How to find your place/ happiness here in Surabaya as an expat?

The first thing I noticed moving here was the sun, the pools, the food. I thought lucky me! having not travelled much, as I was sipping a melon drink in a lit up restaurant, after a day sun- bathing.

The people are friendly, but you occassionally get the giggles.. some polite and not intimidating, but some totally irritating and downright rude. Have other bule expats experienced this?

After not liking the school I was at, I came out of work, went back to LA after a dispute with people there.. then came back to Surabaya. It took me a long time to figure Surabaya out.. places not so good to go, and places that are really worth your time here, and money.

I go to pool regularly, salsa class in Cat's Pajamas near Garden Palace hotel (which feels like Singapore not Surabaya), make sure I go to Ricola restaurant, and chocolate drops in D'Loop does amazing desserts, music plays, and you can have a drink. I like Lido as there's sometimes bands, and it has a relaxed attitude.

I avoid going to places where it feels like the waiters remember your face... As if you're making an appearance, rather than going to relax there. That's why some expats like to go with a crowd I think rather than one or two...

I like Desperados, a band plays and people letting their hair down; and love the Paragon hotel, as it feels like a nice escape.

Also we found out where to get vodka/ alcohol for reasonable prices. Then we'll go to the premier cinemas, the bar outlooking surabaya city and chill out.

I've found a routine of what you like/ where you feel comfortable really helps here!

I'm really interested..What do you (as expats here) do to relax and enjoy yourself here?

Where do you go where you feel you can really relax?

And what is the key to happiness and making it here in your opinion? :D

Hi Jess1988,

Welcome to expat-blog!

Thank you for your share, please feel free to participate on the Surabaya forum, this might be helpful.

Thank you,

David.

have you tried the eclectic at sutos? :D
well, starbucks are one of a great place to escape tho :3

Welcome to surabaya.

esperado is famous for foreigner visitors.
enjoy it.

Welcome to Surabaya  :)

yes Desperado is nice place for hang out but there is also one place that you should try ..15 palms pub and sport bars..more 'friendly' and you can enjoy beers there..also nice place for expats here.

maybe I could go there with you?  :D

Hi Jess,
Agree about Ricola and D'Loop! :top:  I pick singgasana hotel for their landscape and the green; also hotel bumi surabaya in central. For short travelers, i like artotel hotel; feeling the atmosphere of urban art, simple and friendly people there. If you are lucky, the Roca cafe in the corner likes to offer wine tasting and you'll get discount price for a bottle.

The only i miss here is a tasty coffee like at anomali in jakarta or coffee story in malang; maybe i just dont know...   

I'm not living as an expat here - cos i'm not; streets foods and sunday crowd gathering at city gardens - those are interesting also to explore. Though the becak drivers keep saying 'naik becak saja nggak panas - nggak capek' whenever they find me out for walking or jogging around; but its ok just little smiling to them politely. As far as we are not showing of attractive wears, I still feel safe exploring streets in this city. I had experience lived in other places where its unsecured -as women- to meeting up other people in the public. While its only my temporary living, I feel enjoyable here :cool: