Visa Advice

Hay All,
Just about to move back to Thailand in 1 to 2 months. Tried to get a retirment visa here in the states befor I left. What a joke. After 3 months I just got my Passport back with no visa. I've seen visa companies advertiseing $650.00 - $800.00 for there garanteed servise... Anybody got any advise???
Thank you
mchkin

mchkin wrote:

Hay All,
Just about to move back to Thailand in 1 to 2 months. Tried to get a retirment visa here in the states befor I left. What a joke. After 3 months I just got my Passport back with no visa. I've seen visa companies advertiseing $650.00 - $800.00 for there garanteed servise... Anybody got any advise???
Thank you
mchkin

By retirement visa I take it you mean non immgrant 0-A?

You applied at Thai embassy/consulate in USA sent your passport and it took 3 months to return?

Depends on your circumstances but why not:

1. apply for non immigrant O single entry for purposes of retirement. Obtain retirement extension in Thailand after 60 days

or

2. Tourist visa and apply for retirement extension after 60 days in Thailand.

If practical visit Thai consulate/embassy for the issue of your visa in person.

Of course you do have to qualify i.e. age and financial for both the initial visa to be issued and at Thai Immigration for your retirement extension.

Plenty on this forum (look at sticky post on visas) or other forums to read as well.

As for paying an agent? I know I wouldn't but its really up to you.

If you cannot get retirement visa but want to live long term  in Thailand, let think about an option to get Non-B work visa with a work permit for a language school. After come to Thailand with Non-
B work visa, you can have more time for selection and consideration on your visa issue. For more information, contact me in private message and I can offer you support

Keep it simple...After entering Thailand take your proof of income (over 2500/mos) and you will be given a Retirement Visa...Ofcourse you don't want to work your retired so just get the RV at the Gov't offices in the city you live in or the nearest one to you and be happy.

TrangDoan wrote:

If you cannot get retirement visa but want to live long term  in Thailand, let think about an option to get Non-B work visa with a work permit for a language school. After come to Thailand with Non-
B work visa, you can have more time for selection and consideration on your visa issue. For more information, contact me in private message and I can offer you support

This may well be an option but it incurs much higher costs than an annual retirement extension(Baht 1900 per annum v B1900 every three months). Add to that the cost of the actual course here in Thailand. Makes a nice little earner for folk who are associated with language schools though!

In my opinion it is also morally wrong to offer someone an education visa when they simply want to retire here. If they can't meet the requirements set by Thai Immigration for retirees then they need to look somewhere else or stay at home.

sirrobcentral wrote:

Keep it simple...After entering Thailand take your proof of income (over 2500/mos) and you will be given a Retirement Visa...Of course you don't want to work your retired so just get the RV at the Gov't offices in the city you live in or the nearest one to you and be happy.

Simple indeed!

Just to clarify these are the monetary requirements for a RETIREMENT EXTENSION to your original visa.

1. Its 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on initial application 3 months on subsequent renewals.

OR

2. An income of 65,000 Baht a month

OR

A combination of 1 and 2 above.

Financial evidence will be required when you apply by your local Thai Immigration post. There are various ways of providing this depending on your nationality.

And in case anyone is in doubt you need to be over 50 years old to apply.

[moderated : advertising isn't free]

TrangDoan wrote:

mchkin
ED visa is not easily issued for the people at and over 50 years old at Thai Immigration office.
A retirement visa is the best choice but if you cannot get it because you are missing to some requirements from them then a Non-B work visa should be put into consideration, no deposit required at the bank. If you want a solution, pls. contact me in private message.

thetelfdon
It's just a deal and a win-win situation. There is nothing relate to moral issue here. Every one has more options, advice and wider selection.

There may not be a moral issue for you but there is for me. Exploiting a "loophole" in Thai Visa regulations is one such issue. ED Visa's were never intended for folk who could not enter Thailand legally by some other means. They were/are intended for students!

Guess it depends how you define a student:)

thetelfdon
Surprised with your definition, you mean there is vast of "immoral" people when they accept that deal, to meet the demand and supply.

On my side, I prefer to spend my time useful and bring benefit for everybody, a win-win situation.

TrangDoan wrote:

thetelfdon
Surprised with your definition, you mean there is vast of "immoral" people when they accept that deal, to meet the demand and supply.

On my side, I prefer to spend my time useful and bring benefit for everybody, a win-win situation.

I appreciate that English may not be your first language but I don't think you understood what I wrote.

I said I find it is a "moral issue" for me. In my definition a moral issue involves the principles of right and wrong.

Anyway we seem to have hijacked this thread and the OP is probably taking cover somewhere. Suffice to say you have your opinions and I have mine.

At least we agree on one area(I think) since I too like to spend my time helping others by offering free unbiased advice on life in Thailand based on my experiences here as a retired expat.

Out of interest whats your status?

