What irritated you in Malta/Gozo

redmik wrote:

One should also bear in mind that these things are universal and not just unique to Malta.

Redmik, I am afraid but I have to disagree with you on this one. Some of the things you can only experience in Malta such as people's mentality (prejudice, miss conceptions, lack of common sense, etc) and I promise you I could give you few examples of bad experiences I had over here. I know I can't be 100% sure this is exclusive from Malta but I lived in places like England, Scotland, Ireland, Spain and  Gibraltar and never had the same bad experiences as I been through here already.

Well I would argue counter-wise. Prejudice, racism, stupidity and criminality are very much alive in the UK and many other countries. They are prevalent in virtually all cultures.
I think it's interesting to remember that Malta has only been an independent nation for 49 years and many of its systems were initiated by the British during years of British rule. As a child learns from its parents so Malta has learned from the British.

maybe they have the evidence

so in all the 49 yrs theyve learned nothing about change for the better?

toonarmy9752 wrote:

so in all the 49 yrs theyve learned nothing about change for the better?

They are learning but the rate of change in the world is far greater than previously.
Therefore, they have increasing difficulty in getting up to speed.
One thing that does hinder that is politics that spreads downwards to just about every level, even to staff (in both public and private industries) being monitored for their allegiances and sometimes being deployed depending upon those allegiances.

redmik wrote:

Well I would argue counter-wise. Prejudice, racism, stupidity and criminality are very much alive in the UK and many other countries. They are prevalent in virtually all cultures.
I think it's interesting to remember that Malta has only been an independent nation for 49 years and many of its systems were initiated by the British during years of British rule. As a child learns from its parents so Malta has learned from the British.

Oh well, if they've learned from the British, they've only learned the bad stuff then. I agree those are pretty much alive in many other countries, apart of criminality which I reckon nearly does not exist here in Malta. But still, there are things I've (and maybe some other people too) experienced here that I doubt I would experience it in some other European country. I know racism happens everywhere too but never in about 15 years or more of living abroad, never had a nurse saying to me and to my wife "...you foreigners coming to my country..." after an argument because my wife was taking too long to be seen by a gynecologist at Mater Dei hospital. This was probably the worst experience I ever had in my life in a public service such a hospital. And I can say that unfortunately, due to my wife's health issues, she has been hospitalized pretty much in all countries we lived before (England, Scotland, Ireland and Spain) but she never felt so humiliated like she felt just few days ago. I would expect to hear that maybe from some other person, but not from a nurse...

I know you really like Malta/Gozo redmik and you always try to highlight the positive points of this lovely island, but that's maybe because you've never experienced half of the things other people did. But then again, not everything is bad and of course there are many things which I do like here, but in the end of the day, I am getting into a point that I have to consider if it's really worthy trying to settle down over. Only time will tell...

mantonas wrote:

I know you really like Malta/Gozo redmik and you always try to highlight the positive points of this lovely island, but that's maybe because you've never experienced half of the things other people did. But then again, not everything is bad and of course there are many things which I do like here, but in the end of the day, I am getting into a point that I have to consider if it's really worthy trying to settle down over. Only time will tell...

What was stated to you and your wife was horrendous and if stated to you in the UK that nurse would have been made subject to disciplinary action, which is also established in law. I don't know if such procedures or laws exist here. Did you make a complaint?
Without those procedures in the UK I would not be surprised it it were to happen there.
Many things are not said there, simply and only through fear of the consequences yet there is a huge undercurrent of attitudes which are very racist.
I'm not blind to the fact that this occurs here and as we know we have witnessed similar; the Arriva incident springs to mind.

It seems to be a sad fact that racism on Malta is very much 'alive and kicking' and this is being fuelled by the influx of illegal immigrants and asylum seekers. Most reports I have read identify this and the bracketing of all immigrants into the same grouping.

It's also true that I have never, personally, been subject to anything like that in the years I have been visiting or living here.

I sincerely hope you find a way to make things work out OK for your family and that your wife regains her health.

that is so true.sorry for all your problems.
I also relocated here from Sydney worse decision ever.

Thanks redmik! Yeah, I am pretty sure that wouldn't happen in the UK. I also thought about open a complaint as few other people have witnessed what she said to us (including another nurse), but to be honest with you, I can't be bother. Most probably they'll ignore my complaint and I don't even know for sure what are the laws in Malta in regards to racism. That's something I really want to put behind and move on...i forgive that nurse's ignorance but I won't forget it.

