Wanting to move to Tete.

Hi Guys.
I need urgent help.

We are thinking about moving to Tete ,for my man for work.
How safe is it for a woman to live there?
Is there any decent housing,shops,hospitals?

I need all the help an info i can get so it would be highly appreciated!!!!

Hi tinix,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I wish you good luck in your search.

All the best,
Christine
-----
Expat.com team

Hi Tinix

Tete is as safe as the next place, and even safer than Pretoria, for instance. Obviously, don't flaunt valuables and do not deal with dodgy people (currency sellers or people wanting to sell you cheap "gems").

Decent housing is difficult to find and, if available, extremely expensive. Often rent will be between $1500 and $3000 per month, and you will probably have to hand over 3 months' worth of rent as a deposit. Finding a house with a swimming pool is almost impossible, but if you do have one, you will live in it. Typical day time temperature at this time of year is 46-48 deg C, and in winter about 34 deg C. If your man is going to be working for one of the mines and get a house supplied by the mines themselves, the circumstances will be more than acceptable.

Decent shops? Don't make me laugh. While you will be able to find clothing at the PEP or some of the local shops, they are all tiny and the clothing is largely imported from China. There are one or two shops that would be comparable with a small Spar in South Africa, plenty of decent bakeries (but no wholewheat or rye bread) and some ok butcheries - you will probably find beef, chicken and goat easily, but no mutton.

Do NOT drink the water out of the tap - it is NOT safe (I know, it gets tested regularly). Always use a water filter and wash fruit and veggies in salt water.

The provincial hospital is terrible, but the local chemists and gp's are competent.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Hi guys,

I know this post is old. So Tinix are you now in Tete? I am also likely to be moving there in 2 months time and i am looking for a 2 bedroom flat/house to rent as well as office space. With thos kind of temps then aircon is a must even at home. Marike are you still in Tete yourself?

Regards

Hi Marike

Moved to Tete three months ago and would be keen to meet up with some South Africans.

Nematombo

Happy to help, Marike's statements are true to fact. Let me know if you want help and we can probably chat on Skype or Viber if you have access.

Best of luck.

Peds

Good morning,

I see that most of you are looking at moving up to Tete.  My husband has been there for about a year now working for an exploration company.

My daughter and I are looking at moving up there aswell.

Would you perhaps know where we could look for houses - is there a website?

It seems great that there are so many South Africans up there, so one would not get lonely up there......

Looking forward to a response.

Have a great day,
Chantel

PS PEDS - How are you finding it up there?

Funny.. But Tete's probably safer than home - not a lot of criminal activity (but then again, the guard at the house has a shotgun! :cool: Things have changed a lot in Tete in the past 3 years, there's a dentist & an optometrist in town. Supermarket is called VIP - like a small friendly grocer x indian x china shop. Fruit & Veg I get from the local market - tomatoes, pineapples, potatoes (only in winter) onion & eggs are quite common though expensive - a box of apples will cost you around R600. We have 4 butcheries now & a deli - hosting "local" & "SA" beef. Obviously this is quite expensive! You can not even think about drinking the water - its either bottled or not at all. Fast food has only become available in the past 8 months - there are a couple of new pizzeria's & 2 or 3 restaurants (of which café del rio is the most popular. Toiletries are also now available in stores, but if your husband uses specific products rather pack it. There is a GAME & Checkers in Malawi (about 300km from Tete) the only other recreational activity is fishing at Cobora Bassa Dam (100km from Tete)Hope this helps!!

Hie all. I too have been thinking of moving to tete, so am looking for a place to stay and a start up job

Hi,

Are you still looking for accommodation in Tete?

Kind regards,

Jorge Mauro

Hi Jorge,

Please note that Free advert are note authorized on the forum.

Thank you,

David.

where you coming from? yes there are private hospitals, private schools, and houses dependents on the company your man is working for, i stay at the comdominiums and the accomodation is very good, howeever schools n hospitals arent the best but yes its coming up, n yes many women stay here with thr spouses

My husband and I are also looking at moving to Tet, (he will be going as an expat) we have 2 children 1 year and 5 years old, I understand there is 2 schools Young Gemynds and Emerald International, can anyone please confirm if there are any other schools?  Does anyone know of a website I can visit to see available houses.

Hi Marike

Might be moving soon in the next couple of months to Tere due to work, i need to know if is there any preschools availible in Tete for 3 year olds? i understand that there is 2 schools but only from grade 1.

What other advantages is there for toddlers?

Hi Louwa1

Do you maybe know if there's any preschools availible in Tete. I have a 3 year old currently in creche in South Africa and my worst worries is that she might be very lonely thta side.

Don't worry, my fear aswell.  I have made contact with a lady in Tete, and her children is in Young Gemynds, they take todlers from 3 years onwards.  You can also google it, looks nice.

Sjoe, I'm so relieved now. I've googled and saw that they taking from 3year olds.

Thank u so much, its heartly appreciated.

Hi... does anyone know of long term accommodations in your CHIMOIO.
I'm looking for a 2bedroom pad.

Hi... Young Gemynds would be OK, but Emerald International can be avoided. An alternative would be the International School at the BAT PLANT (Tobacco Company). They are jacked up and on par globally.

Hi All

I have just 1 month left in SA before moving to Tete, if all goes well this side. What may i take with besides clothing, I had to sell all my furniture, is there small tuff i can take.

[Moderated: post an advert in housing section pls]

hi have u finally moved to tete? if so how is it and how are you copying up

Morning!!
Is there someone here who can help me with info on moving tot Tete?
My husband has to go for work, but I have no idea on where to start looking for housing and things like that....
Availability of cars and stores to by groceries and things like that?
Any info would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
:)

Hi Maureen,

Housing and other amenities are very limited and expensive, but anything is available.Housing would set you back $2500 to $3000.
Hier is motors te koop maar jy kan joune sambring gaan jou R500 per maand kos vir tydelike invoer permit en versekering.
Kos en groente beskikbaar but sometimes very limited greens and again pricey, shops sell almost anything you find in SA but you need to visit all the shops to complete your shopping.The only clothes to buy are chinese

Tete is very busy city and traffic is hectic after 17h00 veral as jy oor die brug moet gaan, so soek huis in Matema rond.
As jy meer inligting soek kan jy my bel +258 843137254. Waar gaan jou man werk?

Hi I am indian planning to move to tete to work in mining company. Is there any good grade 8 school. i want to bring my family, else I will come alone. how is the job scenerio currently in mining sector at managerial levels.

You don't have a good school in tete, especially students studies in India and relocating here. Secondly there is a slow down in Mozambique because of elections , it may pick up later.

So come alone don't disturb your family.