorant enough to assume that I know all of the answers to every question in every possible situation.  I am simply giving my point of view from my experience.  I thought that was the point of this website.  If I am in error then a moderator should let me know that angry sarcasm is preferable to attempting to assist others.

MiaCulpa wrote:

Once again, are all these hateful responses really necessary?  How do they assist the topic at hand?

It is not hateful to point out how wrong it is to think that if you attempt to file your taxes online and make an error it will be fixed for you.  Every year I meet new tax clients who e-filed the previous year, and first thing I do is review previous years tax returns for errors.  Often I find one or more errors which cost the tax payers hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars.  Fortunately one can file an amended tax return within 3 years of the original due date of the return to receive a refund of the overpaid taxes.  The tax program does not know if you have deductions and credits you could have taken, what portion of your annuity distribution is taxable in your state etc etc.  To tell someone that if they e-file all errors will be corrected is a gross oversimplification of the process and gives them a false sense of security when they are about to cross a field full of financial land mines.  Most people do not know enough about taxes to say whether or not the IRS website is easy to use.  Sorry if you find the truth hateful.

Can you guys advise me can I claim any expenses or not?

LaraClarc wrote:

Can you guys advise me can I claim any expenses or not?

It is best to meet someone in person and allow for a dialog that will hopefully reveal what is required and what can be done.  Speaking in vague generalities is dangerous and not productive.

Hi Lara, when it comes to expenses, there are many features that should be taken under consideration, visa type any tax treaties etc, etc. I was about to do my tax return by myself by reading IRS website, till the moment I realized how many things should be kept in mind. Plus I wanted the maximum of my refund, that is why I decided to use that online platform for tax preparation I don't know if it's suitable for you, but as long as you are international student it will be a good shot in my opinion.

Which platform exactly, Don? I also want to use one - Sprintax. Have you heard of it??

Yeah , I've used it last year :) I'm ok with it as long as it's cheaper than an accountant :D and I got my refund from IRS :)         So it's up to you :) Good luck Lara :}

Hello everyone.

As mugtech mentioned this topic is very sensitive. For liability reasons I would strong suggest if you do not understand how to file you return, to seek professional assistance from a tax agency. Most software programs offer professional review for a fee. (TurboTax, TaxCut, etc.)

Remember, there are normally STATE taxes as well unless you are lucky like me an live in Florida. Some have CITY taxes too. Regardless, I would advise against basing your filing decisions off the advice of others. We are just giving you general information and guidance. What you can deduct and can claim as an expense has a lot of ifs and thens involved along with relevant forms.

If you are not fluent in English, the software programs might be available in another language but the output will always be in English.

I also have to pay State taxes. I did more research about Sprintax and I found out I can claim them through this platform. I can also claim my FICA. Also I heard from people from my Uni that they got ITIN's through the website, which is good - a number of services in one place. I think Sprintax is reliable I don't know what you guys think. There is a free phone, I plan on calling and ask them some questions. If I like the answers I am going to get I just might do my TR with them. And in relation to the price - compared to an accountant is perfect. Both Fed+State will cost me around USD50 and as far as I know an accountant will charge me USD100-150 which is a bit much for a student as myself.
Have you guys actually began with your TR's? Are you doing them by yourselves?

on google go to irs.com , down load 1040, 1040a or 1040ez , and instruction and learn to file from there or if you are in the us, go to a tax preparer., they will file for you