You are retiring, I see. No more comment

thetefldon
Thanks for the reply!! I was a soldier in Thailand for 28 months back in the late 60's and new i wanted to come back. first off I don't kave 800,000 baht in the bank and my income is a good bit less then 65,000 baht(about half but I thought my $14,000.00 savings and income of $14,500.00 a year would make 800,000 baht at current exchange rates.) Lady at the Royal Thai Embassy says the formula is savings and 1 months income, not 12...( At current exchange rates with my $14,000 savings I would need just over $13,000.00 a month income  which far exceeds the 65,000 baht a month)I mailed my passport to them 02/28/13 and just got it back Saterday.
It also seems to me that the $650 - 800.00 servise charge I've seen to hire lawyers to take care of this is a bit high!!!
Soooo I thought to try seeking the advise of people already there and  know the ins and outs so to speak.........
well what  ya think?
Thanks for your time...
mchkin (Mike)

mchkin wrote:

thetefldon
Thanks for the reply!! I was a soldier in Thailand for 28 months back in the late 60's and new i wanted to come back. first off I don't kave 800,000 baht in the bank and my income is a good bit less then 65,000 baht(about half but I thought my $14,000.00 savings and income of $14,500.00 a year would make 800,000 baht at current exchange rates.) Lady at the Royal Thai Embassy says the formula is savings and 1 months income, not 12...( At current exchange rates with my $14,000 savings I would need just over $13,000.00 a month income  which far exceeds the 65,000 baht a month)I mailed my passport to them 02/28/13 and just got it back Saterday.
It also seems to me that the $650 - 800.00 servise charge I've seen to hire lawyers to take care of this is a bit high!!!
Soooo I thought to try seeking the advise of people already there and  know the ins and outs so to speak.........
well what  ya think?
Thanks for your time...
mchkin (Mike)

Mike
Glad to be of help. I'm from the UK so I need to put my thinking hat on for USD :)

The combined method of calculating income for a retirement extention(NOT VISA) is bank savings(THAI BANK) + other verifiable income which must = 800,000 for one year.

So If I understand you correctly I reckon you would hit this target(just) I worked on an exchange rate of 29.00 to USD.

Only problem I could see is further drop in exchange rates! Which you should plan for,  for example when I first came here it was 65 to GBP its now 45!!

VISA OPTIONS

1. See if they will issue a NON Immigrant O visa single entry.

2. A tourist visa(single or double entry)

either of which can be "converted" to a RETIREMENT EXTENTION which then becomes renewable annually. Cost 1900 Baht for initial and subsequent renwals. Completed at your local Thai Immigration post in Thailand. You report your address every 90 days(in person or by post).

Alternatively you could seek a multi entry O visa in the USA and make border runs every 90 days(exit Thailand). This will get you 15 months if you time it correctly. This would give you time to evaluate whether retirment here is feasable on your income.

Cost of living- this is a biggy. I spend 40,000 a month(I'm married to a Thai)I don't go out to bars, drink very little, but I do smoke. We run a car and rent a large detached house in the country, we live comfortably.

Your available income is about the same.

Health Care: I don't know how old you are or your state of health but you NEED adequate cover here. This can be very expensive.

Notes:

1. Lady in Thai Embassy was probably talking about conditions in USA for issuing visa. If not she was wrong. This is not uncommon:)

2. I have not mention ED Visa-if you read the rest of this thread you will know why.

3. If you use combined method for retirement ext you do not need to season money in Thai bank i.e. it just needs to be there when you go to immigration.

4. Agents: I have never used one. Palm's get greased out here which is why there are agents. Everything I have mentioned here you can do yourself. I did and I was very green when I arrived!

Mike the bottom line: You can do it, but you are sailing close to the financial wind.

Good Luck

I really do agree here in do it yourself attitude, in the course of 25 years being living in Thailand I have been on tourist visas (in those times most of us do the border runs to Malaysia) , Non immigrant B visa, Non immigrant O visa and finally T.M 16 Permanent Resident Certificate, and believe me I have done it myself without the help of AGENTS. I am not retired yet but I totally agree with the guide lines thetefldon has posted in his previous post. Things may get greasy in some cases but overall Thai Immigration never rejects straight forward cases, they even propose solutions of certain problems to the applicants.

I have become overwhelmed with what is required for a retirement visa if I apply in Canada.  I will be living in Chiang Mai and am hoping I can apply there.  I have a pension that more than meets the income requirements.  I would like to leave Canada by the end of February.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks!

Get a single entry O visa or a Tourist Visa. Extend said visa at Thai Immigration in Thailand(1900 Baht). Much easier and chaper than going the O-A Visa route.  However if you are using bank deposite method for income funds need to be in place 2 months before application for extensionon first instance.

Thanks!
Do I not have to have proof of a return flight with those visas?  Canadians no longer need a tourist visa for a 30 day stay but we do fill out flight information on the departure card.

Just read up on O visa again and it looks like the best route.  Thanks again for your advice.
Sharron

I am reading your blog of 2013.
My name is Tom Connell 75 years of age and living in Malaysia.  Originally from San Francisco.
Is there an easy way to get living visa  / long term visa without breaking any laws.
And without me working  ?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Tom
[email protected]

Retirement visa, class o
800000 baht in the bank or 400000 if you are married to a Thai national

Thank you PCMAN !
Do you know how long I have to leave the 800,000 in the bank before I can take it out ?

Thank you,
Tom

As long as you want your visa

I had read somewhere on line that after I deposited the 800,000 baht that I could take it out after 60 days.

Thanks again !

http://www.thaiembassy.com/retire/retire.php

You need 800,000 baht in bank, or 800,000 a year income or a combination of them equaling 800,000 baht.
must be in bank for 3 month. you get a 1 month visa when you arrive in Thailand. then apply for a retirement visa. they will extend your visa for 3 months . 3 months later show the immigration people where ever you are living proof of address of residence, a bank statement (letter from bank) and bank book showing amount in bank and for how long, along with a letter from embassy stating what your monthly income is. You fill in form, pay $50.00 they will ask you to raise right hand and swear the form is correct. then (when you say yes) they stamp the form sign it and you present that to immigration. bank and statement must be 800,000 baht or more. ( monthly amount in latter you times by 12 then add bank amount).... Taaa Daaaaaa.   and every three months you report to immigration showing them where you are living. The Retirement visa is for 1 year. You must go through the bank and embassy thing once every year when visa is about to expire.