Seeking Info About Khartoum & Sudan

Dear All,

Hello.

My name is Amit Jain. I am from Surat, Gujarat, India. I do job in a Mumbai based company.

At this outset let me first thank Expat.com Website.This website helped me tremendously when I was doing the similar search work for Ghana one year back. Many contacts which I got because of this website are now my friends.

Thanks Expat.com.

As said from last one year I am in Ghana but now I will be shifting to Khartoum, Sudan and will be there from 27th September for a period of 1 year.

I will be working in the field of agri commodities.

I have gone through all the 99 forums, classifieds, other sections before posting these questions. I left nothing in the Sudan section unread. Some of the information is available but it is old.

Following are my questions:-

1. In which area should I live ? My requirement is 1 bedroom with kitchen and wash room (say a studio apartment). Budget up to 500 USD.

2. I am a pure vegetarian person. Is there any Indian restaurant which also serve veg food ?

3. What are the means of commuting locally ? What will be the approximate expense ?

4. Do hindi(bollywood) movies gets released there?

5. Is electricity and water in regular supply ?

6. Is english language enough or a person must be knowing Arabic?

7. Do Master/Visa affiliated debit or credit card work?

8. Is Khartoum and Omdurman twin cities ?

9. Is any Indian channel available ?

10. Is there any get together sort of thing by Indians?

11. Which mobile company's sim should be taken for local and India Calling ?

12. Which mobile company's sim should be taken for internet surfing ?

13. How many Indians live in Sudan as well as in Khartoum , any approximation ?

14. Any other precaution or a Sudani Custom which I should keep in mind ?

15. I have a Dish TV decoder with me in Ghana, will it work there and is it legal to bring it ?

Answer(s) to above as well as any other sort of help is highly appreciated.

Regards

Amit Jain

[email protected]

1. In which area should I live ? My requirement is 1 bedroom with kitchen and wash room (say a studio apartment). Budget up to 500 USD.

Very easy to find a nice place with this budget in lots of places. Where is your office located to advise you to the nearest nice place.

2. I am a pure vegetarian person. Is there any Indian restaurant which also serve veg food ?

Yes

3. What are the means of commuting locally ? What will be the approximate expense ?

Riksha's (a.k.a Tuc Tuc), Minivans working as taxis, private cars.

Where would you be commuting to besides office and regular errands?

4. Do hindi(bollywood) movies gets released there?

There are very few movie theatres with mostly Egyptian and Western movies. No Bollywood AFAIK.

5. Is electricity and water in regular supply ?

You must rent an apartment in a building with a generator, most buildings have them, because electricity outages are very frequent.

Water is OK.

6. Is english language enough or a person must be knowing Arabic?

Depends. Talking to a Riksha Driver in English? Good luck :D ..... talking to educated people, English is very well understood and spoken.

7. Do Master/Visa affiliated debit or credit card work?

NO. Sudan is under US Embargo, which means no US company can operate in, do business with, or affiliate with Sudan. TAKE CASH ! Take US Dollars and preferably take $100 notes, they sell at a higher rate in black market.

Same applies to using your credit cards online (cannot do that, must use a VPN or something to mask your IP otherwise your bank will cancel your card), same applies to some websites that block traffic from Sudan, and some other stuff (Apple App Store, Android Play Market .....etc.)

8. Is Khartoum and Omdurman twin cities ?

Khartoum is a state, Khartoum proper is a city, Om Durman is a city in Khartoum state and is pretty much considered a suburb of Khartoum

9. Is any Indian channel available ?

No idea, but check the satellites that have them, and see their footprint map to see if it covers Sudan, if yes, then any Sat tech can point your satellite dish at the satellite. Enjoy !

10. Is there any get together sort of thing by Indians?

No Idea, not an Indian :)

11. Which mobile company's sim should be taken for local and India Calling ?

I recommend MTN

12. Which mobile company's sim should be taken for internet surfing ?

Depends on your neighborhood, check which one has better coverage.

13. How many Indians live in Sudan as well as in Khartoum , any approximation ?

No idea but there are many.

14. Any other precaution or a Sudani Custom which I should keep in mind ?

Sudan is a conservative country, no intimate contact with women in public, use common sense and you will be fine.

15. I have a Dish TV decoder with me in Ghana, will it work there and is it legal to bring it ?

Receiver or decoder? If it's a receiver it will work, if it's a decoder for specific Pay-channels, you  need to check if the satellite that serves those channels covers Sudan or not (google the footprints map for this satellite)

Answer(s) to above as well as any other sort of help is highly appreciated.

Thanks A Lot The Egyptian.

Somewhere I had the belief that at least u will answer.

Thanks again.

Will be asking u few more questions.

Amit

Hi amit
Hope u must have landed khartoum, wer r u putting up right now, for which company u work for
i m here for last one year belongs to Udaipur (Rajasthan)
Regards

Hi,
I am here. Why dint u send me a personal email thru Expat.com email system.
I am from Nava District Nagor.
My number is 091 52 58 534.

Please call or give me the number.

Amit