The disregard for indicators whilst driving.. oh and pulling up to have a chat in the middle of the road :P

lucyskys wrote:

The disregard for indicators whilst driving.. oh and pulling up to have a chat in the middle of the road :P

Those are not irritations; just a way of life.

Totally agree. Some of the things that irritate me most are what I love about Gozo.

lucyskys wrote:

Totally agree. Some of the things that irritate me most are what I love about Gozo.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now. We love it too.
One of our forms of entertainment is to sit in the village square people watching and watching the traffic. No signs, no rights of way, park where they like (but always move if you ask them to) and from what seems like chaos at times, emerges order. Almost as if it's choreographed at times. Sundays of course are best.  :)

Absolutely Mick it's almost like dancing these molecules are missing each other by milliseconds and they don't wait like the uk but it's very fluid Mary's actually decided she likes it and isn't a "polite " driver anymore.  :D

redmik wrote:
lucyskys wrote:

So, when a pedestrian get hits, because s/he thought the car would not make that left-hand turn,because the indicators were not used, the pedestrian should not complain.
Instead his/her injuries should be seen as a joyful celebration of the Maltese way of life.
I love how cultural relativism shoots itself in the foot

Rubbish everywhere
Dog sh*t everywhere
Cars that don't stop when you are at a pedestrian crossing
No decent sized supermarkets
Can't buy milk with any longer than 3 days life in it
No English speaking local TV channels/radio stations (not that I have found anyway)
People don't queue & barge infront of you in shops/bus stops
My neighbours friends who rather than ring their door buzzer sit out in their car & beep their horn & shout until they come out onto their balcony & then have a loud conversation for about an hour...
My neighbours who drop litter/fag ash/buts off their balcony into my front garden...
My neighbours.

FlamingGalah! wrote:

Dog sh*t everywhere

Couldn't agree more with you on these 2 FlamingGalah! I face those every single day!

holgerMalta wrote:
redmik wrote:
lucyskys wrote:

So, when a pedestrian get hits, because s/he thought the car would not make that left-hand turn,because the indicators were not used, the pedestrian should not complain.
Instead his/her injuries should be seen as a joyful celebration of the Maltese way of life.
I love how cultural relativism shoots itself in the foot

You should know that in any country an indicator is only an indication of intention NOT an indication of certainty and should never be interpreted as otherwise. In Holland and UK (and perhaps elsewhere) experiments are being conducted to remove separation in access between pedestrians and motorists as it has been shown that accident rates decrease due to the need for increased tolerance and awareness. So, there is no cultural relativism involved here.

FlamingGalah! wrote:

Rubbish everywhere
Dog sh*t everywhere
No English speaking local TV channels/radio stations (not that I have found anyway)
My neighbours friends who rather than ring their door buzzer sit out in their car & beep their horn & shout until they come out onto their balcony & then have a loud conversation for about an hour...
My neighbours who drop litter/fag ash/buts off their balcony into my front garden...
My neighbours.

Is there anything you do like? Why do you not move?

redmik wrote:
FlamingGalah! wrote:

Rubbish everywhere
Dog sh*t everywhere
My neighbours.

Is there anything you do like? Why do you not move?

Sorry, but this thread is called 'What Irritated you in Malta/Gozo' not what do you love about Malta/Gozo... Perhaps you shouldn't read it if you are going to be overly defensive & sensitive  :top:

I have noticed that you are extremely defensive when anyone dares to mention anything slightly negative, very odd...

redmik wrote:

[You should know that in any country an indicator is only an indication of intention NOT an indication of certainty and should never be interpreted as otherwise....

That really made me laugh, thanks  :lol:

FlamingGalah! wrote:
redmik wrote:

[You should know that in any country an indicator is only an indication of intention NOT an indication of certainty and should never be interpreted as otherwise....

That really made me laugh, thanks  :lol:

I do not see why that is funny as that is how indication is defined by driving instructors in the UK.
As for being defensive, I am not, I do however maintain a positive outlook on life in general. I also do not whine or moan at every little circumstance. I accept life or where I cannot, I do something about it. I have lived and worked in many countries around the world and each one required some adaptation not moaning and groaning about it.
Oh yes, our corner shop sells me milk with 5 days life in it.
And it was a serious question, if you do not like it so much where you are why don't you move?

