Working in cayman

If you decide to work in Cayman beware that while you are on a work permit your employer has all the rights. Your work permit can be cancelled at anytime and you have a week to leave...

Yes, it's an indentured-labour system. The WP is issued in the name of the employer. The whole immigration system here is anti-immigrant (!), and geared to the wishes of Caymanian employers. I've written about this numerous times on my personal blog.

Vittoria, it sounds as though you yourself have been having problems.

I agree... What goes on here is unimaginable.

i've noticed, that you are being active in this forum, so i thought maybe you could help me..
I'm writing to you from Lithuania, Europe. I'm looking for job opportunities in Cayman Islands, maybe you could give some advice how should I start this process? I haven't found any job offers for hospitality positions on the internet ( talking about waitressing, bar-tenting, front desk positions, jobs in shops, cafes). Is it possible to get this kind of job in Cayman Islands being a foreigner? I really appreciate your time, any help would be useful!
Agata

Agata sent me this private message, but it's better if I reply to it in the public forum, so that others can read it and my reply.

In truth, there is little hope of finding a tourism-job in Cayman without coming here in person. There are thousands of foreigners working in the industry, but it's safe to say that none of them found work by writing from overseas. Of course it's not an easy place to get to from Lithuania - which may be why we don't have many Lithuanians working here. We do have some Russians and Ukrainians and Poles, but I presume they found their own way here. So I'm sorry, Agata, but you're out of luck unless you come here on your own and knock on doors!

In Cayman - We now have a 'Bill of Rights' -  I have worked here for more than over 8 years over the past 14. There are some fantastic employers here and some not so fantastic. It would be great to establish a 'shame list'  where government would release and publish names of employers who don't pay Medical I Insurances, don't pay Pension, don't pay Work Permit fees or don't pay Staff . This type of activity is totally unacceptable in any form in this day and age. I think any company found running a business in this manner should at the very least be excluded from bidding on any Government contracts. Trade and Business Licences should be suspended subject to re-instatement of fair conditions. The law should work for all parties, not just for those who came here first.