Help needed! Import our dog to DRC\Lubumbashi

Deal all, expats and Congolese! Our family got a offer in Lubumbashi we would love to take, BUT... We have a BIG dog, bull mastiff (60 kg) we need to import with us of cause. Currently, we are in Mongolia and just been told by professional relocation company that its impossible due to the transfers\transshipping etc...
I ve got a idea to take him to Johannesburg (SA) first and then up to Lubumbashi maybe?
Please, please some one who took their pets into DRC\Lubumbashi or some how connected to the people who might be able to advice me smth,respond?
I would really appreciate it!
Anna

Dear Anna

I am not sure but i believe you can take your Dog to the DRC via South Africa should you wish to travel with
There should be a special airfare cost and a pet visas cost for that and i am not sure about
Just contact airlines company that will be able to advise you on that
I have traveled in that past and seen people take their pet with from other country and there should be a particular logistic around that which airlines such as SAA or Korongo can advise you on
Wishing you a warm welcome when you move to Lubumbashi
Take care
Bruno

Dear Bruno,
Thank you for your input! Its so hard to find out any information so far. I found out so far that there are little planes between SA and Lubumbashi, like Fokker 50, which is not big enough for my pony sized dog))) I hope I will not need to drive him myself from SA to DRC)))

You are so welcome
Perhaps lack of information
South African Airways flies a small flight to Lubumbashi from Jhb however there is Fly CAA which has airbuses 320 flying regularly and also Korongo airlines with Boeings.
The two companies have flight 2 times a week each of them.
Try google the airlines and inquire directly with them.
Hope you find a way... however should you travelling by car driving would be an option it takes about 3 days fom Jhb to Lshi.
Best luck.

Thanks a lot, Bruno! Will keep searching! Driving for 3 days first time in Africa sounds exiting:-)

Get the dog tested for any disease too that might contribute to the dog travelling not easy though. ...good luck

Hi Cazlabella and thank you!
he is all good, up to date with vaccines and health heck up. We struggle with transport, the biggest cargo plane between SA and Lubumbashi can carry a cage which is not big enough for our "horse")))

If All fails I suggest you drive from S.A to Congo. .. That should not be too much of a hassle. ... Don't you think

Hi Anna :D .. we meet here as well!
Before you consider driving up with your dog, please check the route (Countries) that you will follow. In Botswana and Zambia your pet will have to be in quarantine for between 6 weeks and 3 months before you can take it into and out of the Country. There are strict laws, which are widely publicized on the internet for you to make sure that this is possible. DRC has no quarantine requirements, they just need a certificate from your local Vet, no older than 1 month, that states that your dog has had all its injections and is healthy. Do take the precaution to also have it injected for repelling insects and especially ticks. (There is something available that works for up to 6 months, your Vet will know). THE OTHER ISSUE ABOUT DRIVING UP IS THE IMPORT TAXES THAT YOU WILL PAY FOR BOTH DOG AND VEHICLE!  Be aware that you will have to part with quite a lot of dollars before entry will be granted. Talk to me on our other e-mails if you have made up your mind to bring your baby, I can put you in contact with somebody that might be able to transport the dog overland without YOU having to drive... xxx