Omg! Lol cant stop laughing! Frigging hell i agree redmik, if life is so torturious for all the people on here moaning move the hell out of malta! There are going to be annoying things thats natural in any country and if improvements can be made great! But some people on here are really pathetic and actually dam disgraceful to the maltese although the nurse situation was shocking and you really should of complained, and as for rubbish i witnessed it from a small child in malta and half of it comes from bloody people who aint maltese! I can honestly say in 30 years of visiting malta i have never ever experienced the rudeness of maltese people so maybe its your stinking attitude in their country think id be rude to you too! What annoys you in malta is that not the question? Uneven pavements, tooting of horns for sure! It dident say what do you detest about the island that much that you are pissing off away from it! Cos there is no mention that you are leaving malta? Well please do! Go back to ypur own country if its so much better. Chow

I do not mix with the ex pats here on Gozo, in general (and there are exceptions) as I used to hear them every morning moaning and groaning and criticising. It's pathetic and embarrassing.
I have changed my behaviour so I can avoid them or become mistakenly associated with them.
I don't care what comeback I get from this but I regard myself as a guest here.
My hosts are very polite and helpful.
I repay that kindness with respect.
I may not agree with everything, particularly their systems but I would never openly criticise them.

As for the milk...............don't cry over it.  :)

For sure and well said!
I will moan about things dont get me wrong but never like that! There are things that irritate us all but come on why live somewhere that is so bad! Did they not visit and check this out before they plonked their arses in malta! The rubbish situation is for sure worse since it went to eu. I love this island and disrespectful people are just spoiling it! Its a beautiful island in the sun and the pros defo outweigh the cons! And if my opinion ever changes i will leave not stay and moan.

With respect to all here many people dont find the "real" Malta and its quirks and irritations until they have lived here  for long enough to get pissed off by it and then they leave - just like i will - its a dirty island, friendly when it wants to be - especially when money is involved. Respect runs both ways not one.

I dont have any regrets coming here, dont regret living here as it has been an enlightening experience and dont regret those experiences i have had either ... and sure as hell dont regret the maltese friends i have - the ones who treat me properly just as i do them - the rest well they know what they can do  -  and yes many countries have the same issues, 

But i really cant accept the "if you dont like it XXXX off" attitude.

I do however adopt the "if there is something you dont like then either adapt, avoid it or attempt to change or modify it" attitude. Then if that fails then leave, But absolutely nobody gets the right to tell me when and where to xxxx off if I dont like it...

As for the rubbish in my experiences its more likely to be left by locals than "foreigners"....our "hosts" are more likely to leave their rubbish out side on a day its not collected than any foreign resident would ever do and many a time i ve overheard maltese folk openly brandish the line " i pay my taxes let the councils clean up after me" when challenged on the rubbish theyve left behind on the beaches

I was just about to post................adapt, modify and overcome.

Adapt to the environment.
Modify one's behaviour.
Overcome obstacles.

I also think we need to remember and I will try to state this delicately; it is only relatively recently that education has been seen as important by and provided for, the majority of Maltese here. Certainly education that enables greater awareness of impact of actions upon the islands and beyond. Also Malta has only been an independent State for again, a relatively short time, just 50 years, this year. It takes time to evolve beyond years of being ruled by other colonial powers.
I speak with quite a few younger people, locals, they see the flaws in the 'systems' and unfortunately have to accept that it will only be in one or two generations time that significant changes will be able to be made.
As for the 'if you don't like it' attitude, that makes sense to me. Why remain anywhere, when one does not have to? That cannot be 'healthy' for oneself. We all have choice, though I would agree that some choices and decisions are sometimes, difficult to make. To my way of thinking, positive thinking is what it's about.

redmik wrote:
tearnet wrote:

People who find nothing irritating about Malta / Gozo.

:lol:

:lol:

Actually, I will confess to one thing that does irritate but it's not confined to Gozo. It's the littering, anywhere and everywhere.
Used to do a lot of hillwalking and even up on the top of hills you'd find litter, empty plastic bottles and cans. They took them up full, why not down empty?

Seriously though, the littering on the islands is destroying a lot of their beauty.

Moan, moan, moan.

Why don't you just leave?

:whistle:

If you read that properly my comment is not confined to Malta/Gozo. Have you seen the littering in the UK?
And btw I pick up litter when I can and have ordered an extending arm/grabber with which to be more able to do it.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

But i really cant accept the "if you dont like it XXXX off" attitude.

