FRIENDLY ENGLISH GIRL RELOCATING TO LA REUNION 28TH DECEMBER 2012..

HI

I am re locating To La Reunion on 28th December 2012. I am hoping to find work, learn French, meet new friends and build a new life. I am moving to La Reunion with one friend, he has a job to start there already.

I was born and grew up on the Wirral, in the North West of England, Have traveled a bit, this includes living in Portugal for 1 yr and Australia for 1 yr  for the rest holidays here and there. I have always been drawn to the warm weather and look forward to seeing what La Reunion has to offer. I am worried about the language barrier so I am currently taking French lessons. It is very difficult as it is my first time. I am hoping that until I become fluent I will be able to count on the tourist industry and work in English??? Any advice would be super helpful regarding work, French lessons and the best way to settle in.
I have no other reason to leave the UK other than the rest of the world seems to have more to offer than the small town I come from like warmer weather, oh yeah and the small town mentality can suck a little too! I am a fun, outgoing, friendly, honest person. If you have ever met anyone from Liverpool or the North West you will know what I mean, we say what we see, have a good sense of humour and usually get along with people from all walks of life.. I will struggle more with my French because of my Northern accent, but I think the personality should shine through eventually and get me by... :-/

I would love to chat with anyone who is out there already. Can you offer some friendly advice?

Look forward to hearing from you.
Jo     :-)

Hi Jo,

I absolutely love it here and I'm sure you will, too. But I'll be very honest with you as there's nothing worse than being told everything will be easy and then it turns out differently.

It may be quite difficult for you without speaking French, especially at first. Basic things like opening a bank account, finding accommodation, buying a car or figuring out the bus system all rely on knowing French. That doesn't mean it's impossible - far from it, and if you've traveled before I'm sure you'll adapt. But be aware that there are very few locals that speak English.
Créole & French are mixed up in conversations, so I personally found it confusing to know which was which. I came to Reunion not speaking French, and now regularly mix Créole words into my French without knowing it. This isn't too big a problem, but it's embarrassing in professional settings.

Regarding work: you can sign up as an auto-entrepreneur and advertise private English lessons. This is a great way to start off and make a bit of money. Not everybody likes (or is good at) teaching, though. You don't say what your work experience is, so I can't give much more advice. Apart from that, there are jobs in the tourism industry, as well as import industry that ask for English speakers. But they often expect you to speak English, as well as very good French.

There are several schools where you can learn French as a foreigner: if you let us know which part of the island you'll be on I can give more specific advice. Of course, the best way to learn is just get out there, meet people and prepare to make lots of mistakes while you pick up the language.

Be prepared, also that the 'small town mentality' you want to escape can exist here, too. Reunion is tiny, most of the locals have never been out of the island (or much further than the French mainland) and at times it can feel very slow and insular here. Buses stop at 7pm, etc.

If you are really determined to make it here, I'm sure you will. It sounds like you're someone who'll find the positive in every situation. I wish you the best of luck with your move, and don't hesitate to ask for more advice or help when you get here.

I agree with everything that Pitaya says, especially the fact that the small-town mentality you wish to escape from you'll find here as an insular mentality. After years in Réunion it's one of the things I have the most trouble with, although it's got slightly better in recent years (picture being stared at because you're having a drink with a girlfriend and - shock, horror - speaking English!!!! (not even an 'unusual' language like Swahili or Slovak)).

Don't forget that Réunion is the region of Europe with the highest rate of unemployment, and that to work in tourism you'd also have to speak (fluent) French as 95% of tourists here are French-speaking. I can't think of any jobs here in tourism where you can only rely on English, but I'd love to be proved wrong. Again, as Pitaya says, teaching will be your best bet.

Good luck!

P.S. An interesting book when you start living in France (but applicable in Réunion) is Pardon My French - Unleash Your Inner Gaul by Charles Timoney. More than just a dictionary or glossary, it explains the social & cultural meanings and uses behind a certain number of French words & terms. (The author is British and is never rude about the French, but some of his descriptions are very funnily sarcastic). I've only recently read it, but it's the sort of book I wish I'd had when I first came to live here!

Hi

Thank you so very much for taking time to write to me I really appreciate it. I am very nervous about not speaking French and you are confirming my fears haha however I will try and try again!!!

I am not sure about being a teacher, I would have the patience but no idea on how to go about it, perhaps this is something I can look into. Would you know the prices ish that people charge? Also if there is much demand?

