Vehicle transport

Does anyone know a good carrier to send my Jeep down and possible cost's? I know that if it looks too expensive, that I could pay a high import tax. It is 6 years old now and has many miles on it. I understand that I really only have 2 choices, Panama and Colon. Based on what I observed, Panama would be the best choice.

Thank you,
Captain Steve

Not worth the trouble and expense, especially since it is old and has a lot of miles. This issue comes up frequently and the consensus is: sell the vehicle in the U.S. and buy one here. Panama  is chock-full with cars of all types. Prices are reasonable - usually a little less than in the States. Some popular vehicles: Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc. Check www.encuentra24.com for used cars. You can also buy near-new vehicles from National and Dollar rent-a-car (www.automarket.com).

I don't think you have choices. You sent it to Panama (Republic), and they will deliver it to you in Colón. I have brought four vehicles down from the USA through the years, one driving it down from Miami. Taxes are not high, and will depend on what the retail price is, or what Customs has here in their list. However, if you have or plan to have a pensionado residence, you are allowed to import it free of duties. I had Faith Forwarding doing the shipping (in Miami) but they are no in business anymore (were not last time I shipped one), but you can get one right there at Miami Port (especially Dominican company) who will do it for you. They send thousands to RD. Just don't let them screw you.

Thank you both for the information. It does give me something to think about. I'm up here in the Pacific Northwest and it most likely would not be practical to get it to Miami. I am sailing June 1st from Oregon and down the coast I go. I may play tag along and keep taking Amtrak to drive down, or have a friend take it to San Diego where I might get it shipped from there. Regardless, Thank you again,

Captain Steve

Steve,

Are you sailing down to Panama?

Could you use a working crewmember?

I've been sailing on and off since 1967.

John
SLC, Utah
[email protected]

Hi John,
In answer to your question, normally I would say yes. However we plan on stopping at a number of ports along the way to visit family and take them cruising. First being San Francisco, then Long Beach and finally San Diego where I will meet with the Panamanian Consul, get the required papers and find a transport company that will ship my jeep. We will start the voyage June 1 of this year. Should anything change, I will most surely keep you in mind.

Thank you,
Captain Steve

Steve, all the people I know who shipped vehicles in say it's not worth it. Even if you're allowed to bring it in duty free you'll still pay the tax, parts will be different and maybe impossible to get, which means you'll need to ship them in from the US AND find someone to work on it. You're better off selling it before you leave and buying something here. But, to answer your question, I've only ever heard of cars coming into Colon, not Panama.

Thank you for the input. The general consensus is to just buy a rig there. Given the amount of travel required just to arrange a shipment, there may be a point. I will most likely leave my jeep in Vegas and have something to drive when I visit the States. Oh well,

Captain Steve

There are several good carriers, and each will give you a quote based upon where you ship from.  We shipped a car from Port Canaveral, Florida and it cost about $1300.00 for everything.  Before you ship a vehicle I suggest you apply for your residency so you won't have to pay import taxes.  As a resident, you are allowed one vehicle every 2 years free of taxes.  Also a container which is nice. 
  The vehicle will be delivered to Colon normally.  It's easy to take the train from Panama City to pick your car up.
Good luck!!

"There are several good carriers, and each will give you a quote based upon where you ship from.  We shipped a car from Port Canaveral, Florida and it cost about $1300.00 for everything.  Before you ship a vehicle I suggest you apply for your residency so you won't have to pay import taxes.  As a resident, you are allowed one vehicle every 2 years free of taxes.  Also a container which is nice. 
  The vehicle will be delivered to Colon normally.  It's easy to take the train from Panama City to pick your car up.
Good luck!!"

Finnesable,

Thank you! This is the first positive posting on transportation I've seen. It does appear that I would need to ship out of FLA and pick up the vehicle in Colon. Did you place your vehicle in a container and ship it with other household items?

Regardless,

Thank you again,
Captain Steve