Looking for some info on rental apts/houses in the Condado or Isla Ver

My husband and I are planning on moving to Puerto Rico in the next few months and would like some feedback on rental apts/homes in the Condado, Isla Verde, Fajardo, Luquillo and possibly Rincon or Isabella areas of the island.

We are retired and are empty nesters from New York of Puerto Rican heritage( actually my husband was born in San German) so obviously are both bi-lingual, so the language is not a problem.

Some info on health care would be appreciated. I have read several blogs and have some conflicting info about the care given to patients.  I know for a fact that in small towns like San German, my husbands family had to bring bedding and food to the patient in the hospital.  Frankly after living in NY for most of my life, I am not used to that type of situation.   

We plan on renting first to see where we are going to land, but eventually want to purchase either a house or condo to spend the rest of our years.

Any assistance or advise that anyone can give will be appreciated.

Maria

The VA in Guaynabo seems like an excellent facility. It has gone through a major renovation plus new construction and is quite nice. I've only used it for outpatient care so I'm not sure what it's like to spend the night there. Also, Ashford Presbyterian Hospital in Condado also seems top-notch, although I've never had to spend the night. The staff there were very professional and the doctors seemed to be very good.

Thanks Nomad, I will look into the VA in Guaynabo for my husband's checkups.  It just depends on where we wind up living.  I know that there is a VA hospital in Mayaguez that my brother-in-law goes to.  Thanks also for the other info on the hospital in the Condado area.

Maria

You are very welcome, Maria.

We searched all over the Island for a place to purchase and settled on Playa Azul in Luquillo. Three 22 story buildings with units ranging from efficiency to 3br 2ba. The facility is right on the ocean and has adequate security. Shopping for whatever you need is either across the street or in Fajardo or Canonavos. We love it there

Thanks for the info on Playa Azul but we are now looking to rent a house in Luquillo, Loiza, Rio Grande or Fajardo.  Maybe even Ceiba or Naguabo.  Our situation has changed as now we have our 18 year old grandson coming with us.  Thus we feel that it would be better to live in a house not a condo or apartment with at least 3 bdrs and 2 bths., hopefully near some shopping and beaches.

We plan on renting first to see what place suits us best.  I am anxiously awaiting our departure for the Island but must take care of essential things first.  So maybe we will be flying in around the end of April or so.

Take care
Tonie

Hello Tonie,

Concerning your accommodation research, feel free to post in the Houses for rent in Puerto Rico section. It might help. ;)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team