Considering moving to Greece

I have met a beautiful girl from Greece and she is now my gf and it is pretty serious. I am thinking about moving to Greece.

What do you think? I am skeptic about this being a good idea, especially when I read about how bad the economy is.

How do you feel about Greece's situation now? 4 years since the crisis started and the country is still drowning in unemployment  (Unemployment Rate (seasonally adjusted) - Greece), currently more than 27 %, people are migrating outside of greece, population growth almost down to 0% (Population Growth - Greece), yet unemployment is still on the rise.

Can a foreigner find a job in Greece?

greece is a very big NO NO.does your girlfriend have a job here in greece,if she does she is lucky.You may find in hotels in the summer season but the pay will be very low and you will probably be without stamps and without public health care,you would have to take out private cover.Most young people are moving out for their future so maybe best for your girlfriend to go to where you are.

concertina wrote:

greece is a very big NO NO.does your girlfriend have a job here in greece,if she does she is lucky.You may find in hotels in the summer season but the pay will be very low and you will probably be without stamps and without public health care,you would have to take out private cover.Most young people are moving out for their future so maybe best for your girlfriend to go to where you are.

She doesn't have a job, but she is planning to help run the family business (surprisingly they are doing well), but still surely I need to find my own job independently.

Thanks a lot for your reply, I agree with you, it is probably better to stay in Dubai.

having said to you no no,I see the Greeks opening up busines places,today we drove to our cottage and saw new houses going up,cafes opening,and they spend a lot of money refurbishing premises.I mean lots.so I dont know,A family business doing well is a good sign,if you are really serious for your girl and they will take you in the business why not.I can only tell you that as an older person and knowing that the life slips so quickly away,we all strive so for career and mortgage,that by the time we have realised what really matters  in the life we are too old and tired to turn things around.You need just a tiny place to live,a loving partner and health care cover,live with minimal overheads,family support and be happy every moment,where there is a will,there is a way.Best wishes,concertina

concertina wrote:

You need just a tiny place to live,a loving partner and health care cover,live with minimal overheads,family support and be happy every moment,where there is a will,there is a way.Best wishes,concertina

Thanks a lot concertina, that is very thoughtful and romantic, all the best to you too

Hi,

I've been working in Greece, Santorini Island for 3 seazons starting to 2011 until now  and I felt the economy going down.In my first seazon I had the salary 900 e + comision. Nou it is only 700 and comision for 12 hours working per day, every single day  wihtout break or day off.!!!
If you find a job in the islands you have 90% chances to work more than 10 h/ day every day without day off until the end of the seazon. When the seazon finish you will live only from the unemployment benefit that is only 350 euro per month for only 5 months and you will recieve it after 2 seazons of working.One seazon it's not enough.
The minimal salary for the moment is 500 euro per month and if you are lucky you can find with 700 or 800.You can find jobs in hotels, bars, restaurants, shops.

This is all I know about them.

If you want to get a job in the islands you have to come from spring ( end of April or begining of May ). There are many papers to make before you start working.
In Athens it's even worse.

So in my opinion, don't do it :) I am planning to move to the UK , so I will go out of here soon.

For other informations don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers !

From what I know from my friends in Greece life is not easy,it will be really hard to find work.I was there a year ago and I moved in Canada because the wages in Greece are low and things do not seem to get any better.Maybe it would be a good idea if your gf move to Dubai.

Stay in Dubai!!! I just left Greece and I am so glad..!Just got  Back in Canada and I appreciate Canada much more now...

@miqubal - how can we help you please ?  :)