Transfer money from sr lanka to europe

hi everyone
does anyone know what is the procedure to send back money from sri lanka to europe from rnnfc account to european account or any other way??is there some limit, tax, where to get correct information? I am planning to go back to europe after a very long stay in sri lanka(i am european ) thanks for your help

Welcome on board mangue ;)

May be you can use the service of Western Union! They are very reliable for foreign transfer!

Regards

Sri Lanka has tight foreign exchange laws and no, Yud we cant send money out via Western Union. You can only receive. HSBC account holders can do it though.

For an expat it should not be an issue. HSBC bank has some product for expat which can be of help in your case I guess

I looked at investing in Sri Lanka a few years back and it was very difficult. Could you be more specific on the HSBC criteria..is it as simple as just doing a global transfer between your Sri Lankan account and elsewhere? Is this a premier service only? I will call them in Singapore and see if they know but would like to find out if anyone has first hand experience.

Dear Sportscasual
I am not an investor so don't know much about investing in Sri Lanka. I am an expat, working here and don't need to transfer millions. HSBC solution is that one can transfer money between HSBC accounts at different country up to a certain limit in a month with out much difficuloty that is what I know.
Sorry I don't know much about the scale. Better you check with bank itself. Thanks

tara.reid wrote:

Sri Lanka has tight foreign exchange laws and no, Yud we cant send money out via Western Union. You can only receive. HSBC account holders can do it though.

Oh, I ignored this. Thanks for sorting this out for me.

Have a great day!

Well i spoke to HSBC and got some slightly confilcting responses...maybe i am reading the mail wrong but here is what they say:

"Yes, HSBC is present in Sri Lanka. We offer Advance and Premier services.
There are different accounts with different foreign exchange rules and regulations.
Crediting funds to a nonresident Sri Lankan account and repatriating funds to a foreign country depends on the account type held by the customer."

But on asking them the following question i got the attached response:

If I sold a property in Sri Lanka and received LKR, can I do the FX with HSBC and repatriate the money to my HK or UK account?

Answer:  "LKR deposited into customer's non resident rupee account cannot be repatriated."

I am not a resident so you'd have to enquire further for residents.

thanks everyone for your replies
sportscasual: i had also different answers from banks(according to who answers...)but also confirm it is impossible to transfer from rupees account, only way i found for present time (but again many different answers) it is from rnnfc account to account in foreign country but still i can't find if there is a limit and taxes, if someone knows? some says you can take back only the amount you have brought to sri lanka( not any profit), some says whatever amount... many thanks

Hi mangue
I am presently investing in a beach resort project with a local and was told that there may be a 10% with hold tax to export money but we are applying for BOI approval that and if you already paid a tax on the money (aka salary) that could be different.
I will find out the answers when I talk to a local accountant.
If I find out more I will let you know
Good luck
Philip

thanks Philip for your reply and to let me know if you have more information, i still couldn't find anything clear how to bring back the money, look like we need approval from central bank and a certain amount is possible, did you get from sfida or rnnfc? good luck for your project

Hey Philip, how is your project going?  I am already trying business for 2 years but very difficult at the east coast.  Land problem about posession, title etc....  Will stay in SL first 2 weeks of february.  Maybe can meet and exchange some expiriences.  Raymond Belgium.

I have same problem.  Did you find already a solution to send or take back money? I tried everything even HSBC but cannot transfer from my rupee debit HSBC account to my French account HSBC and I am premier.  Maximum to transfer by foreign exchange is 20000 dollar annual.  Just have to invest or live in Sri Lanka.  Also for Sri Lankan it is a big problem as private person.

HSBC is not open to anyone with less than 20,000 US$ and its a lengthy process.
Their conversion rates too found to be against the clients.
As an example, they would buy your dollars at a lesser rate and charge you more than the average to issue dollars when you need FC.

I do not know your scenario but can assist you in one thing.

You can get the amount transferred through Sampath and they have a special product for it.

I've used it few times and found no issues with it.

If you need more details, PM me. By the way do you have any form of a business in Sri Lanka or outside. If that is the case, it would be much easier through Sampath than HSBC.

HSBC charge £20/transection to transfer money from the UK to other HSBC banks around the world or to another high street banks it will be £30/transection.

Their exchange rate is the lowest I have seen so it is worth to shop around to find better deal. Why do you want to make bankers rich from your hard earned money? To get Premier account they want your income paid into their bank ( over £60k) and pay peanuts interest on your balance.

All banks will welcome you to deposit your money but when you try to withdraw it you will find what's on small prints.

hi...you should have a bank account in your country...

if sri lanka central bank or exchange control cannot hear you,how they will be able to get GT
from European union,if they dont open money to freely  come and go will the foreigners come here to do business, how ever there is way logon to sendvalu.com/en/money-transfer
i like to help people in need.

Hi There. I know this is an old thread. I need some advice along the same lines. I am planning on returning to England soon and want to transfer my savings to my bank in England. I have a rupee account in Sri Lanka. Can anyone assist me?

actually there are two two pdf isued by cental bank sri lanka,U can open a specifiac bank account and send money,Mahinda Rajapaksha government had made good easing policy guid,  i dont know weather it is valid for now,link below
http://www.ecd.lk/web/images/downloads/ … ns/Foreign Exchange Transactions11_12.pdf
........................................................................................................................................................................but at the moment there is one more link below
http://www.cbsl.gov.lk/pics_n_docs/10_p … t/bl_3.pdf
........................................................................................................................................................................
ngo like sri lanka bar association trying to restrict some of inward outward remit amounts,they have to ask from their heart why because gelous , selfish that sombody get rich or have more money than them,they are doing cruelty to sri lankan community.thats why most of sri lankan migrating to other countries where their is no strict monetary policy.

