Hope youre not sick of me?

Hello forum friends, I will be arriving May 1st for a first six month trial in Punta Cana and have since January 1st  first started to finalize what I consider most important questions. I have had nothing but great advice from this group so in regards to pets;

After the devastating loss of my Bichon Frise,, Mikey Charles, last August, I put off mostly for  emotional reasons getting a new puppy but knew that I would likely get a Maltipoo which looks very much like the Bichon but will be likely 1/3 the size. I had already done my homework on the likelihood of obtaining the puppy last fall and bringing him with me on my initial stay in Punta Cana. I actually chose my condominium based on finding an owner who would allow the small dog vs a condo I liked a little more.  However since I will be coming to a new country, finding my way around etc, I decided that I would likely wait until the second half of my trip and pick up my new puppy sometime in late July when I travel back home to Indiana.   it will be a rush, having only 3 weeks, to pick up the puppy and get him certified and the shots, especially for rabies done in time to have the puppy travel certificate  yet it can be done. Also with a maximum adult weight of 5 to 6 pounds, he will easily be allowed on board with me.
When reconnecting with my landlord / condo owner, he actually suggested that I might purchase the puppy in the DR  specifically somewhere near Punta Cana so that the puppy is used to the weather. I'm not sure how important that is but, it seemed to be a suggestion worth trying out, especially knowing that there is a veterinarian within a block and a half from where I will be staying.

trying to Google search for Pet breeders or pet stores that might have access to such things has been A complete disaster for me, although it is certain that Chihuahuas, Pit Bulls and Pugs seem quite available.  so I wonder based on my needs and the situation, if anyone could recommend the best way to first find the right breed, and if indeed you agree or have thoughts on purchasing in the Dominican Republic is the wise choice. Secondly, what is name if you know of any website or organization with a website where I can start searching for breeders of specific breeds of puppy. Probably not rocket science and I suppose using the Spanish version of Google might be better but as usual, I am likely to get an answer from those on this forum!
thanks to anyone who can help,
Leslie

First, no we are not sick of you honey!  My gut sense is bring the puppy with you, I don't think I have seen one like that here. I have a peluche which is supposedly a poodle lapso cross. I just love her.

Thanks again, Planner, I tend to agree with you.. only took the chance in asking in case someone knew of a breeder or very responsible pet store close by. ... So As much as I would like to train the puppy in that weather, I don't relish trying to get around the area to find the one I am looking for... Funny that you have the poodle Lhasa cross as the Lhasa is larger but has those beatufiful eyes like the Bichon and the poodle has the hair!!  Anyway, I will likely get my new friend during trip home #1... Seeing how well I can do with the puppy while away is another important test for me but I certainly don't want to bring it on the very first flight down!!  Thanks so much,

Syringles

You are very welcome!  I will have a look at the 2 places I know of here just in case there are any.  Dogs will adjust quickly to the weather I am told (not sure if that is true)

Dogs do adapt here.  We have friends with Huskies, Belgian shepards and such who are all doing well.  We  brought our little 14 pound Havanese with us and he adapted in about 24 hours  or maybe less.  He loves it here.

Bob K

Thanks to you as well, Bob K. I think bringing the little one down on part 2 of my trip is the best idea.  I only wanted to pose the question since the owner seems so nice about it..  even making a suggestion to purchase it there ..however I had a feeling I would not be able to find a breeder and puppies so easily, especially the Maltipoo I want.  I can't wait to start this journey in May as I purchased my airline tickets last night.  Thanks again,
Leslie

Keep us posted.  Next step is done...tickets purchased!

Bob K

Awesome I imagine you can hardly wait!!!