My work background is in events really I have spent many years hosting events such as the Golf open, charity dinners, vip trips on the Thames looking after clients, conferences etc. I also used to manage golf trips around Europe I would deal with the clients, book flights, hotels etc and also go on the trip do all the running around while there booking restaurants etc then see them safely back to the airport. I am also a photographer and wondered if I might be an opportunity to find work, perhaps again with events, children's party's models, weddings ect?     

You did make me laugh when you mentioned being looked at for speaking English and females drinking together. I guess dancing on the table or the stage is not allowed when I get drunk then. What about 4inch heals??? ;-) Haha On a positive note the small town attitude can be very nice if you get to know everyone.. Well and you like each other of cause ;-)

I will be going to Saint Denis when I arrive with my friend then I will look for a place of my own.
I think I would like to stay in this area. Perhaps you can explain a little of what the area is like?

Thanks again.
Jo

Dear Jo,
How are you getting on in La Reunion?
I am coming over for a short visit in April/May and after reading your post I thought I'd get in touch. I am currently a jewellery tutor in London and was wondering if the ex pat community might be interested in a day class or couple of afternoon sessions in jewellery making? I have been teaching for 3 years and have run my own fine jewellery business since 2006. I would be able to run a class for up to 8 students in basic beading techniques (students will go away with at least 3 finished items of jewellery) or more complex silversmithing classes are possible if I can find access to a workshop space and tools.
As you have experience in events planning I thought I'd run this by you and see what you think!

Best regards,
Rebecca

Hi,

This sounds like a great idea let me know when you arrive. I have many contacts here now at the schools etc so easy to set up workshops no problem. It could be a double lesson, English & jewellery design!
Also perhaps you can send me some pictures as an example of your work. How will you bring all your creative material? You will bring it with you or do you hope to buy things here?
Are you just coming on holiday or do you plan to stay here and look for work?

I look forward to hearing from you.
Rind regards
Jo

Hi Jo,

Thanks for your reply. I am coming just for 1 month; it is an extended holiday :)

You can see some of my work at [link moderated]
and my tutor page at the London Jewellery School at [link moderated]

I can bring some tools, but due to weight restrictions it would be better if I can find access to an existing studio on the island.

Perhaps we can meet to discuss it when I arrive? I'll be there on the 24th April.

Best wishes,
Rebecca

Hi,

I am happy to meet up with you when you arrive.

Send me a message and we can arrange a time.

Have a good flight.
Jo

Hi Jo,

How are things going for you in Reunion? I'm an Aussie considering the move. Taking french lessons now (I am terrible at french) and was hoping to get a job teaching English (commercial English even if there is a calling for it). Do you know roughly what kind of $ I could expect to earn from teaching English?

Hope things are going well for you :)

Temika

Hey Jo,

You sound like my kind of girl. I have met and adored many people from your corner of England and your lot and my lot are infamous for getting on very very well, especially in the drinking department ha ha.

I'm new here without french, something you can probably empathise with. I have a lovely boyfriend who translates for me but times I wish I could have a normal conversation without the delayed reaction times due to the seconds spent listening to my translator.

If you are up for a proper night out, that dancing on the tables comment made me smile knowingly, then please email me ASAP. Hope you found a job and are having a great time here! xxx

Hello ezzzbecky > just to inform you that this is an old thread. I invite you to start a new topic on the Reunion Island forum.

Thank you,
Christine
Expat.com team

Hi,

Are you living there now?
I just wondered if you could recommend a language school? I'd like to come for 2 months and intensively learn French.

Best regards,

Fiona

Hi Fiona,

Please note that this topic is a year old. :)

Thank you,

David.

Hello Jo,
i have been in Reunion island for 4 years now,
if you want some advices, you are welcome.
I am French and another part of me is irish.
I am looking for English speakers.
Thank you,

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Thanks for your message. I have been here 1 year now. The messages sent on here still come through on my email.
I am happy to get in touch with you. I am living in St Denis you can contact me by email ***

Thanks
Jo

Hi,

I am not not if I replied to this. Sorry. If you are still interested to meet up I am in St Denis.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Jo

Hi My husband will be in the Reunion this week to work out tender prices.  If all goes well, his company wants us to move there. Please let me know if there are any English schools. Did the Montesorri school open? Thanks Celia

celiarob wrote:

Hi My husband will be in the Reunion this week to work out tender prices.  If all goes well, his company wants us to move there. Please let me know if there are any English schools. Did the Montesorri school open? Thanks Celia

hi,

i'm not sure but i think that there is a Montesorri school in saint pierre. i can check it out  and get back to you in a couple of days!

christelle

Thanks Christelle - Much appreciated!