I am 100% with you toon, totally unacceptable. People are free to give their opinions and shouldn't have to read those kind of comments, very rude comments IMHO.
As I said before, there many things I love about Malta but at the same time, there are other things I can't stand it. And of course it takes time for you to decide if one should stay or move on. To be honest, I am a bit disappointed with a few things here in Malta but maybe it's my fault as I probably put too high expectations about living in this lovely island. At the end of the day, everyone has the right to express their feelings and opinions without being bombarded with very rude and silly comments.

Red why not get a uniform too .... or go undercover..... after all the locals pay taxes...

Lol at the OTT responses in here  :lol:

The things I pointed were are only 'irritations', do you seriously think it bothers me that much that I can not get milk with a longer sell by date that I would pack my bags?!?  :lol:

For the record I have visited Malta many many times in the past, my partner is half Maltese & has lots of family out here, so I knew exactly what Malta was like before I moved here. The only thing that particularly irritates me is my neighbours, but I didn't know what they were going to be like before I lived here lol, but I can even live with that too. But as was the title of the thread I mentioned it lol...

Not all of us see life through such rose tinted glasses & can love a place AND admit its faults too...  :top:

As you say It's an opinion and I can express mine. And I am capable of seeing many facets of life and I view them positively; shame others cannot.

redmik wrote:

As you say It's an opinion and I can express mine. And I am capable of seeing many facets of life and I view them positively; shame others cannot.

As can I, but I do not live in such denial that I think everywhere or everybody is perfect...

Perhaps I should think of dog sh*t on the pavements in a more positive light  :joking:

FlamingGalah! wrote:
redmik wrote:

As can I, but I do not live in such denial that I think everywhere or everybody is perfect...

Perhaps I should think of dog sh*t on the pavements in a more positive light  :joking:

Well it is supposed to be lucky if you tread in it ! :lol:

not a lot of lucky dog poo in mellieha

maybe we are just unlucky

Scrape it up and pop it on your Bougainvillea and grape vines, free fertiliser you can turn poop into flowers and wine!  ;)

JayJay1970 wrote:

Scrape it up and pop it on your Bougainvillea and grape vines, free fertiliser you can turn poop into flowers and wine!  ;)

Well all the cat sh*t in my flowerbed hasn't made my plants grow any better, maybe I should give the dog sh*t a go  :lol:

I am not in denial, I simply choose to regard most things as minor issues and those that are not minor, I do something about. As for stating that I see that everything is perfect, how OTT is that? Do you know me? Do you know how I view everything?
I am a positive person, with positive attitudes and a positive outlook.
If you can't understand that simple philosophy, then it isn't worth trying to explain it to you.
I also choose to ignore the sarcastic comments, though I will admit to being surprised by the authors of them.
I would also say that the sights I have seen around the world, the situations and conditions I have been or otherwise experienced make it very easy for me to ignore minor issues.
Also please indicate where anyone thinks I have been 'rude'.
I have not.

And those that were seen to be dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
Friedrich Nietzsche.

Hope you didn't think mine was sarcastic Mick just a bit of fun.  :gloria

The problems are certainly more exaggerated in the urban areas like Bugibba and I've seen both the Maltese and expats fly tip, drop litter and refuse to pick up dog mess. The dog mess shamelessly so, the area of ground next to us that the children could play on is literally a path of faeces, yet has lovely plants and is a large open space.

Yet saying that We lived in a rather sweet village in the uk but it had one road where two dog owners were irresponsible and this was on the way to school, every morning there was fresh poop to navigate until we found out who it was and then burned them in a Dorset whicker man. ( actually we just had a quite word in the olde Inne.

There's a small space near the aquarium that regularly has a new mattress or bucket of concrete appear, sad really.

Especially when the refuse collection is 1,000 times better than the area in the uk we lived in ( household organic bin emptied once a fortnight even  in summer)

I'm thinking of organising a beach clean up where we could mainly  pick up the flotsam that gets swept in from Gozo (too many Kinnie tins)  ;) we used to do this every spring in the Uk on our local beaches and everyone used to help and then we'd have a picnic, just don't know how much support I could muster here though.

Like you say though there are positives and negatives in any place you live but for me the weather, the way of life and most of the people I've met far outweigh the minor irritations I feel, and make little Malta and it's neighbour my preferred home, and fish soup I love fish soup! :kiss:  But not poop  :mad: