Living in Panama on a decent pension

All Contributors

Enjoy the way many local and expats help new arrivals with advice and assistance. My wife and I currently live in Los Angeles, CA (no kids) and expect to retire in a few years with a couple of pensions allowing for 5k (maybe more) a month for expenses.  You offer great advice for living well and living frugally, we are looking overseas because of large CA state tax on our retirement income.
Where would the forum recommend living in Panama with our budget that offered an expat community of North Americans and/or Europeans? Sea or mountains? Car or no vehicle, close to Panama City or remote? We transited Panama several times looking for retirement spots in Nicaragua, Guatemala, Colombia and Costa Rica but never took a look here-yet. Your insight is welcomed.

Actually the answer is how do you want to live?

Car or no car?
Near PC or not?
Sea or mountains?
Gated or with locals.

If you tell us your passions then we can assist you better.  What and how do you want to live (and you will live incredibly well in Panama on $5K a month).  But how much of it do you really want to spend.  That is the other question.  Just because you have it to spend doesn't mean you have to spend it.

That's where I would start...

Hey El Cid,

$5,000 per month would give you an easy life in Panama (well most of Panama anyway). You can easily find a penthouse suite overlooking the Cinta Costera, or one of the large seaside homes in Coronado, and see that money dwindle away quickly. However, in most places in Panama, you'll find that you can rent a large house for $500 per month (closer to $1,500 and up for the higher end places like Coronado or hip city spots like Casco Viejo or Marbella).

AuntieFlo was right when she said it really depends on your lifestyle. Even then, I can't imagine $5,000 wouldn't be enough to live on. You can get to most places in this country by bus or taxi, but if you want to move around freely you'll want to have a car. So a big factor is do you already own a vehicle or will you be paying monthly.

I'd say the biggest factor is whether or not you're planning to rent or own a house. Without knowing your plans, and based on your message above, I think I'd look towards Altos del Maria, which is only about 45 minutes outside of Panama City (then up the mountain I think about 20-30 minutes). The views are stunning, the expats in the area seem to be friendly, and you can drive down the mountain and over to beaches and shopping of Coronado rather quickly. I met a couple who does this all the time. They love Altos del Maria. I found this listing in Altos for about $1,400 a month rent, but it doesn't seem to be the average. It might cost a little more to live there.

http://www.compreoalquile.com/consultas … iedad=NULL

Or you can just go to the Altos del Maria site and maybe one of their agents can help you find something to rent/buy. Check out: www.altosdelmaria.com. If I could afford to live there, that's probably where I'd hang my hat. El Valle is nice too and not too far from the beaches. That's the great thing about Panama. You can live in the mountains but super close to the beaches.

A lot of expats live in Boquete, and I know that's where AuntieFlo used to call home, but to me that's just too far away from Panama City. It's almost an 8 hour drive. Still, if you want to be around your countrymen, and up in the cool hills, you might even want to look that way. I'd rather find a happy medium along the Pan-American highway, where I can get quick access to the city and the beaches.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Chris

Oh, and check out my blog at thestayathomegringo.blogspot for all kinds of nuts & bolts info about living in Panama. And keep an eye out for my new site I'm launching in mid-April at [Moderated]

AuntiFlo,

Definately a car, will be in our late 50's and have lived and driven in places like Seoul, Bangkok, San Jose,CR. Besides no import tax on vehicle.  Your also 100% right- no need to spend every dime available to us! Currently looking at taking a trip in June to Coronado and the small towns around it. Considering the a beach residence but don't want the walled complex , golf or country club amenities.  Will consider living in the big city too if within our affordability range. Willing to pay for health care insurance if needed- catastrophic care can be provided to me if I fly back to the VA in Los Angeles or Miami.   Hope this narrows it down a little. appreciate the insight

CMichael,

We will definately have a car and it's a coincidence you mentioned Coronado as that is one of the areas we will check out on an upcoming trip. Wife is alway socially active and would prefer to be close to an expat community of North Americans and Europeans.  Also we would rent initially-purchasing would require a lot a confidence in the place we live.  Not adverse to the big city either for culture, international food, night life etc. We will check out the old city and any other areas you recommend in Panama City while we are there. Can't picture living too remote.

Thanks for general outline on the country

$5,000 a month you will live like a king if you are smart about it. I live in Punta Pacifica a couple buildings over from Trump Towers. To give you an example I have 102sq meter condo in a new building pool, social area, Sauna, Gym ect for $1500 a month with 2 parking spaces. Way more then I need but hey you only live once. I took a taxi Saturday night over to the bars and clubs and it cost $2.25 going and $3 back. Keep in mind this is down town Panama City. I am young and don't mind the fast paced lifestyle. It is very loud and kinda dangerous to walk here so you better be in shape if you plan on doing so. I don't mean dangerous as you will get robbed or some type of crime. I always feel safe. I mean dangerous as far as cars will hit you. Sidewalks are like walking through a mine field with holes and obstructions everywhere. My neighborhood has nice sidewalks but as soon as you you get a few blocks away let the fun begin. Trash is everywhere. Big sanitation problems here in the city. Don't believe all the websites with the glamorous photoshopped pictures. People do not clean up after there dogs taking a poop and throw trash where ever.  Remember this is a 3rd world country with first world shopping. Ok now that I have bashed Panama I need to say some nice things because I love it here. People are generally nice. Not very helpful when it comes to customer service but nice and kind when you do deal with them. You can find a majority of things you are use to in the US such as good modern grocery stores and Modern Malls that have everything. Generally the streets are dirty but once you enter a building such as the Mulitiplaza mall it is spotless. Besides everyone speaking spanish you feel like you are in the states. Best advice is to come down for a few months on a tourist visa and rent a place and experience for yourself before you commit to anything. You get 6 months on a tourist visa. As far as the money I spend money like crazy and don't think I could spend $5,000 a month. Best of luck to you.

Indian expats:  I would like to know how many indians are there in paraguay.

Is it just me or does there seem to be a major disconnect here?  Can't quite fathom how Indians in Paraguay lines up with the previous conversation...