"Clampdown on unregistered foreing cars" + info on registering cars

tearnet wrote:

The DVLA quotes 6 months  but Malta quotes 7 months in an 12 as the EU rule !

I think that is just a mixup its like 6 fully months so at the end of the 6th month you have to get out. So it is up to 7 months ;)

What actually happens when you are resident in 2 countries anyone got an idea?

michael78 wrote:

What actually happens when you are resident in 2 countries anyone got an idea?

Not sure how you can be a resident in two countries , when you are resident you are confirming that you spend more than 6 months in that country. So you will spend less than six months in any other country.

Ordinary residence in Malta requires individuals to physically live on the island for a period of six months or more.

From the UK tax site.....
Consider whether you spent 183 days* in the UK in that tax year. If you did, you will be resident in the UK.

That's the basics but there are of course exemptions and exclusions depending on specific circumstances.

Terry

i guess there is the confusion over  being resident, tax resident and domiciled

Well, there were roadblocks at the Sliema ferries this morning - in both directions - with about 4 TM officers, 4 police officers with motor bikes and 3 tow trucks. And there appeared to be no fooling around wiuth them !

The tow trucks left and returned several times in the minutes I was watching - each time with a foreign plated car in tow!

So be cautious of driving a foreign plated car without the correct documentation - the checks seem to be intensifying .

Cheers
Ricky

lets hope that they have a better understanding of the rules than most

Well actually I am not talking about the UK but as you mentioned it I had a look on the Internet:

Residence in more than one country at the same time

It is possible to be resident in the UK and another country at the same time - 'dual residence'. In this case you may need to find out whether there is a double taxation treaty between the two countries. These treaties are designed so that you generally don't pay full tax twice on the same income or capital gains.

And yes maybe there is a difference in ordinary residence and tax residency dunno.

dont forget domicile - another tax and residency  term

itŽs complicated ;)

The clampdown is nice for all those people including myself who are honest and imported their cars or bought new ones.

One should always read the definitions of terms and as you Michael78 found out, the terms mean different things, depending upon what context they are mentioned. So yes, there ARE differences!!! particularly when using the English language. Beware, literal translations.

I am a Maltese Citizen with Maltese Passport gained through my fathers family being Maltese, but I am British born, would I be exempt from the Tourist period of 6 months allowed to keep a vehicle in Malta? Or would I have to use a UK Passport to get around this if it is a problem?

Jccassar wrote:

I am a Maltese Citizen with Maltese Passport gained through my fathers family being Maltese, but I am British born, would I be exempt from the Tourist period of 6 months allowed to keep a vehicle in Malta? Or would I have to use a UK Passport to get around this if it is a problem?

Its not citizenship but residency that counts.
If you are resident in the UK then you will be a tourist in Malta until you start the residency ie living more than 6 months in Malta.

Terry

So in a period of 6 months it's ok for a tourist to drive using their UK vehicle, but then must leave the island, how long before allowing to return and then would it be ok to return using a different vehicle for another 6 months?

The rules are different for the owner and for the vehicle

a vehicle owned by a tourist can be in Malta 6 months out of 12 without requiring registration

a tourist must leave after 3 months, but could return immediately. If you stay longer than 3 months you are no longer a tourist so cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle