Moving to Bahrain

Hi we are moving to Bahrain in June ( i know hot hot ), my daughter is going to Uni so she will only be with us for holidays so its me my husband the cat and dog. We have been expats for 9 years, 7 in China and 2 in Singapore.
We are looking to live in a gated community rather than a compound as we don't have small kids, we are looking at Amwaj Island for the fact i can walk the dog in the beach and also we love living next to the sea, however Saar keeps popping up as a good place to live. I guess what i am asking is where would you guys advice we look for a place to live? we have a great budget  from the company and from what i can see we could afford a house with a pool :-)
I would really appreciate any thoughts you have, to give me an idea before we do the looksee....
Huge advance thanks
:-)

Saar is not close to the beach. If you / your husband are not going to work in Saudi, don't live in Saar. Live in Amwaj. They have some amazing private villas with private pools by the beach. It's close to the airport and one of the safest places in Bahrain.

Thanks for that, my husband will be working in Saudi but he will be in the causeway at 5.30 am and leaving around 2 pm so it shouldnt be too busy...I really like Amwaj Island and as we have no kids it seems like a good choice...
Thanks again....

Do not be fooled - the causeway is always busy!!  I guess from your post that your husband will be working pretty near the causeway in Saudi.  Just for him to remember that it is a minimum 30 minute drive from the causeway to Amwaj.  If he is ok with that on top of the drive in Saudi and the sitting on the causeway in the chaos, then Amwaj seems to be the best place for you to be in your circumstances. 

Happy house hunting :)

Morning,

My husband has just moved into a house in Hamala (my son and I will be joining him later!), and he has said that his morning commute into Saudi is about 30 minutes door to door.  His evening commute has sometimes taken hours!!

One of his colleagues lives in Amwaj and is very happy there. 

Hope this helps

Sarah

Thanks do much, all these comments are really helping... :D

Amwaj is nice but you get very little house for your money. Usually they only have a pokey kitchenette plonked on the side of the lounge unless you pay a fortune.

If you are moving here with all your furniture etc then private message me as I work for a relocations company and could help you regarding this although you sound very experienced already :-)

I live in Saar and for not a lot of money we live in a small mansion with a private pool. I adore Saar, it's where a couple of the expat clubs are and everyone is really friendly.

Thanks Josnuggles it seems Saar keeps coming out tops, we will be doing a looksee soon so I will be looking there and Amwaj... My husbands company so all the relocation ( they did that for this move ) so it takes a lot of pressure off us.:-)
we will be bring all out own furniture a cat and dog, our daughter will be home for the hols as she is in Uni.....Its all sounding very exciting and I am looking forward to coming an seeing the Kingdom of Bahrain...;-)
Thanks again.

No problem, i'm sure you will be very happy here :-)

The big issue is where your husband is working. Amwaj is free of any weekend trouble and is very expat if that's what you want. It is also very close to the airport if your husband travels a lot. Saar is close to the Causeway to Saudi if you need that, but it can be a real pain when the locals decide to burn tyres on the roads as the traffic gets snarled up. There is no danger it's just a pain if you need to get anywhere. A friend recently moved to Amwaj from Saar because of the traffic congestion.

Hope this helps? I live in Amwaj and work in the Diplomatic Area and it's an easy commute. 20 mins tops.

Thanks for the info my husbands is working in Saudi but has negotiated a VIP pass with his company...We will be coming in a couple of weeks for one of the first look Arounds so i guess we will see then..All info much appreciated as we have no vlue :joking:  Lived in Asia for 9 years...