Health Insurance? How it works in Vanuatu?

Hi,

We are hoping to move to Vanuatu in roughly a years time so I'm gathering as much information as I can together before the final decision.

In Australia we have medicare free or small payment for doctors and public hospital treatment also private insurance which covers your own doctor, a private hospital and quick treatment/ surgery.

Just recently my daughter 13 had an accident and needed plastic surgery to repair her arm, a week later her older brother had to have a tumour removed. My husband and both children have a condition that sometimes requires surgery for tumour removal which includes MRIs or CTs. In Australia we have private insurance etc for all our care but on our recent visit to Vanuatu I was told anything above basic stitches would mean a return to Australia.

I'd love some honest comments on how health insurance works and the cost there, and also with the families condition would Vanuatu work for us?

I suggest that you look long and hard at this as it may not be best for you to settle in Vanuatu, especially if you have to head back to Oz for any major treatments. 

Insurance premium costs are high. I live in South East Asia and cover for me, wife and 3 children is US$,12,800 a year and I have access to the best hospitals in Thailand. 

The cost of premiums depends on what sort of cover you want. It ranges from basic hospital only, hospital and outpatients through to full medivac.

Insurance for you that covers medivac to Oz would be very expensive. I suggest you do a Google search regarding this.
You may also look at what medical facilities are available in Noumea,New Caledonia as somewhere to go to for treatments.

Thanks Stumpy,

I have had a quote by only one company and haven't had the chance to read through the fine details but to have top of the range everything including medivac is roughly the same costing as yours.

When we started looking at the cost of schooling as well $6000+ we will probably have to wait a few years.