Assistance in finding work and general work related qustions

I am 58 my wife is 47, we have applied for several positions in Uruguay where the specs say  for english speakers, but the responses we get are in Spanish - although I have had latin at university and can make out the most words my question is

1.   if we got a work position in Uruguay would our lack of spanish be a problem with communicating with our colleagues at work? Obviously we would start taking spanish lessons immediately.

2.   Would me age be a problem in actually finding work?

3.   Can any body give us a name and contact of an english speaking employment / recruitment agency in Uruguay - we have no preferences in the area?

Thank you ex-pats for any assistance you can provide

Guy & Mari

I can only give you my impressions from living here for two years. Others may be able to give you a more positive response.

Most jobs here will require fluent Spanish. Many jobs only want people up to age about 45 and will state that in the advert.  To work legally I believe you have to have applied for permanent residency and have at least a temporary cedula or have a work visa and a job already arranged.

You might want to look at trabajo.gallito.com.uy .  Many people work two jobs and long hours as wages here are often low and costs are high. Retirement age here is 60 for both men and women.

Have the specs for the jobs mentioned what they pay? It will give you a little bit of a sick feeling.