You can send online also by visiting
https://www.ukforex.co.uk/login/login/d … af930de03c

or

https://www.hifxonline.co.nz/Payments/a … dDocs.aspx

Hello everyone.. i want to ask the same question... what are the ways to transfer money from sri lanka to bahrain? Help me please...

Hi Princess - sorry I have just joined the forum so a late reply. Unfortunately it is difficult to transfer money out of Sri Lanka - there are a lot of exchange controls here and unless its a medical emergency its difficult. The only way is to set up a bank account (US$) and transfer online - that's what I do. Forget about Western Union etc - no good here

You can refer to this document published by cental bank of Sri lanka, ----------- http://www.cbsl.gov.lk/pics_n_docs/10_p … t/bl_3.pdf  and there is a hope about full freedom of money, Prime Minister Mr. Ranil Wikramasinghe going to give us full freedom of money and Exchange control will Go which is not helping sri lankan economy, Al paradan money Exchange and thomos cook will be open for sending money out from Sri Lanka soon.

why Sri lanka in economic crisis, This is an education problem, all the people handling economy have GCE O/L exam Simple pass for mathematics. with Distinction pass for Mathematics become Doctors and engineers and they are doing well for the country. Economic policy makers has the greedy idea that we want your money and we will not allow to send any money out of sri lanka causing  under value sri lankan rupee. actually our economic sector should fill with Higher brainy people like doctors and engineers.

Hi, Did you manage to find the information you needed on this topic? I'm looking for a way to do the same thing.

Thanks

Hi Terence, Could I ask which bank you set up the account with? Are there a lot of charges to send the money?

Thanks

Hi - I use Standard Chartered here - the online facility allows transfers to banks in other countries including Philippines - I transfer to BPI without any problems. The charges I pay are $20 per transaction so its better to transfer larger amounts occasionally rather than small amounts every week or month.

Hope this helps.

Hi again Tracey - sorry I forgot to mention - the charge only applies if you transfer to a non Standard Chartered account - if it is to the same bank I think it is free. So if you have a Standard Chartered account in Belfast (or wherever) then its easy and cheap (usually takes a day).

Regards

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Advertising is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello,
as per today law money can be transferred from a Srilankan account to another one outside the country?
Thank you

Hi,

What is the size of your investment. Based on that you can work with BOI to to get approval. Minimum Investment needed is $250,000.

otherwise you have to use a Visa Card option but for that you have to have local account holder's support.

thanks & have a nice day.

Amila.

In 2010 I married me Sri Lankan love, but we didn't have a house to live.
I asked a friend of me in Europe for a loan to buy a property.

He paid the money from Europe to me wife's bank account.
So we buy a house which is registered on here name.
All documents are correct and now issue what so ever.

Now my friend wants to have the money back after 5 years, so we decided to sell
Ower house to settle that matter.
Now the tricky part:

You have to ask permission from exchange control to transfer the money back to Europe.

I still don't know how to get the money back to my friend.
We have all proof where the money came from because I all the money was sent by bank to Sri Lanka and I never bring cash money into Sri Lanka.

If somebody can help us with this bloody issue we will be very thank full.

Hi Engi Marie,

Best thing is approach the bank. They will give you the solution. I too approached the bank and sort it out.

Hi Superman.

The solution of the bank: they send you to exchange control to get approval.
after that, you can go back to the bank.

All foreign money transfers are under the dominance of exchange control unit.
I'm not talking about the limit of 250.000 SRP.

So the bank does not sort it out for you.
You have to sort it out with exchange control department.

Unless you are really Mister: Superman ?? :one

My advice to all those who are expecting to send money out of Sri Lanka is a long and tiring process which is handled by the exchange controller department in the central bank. So the best thing is to contact them and get their permission first to send money out of Sri Lanka. They ask for lots of documents and I think the best thing is not to open rupee account but NRFC or whatever account which non-residents can open there. They make laws for our money. Bloody bastards.

If you're looking at a hassle free money transfer, then Brastel Remit is the place you need to visit. Reliable Establishment which has been in the remittance business since 2012. Serving nearly 80 countries and they are well equipped with multilingual staff at their offices. They offer a good rate for your money when transferring money overseas. Many of my colleagues have used their other services like the Data Sim and the Wi-Fi Units. I have used only their Brastel Remit Service to transfer money to many countries including European nations and I will recommend them to anyone.

Hi, I guess the easiest would be to use btc, convert your money to btc and get it converted in your currency at home!

Hai pillip. Im srilankan. I can help you.

I want to tranfer money from srilanka to Luxembourg, so what we do? Friend

Hi Terence,

Thanks for the information . I just want to ask , how much is the required initial deposit to open a  USD account in Standard Chartered Bank here in Sri Lanka and how long does it take . Also do they ask so many documentation since you are an expat in Sri Lanka.

Thanks in advance