what must one do to sell ones car......

what should i watch out for as a seller

Not getting short changed for one  :lol:

What are you selling??

Renault RX4 petrol manual

toonarmy9752 wrote:

what must one do to sell ones car......

what should i watch out for as a seller

Maltese who will say they are interested and then arrive and offer you half what you are asking.

Get paid cash.

You don't need to go to TM with the buyer to do the change of ownership but he will need a photo copy of your ID.

Terry

This tells you what's required ...........

http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … f-vehicles

so a photocopy of the id front and back - same for the witness i guess

is it safe once ive got the cash to let him have the duly completed logbook

so he has to get insurance in place.... yes

whats to say he wont reg with TM and let me pile up fines etc.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

so a photocopy of the id front and back - same for the witness i guess

is it safe once ive got the cash to let him have the duly completed logbook

so he has to get insurance in place.... yes

whats to say he wont reg with TM and let me pile up fines etc.

You have a copy of the signed / dated V50 document.
You also notify your insurance company.

Terry

cheers T

is the form v50 the log book

No, its a form that you can download that informs TM  that you have sold the car and it requires the seller / buyer and witnesses signature and ID.

http://www.transport.gov.mt/admin/uploa … 133259.doc

Terry

sorry T - i did find it

toonarmy9752 wrote:

Renault RX4 petrol manual

Just PM'd you

Q.....Terry ,is the signed back of the log book on selling / transferring the car a legally enforceable document in the event that the car, once passed on to the buyer, is linked to fines penalties and accidents - can it be used to prove that you, the seller, were at those times not the owner of the car - or does it rely heavily on the buyer actually registering it at TM.

Do both the buyer and seller need to go to TM to effect the transfer - or will having a photocopy of the completed log book transfer or the VEH50 transfer (unstamped by TM) sufficient to offer the seller protection 

Further it seems to me that until its registered at TM by the buyer then the seller is still responsible...... and according to the TM the buyer has 7 days to register the vehicle. The reason i ask is that a few years ago a friend of mine sold his car thought all was ok and then  months later he started receiving fines for speeding and parking regularly as the person he sold the car to hadnt registered the car at all.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

Q.....Terry ,is the signed back of the log book on selling / transferring the car a legally enforceable document in the event that the car, once passed on to the buyer, is linked to fines penalties and accidents - can it be used to prove that you, the seller, were at those times not the owner of the car - or does it rely heavily on the buyer actually registering it at TM.

Do both the buyer and seller need to go to TM to effect the transfer - or will having a photocopy of the completed log book transfer or the VEH50 transfer (unstamped by TM) sufficient to offer the seller protection 

Further it seems to me that until its registered at TM by the buyer then the seller is still responsible...... and according to the TM the buyer has 7 days to register the vehicle. The reason i ask is that a few years ago a friend of mine sold his car thought all was ok and then  months later he started receiving fines for speeding and parking regularly as the person he sold the car to hadnt registered the car at all.

Once both you and he sign the log book and someone witnesses it then its no longer your vehicle from that date.
Any fines after that date are not enforceable on you.

Both parties do not have to go to TM if you fill in the form VEH 50 and so long as you both  sign the form and someone witnesses it then the photocopy is proof ( you can go with him if you want to ensure its done).

You can also insist he shows you his insurance on the vehicle before he takes it, to insure it he will need the logbook but you can keep the car until he shows it .
Also  the insurance company can arrange to have it registered In his name without either of you attending, they do charge extra for the service.

Terry

thanks terry i now feel assured...

ive been worried about this for the last few days