Looking for a hospitality job in vancouver

I am a Mauritian looking for a hospitality job(cook) in Vancouver. I am a degree holder in Tourism and Hospitality Management and have also technical qualifications. I am looking for a contract of employment or work permt. can anybody help? thank you

Hi christina.maurice,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I invite you to post your resume in the Hotel, catering, bar, restaurant and tourism jobs in Vancouver section please as it might help :)

Best of luck to you :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hi Christina,

Just a couple of important facts you should know. Vancouver is the most expensive city in Canada for cost of living, so much so that the government has to pay a premium to Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers that are assigned to Vancouver and the surrounding area that they don't pay in the rest of the country.

Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver have for decades been the chosen destination of the vast majority of newcomers to Canada. As a result of this fact these cities are saturated with other newcomers so finding work will be extremely difficult. You will not only be competing with all other new arrivals, but also unemployed Canadians for each and every job vacancy no matter what it is.

Degrees, especially degrees held by newcomers to Canada, are "a dime a dozen", nowadays you'll find immigrants to Canada that are driving taxi or slinging burgers while back home they were medical doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. One of the largest complaints of newcomers to Canada is the astonishing rate of "under-employment" people working way below their skill level because their degrees simply can't get them jobs anymore.

If you're looking to come to Canada more than anything else and your heart isn't so set on Vancouver that you won't consider other locations, I'd really suggest that you think seriously about Alberta. Calgary and Edmonton are both great places to live and Alberta is one place in Canada that is experiencing great economic growth and thus has lots of jobs available in all sectors. Cost of living in these cities is lower too.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

:) Thank you

Thank you for the advice.Thanks a lot