Driving from the USA to Panama City, Panama ?

Anyone ever drive from the USA to Panama?
My girlfriend has a house in Panama City, Panama.
When we retire we are thinking of spending 6 months in Panama (winter) and 6 months in Utah, USA (summer).

It would be nice to leave one of our cars at her house in Panama City.
Once established we would fly between the USA and Panama.

So what are your thoughts about driving a car down to Panama?

John

Drove to David, Panama from St. Louis, MO five and a half years ago and had a wonderful time doing it.  I would NOT suggest anyone do it now!  To much has changed and the drug cartels are killing and kidnapping all over.  Generally speaking, it is not something the average person is equipped to do even in good times.  Generally speaking it is easier to purchase a car here anyway.  Generally speaking, Central and Southern Americans are very friendly and helpful.  Unfortunately, it only takes one bad experience to turn you off on Central or Southern America and could be harmful are life threatening. 
Regards,
Terry

It is expensive and complicated to import a car here. I think it would be much easier to just buy something down here. And, it sounds like a heck of a drive! I'm not sure about safety through the entire route and all the border crossings etc. Also, research the requirements to enter Panama which can change without notice. 
http://blog.thepanamaadventure.com/2013 … ca-border/ (A blog post I wrote about one of our border crossings)

http://www.youtube.com/user/halfthrottle  This guy made the trip from Utah to Panama on his motorcycle. He's back in the US now, nice guy, would probably be happy to talk with you.

Kris

johnhlong wrote:

Anyone ever drive from the USA to Panama?
My girlfriend has a house in Panama City, Panama.
When we retire we are thinking of spending 6 months in Panama (winter) and 6 months in Utah, USA (summer).

It would be nice to leave one of our cars at her house in Panama City.
Once established we would fly between the USA and Panama.

So what are your thoughts about driving a car down to Panama?

John